What to do with beets?

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Make borscht........I just got myself hungry!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    oh, and you can also sautee up the greens. i haven't tried it yet, but i want to next time.

I did that last night actually! Came out amazing. I did a braised veal shank with bacon wrapped figs and sauteed the beet greens with the leftover sauce form the braising liquid with bacon fat. Came out really really good.

2lt688z.png

Um, I know we just met, and this is crazy.... Yum
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I love to roast them in the oven along with potatoes, onions, or whatever other vegetables looked good at the store. Sooooo good!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Steam or Roast them.

If I steam them, I cut them into even cubes steam them then drizzle balsamic vinegar over them and eat them by themselves or tossed into a salad.

Roasting them, I drizzle with olive oil and 4-5 garlic cloves and roast them @425 covered with foil until tender then take the foil off and cook for another 5 minutes. Yum!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Where I live raw grated beets ( often together with raw grated jicama and carrots ) are a popular snack, drizzled with lime juice and sprinkled with hot pepper flakes.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have only had them in salads. They taste like dirt to me? I know they are so good for you, so I would love to learn to like them!
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    pickled beets are soooo good

or use a mandolin and turn them into beet chips yumm
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Bury them back in the ground, where they belong. They taste like dirt anyway.
  • aileengh
    aileengh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your ideas. They sound delicious. The man at the farmers' market told me to cook with the skin on and about an inch of the tops left in tact or else all the juice would run out and they'd be dry. But I see a lot of you peel yours first, so I think I'll try it both ways. One way or another, I'll be fixing them for dinner tonight.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I like them steamed, seasoned with a little garlic powder and salt, and serve with diced avocado on top.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Slice them thin into matchsticks - raw- and toss with yoghurt and mint and black pepper ...

Or with yoghurt plue dry roasted mustard seeds (fab!)

Add cooked to corn beef hash

Make chocolate beet root cake

Slice very very thin and eat as they are or add to an apple and celery salad

Make betrroot and orange jam

Roast or boil

Or make beet root and ginger chutney

I get a lot of beet root in my veggie box - can you tell?