Anyone on Contrave?

Options
I started Contrave December 16th weighing 216lbs. No horrible side effects, just tired the first two weeks. It is 1/3/16 and I weigh 204lbs. Is anyone else on this medication? I have no coverage for this medication. Does anyone know how to save money taking Contrave? Do any of those prescription discount cards save you money? Add me as a friend and I would be happy to share the journey.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Given that Contrave has a psychoactive component where suicidal thoughts are a possible side effect, you should discuss with your doctor anything that would have you changing the dosage or schedule.

As for prescription discount cards or other methods of saving money, check with your pharmacy. Also ask your pharmacist if there are programs that help with affordability by the manufacturer.

Lastly, I hope your doctor has discussed a long-term maintenance plan that gives you a way of eating healthily and at a level that helps you avoid regaining the weight.
  • Kitty_Nikki
    Kitty_Nikki Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just Googled it. If you look on http://www.goodrx.com/contrave you can look at the different prices at different pharmacies. (Looks like $200ish dollars is the norm). The website for Contrave has a discount card you can sign up for to get the prescription for $70. https://www.contrave.com/savings

As for the side effects you just have to decide for yourself if it is worth it (If you get any of them). I assume you already discussed with your doctor and pharmacist if you have already started it.
  • jakummerle
    jakummerle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of prescribed Contrave nothing horrible with side effects as of yet. Haven't been starving or felt the need to just nosh and eat all day long and I'm not yet on full dosage - struggling to take in 1200 calories so far...hope this is promising sign. Start date 01/02/16. Will keep posting as time goes on.
  • nicholelks1988
    nicholelks1988 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am down to 199lbs and I didnt end up getting any side effects. I use Walmart pharmacy and they wont take the discount that Contrave issues on their website. They told me that it only works WITH insurance, and since my insurance does not cover it they wont use it. It states right on the page that it should cut the price to $70 WITHOUT INSURANCE or $55 WITH INSURANCE but I am in Louisiana where I have had NO luck with people. Anyway, heading to the doctor tomorrow for a second month refill. I eat healthy. I have a green smoothie (2 cups spinach, one cup water, a tbsp coconut oil, and frozen fruit) every morning for breakfast and sometimes again for lunch. I eat as clean as possible and I workout to Beachbody dvds as well as walking with my kids and dogs. My issue wasnt exactly that I dont live a healthy lifestyle but that on days when my depression hit I would stress eat. If there was sugar in the house then I would hit it hard. I drink water all day long, nothing else (except my smoothies, obviously.) The weight just wont fall off and I have been trying for SEVEN YEARS. This is the first time that the weight has started coming off short of me starving myself. I dont feel hungry on it. I can eat a quarter of whats on my plate and feel satisfied. I have no cravings for sugar (which I had felt certain that I was addicted to for various reasons.) Basically, I feel like this has given me a hand with my willpower. I wont stay on it forever and I know that. I dont feel that I will have any issue maintaining the weight loss once off of the medication. If I can get to my goal weight then I can stop hating myself and have fun with weight lifting, boxing, and other types of workouts that I have been too embarrassed to try outside of my home.
  • joggrri
    joggrri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found a contrave forum. Just started today and hope to go from 230 to 175. I did fitnesspal several years ago and loved it. I was using phentermine at that time. Hoping for a good journey and weight loss.
  • Smileitsval
    Smileitsval Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I just started yesterday and it through me for a loop. I was at work and began feeling nauseated, dizzy and just exhausted. I hate feeling nauseated so I really need to figure out if I want to continue. I have to be alert at work and this seemed to prevent me from doing so and it's only 1 day. Some suggested, "took a Dramamine last night and it completely wiped out that terrible sick feeling but it also made me very sleepy. I chewed the Bonine this morning since it's non drowsy and it kicked all those symptoms. Fatigue is gone, headaches are gone, nausea is gone and best of all, cravings and hunger is still gone too! Just wanted to share the wealth :)" I'll try this, hope it works
  • just1joanna
    just1joanna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this in a couple of days. Anybody have any updates on the side effects?
  • magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    First few weeks for the worst side effect was headaches. Water helps a lot with the headaches. When it got really bad I would cut down my dosage but that stopped me from getting to 4 a day regularly. So I started taking the night dose right after supper instead of bed time, so the PM dose was farther apart from the AM dose. That did the trick.
    Now, on month 4 the constipation is the worst. It's not painful but I feel a little queasy when I haven't gone in two or three days. Prunes, dried apricots, Fiber One all help a little. And water. Drink lots of water. I don't want to use any other medication for it so I hope my body eventually adjusts and gets more regular.
    Last thing is the size of the pill. Good lord it's HUGE and I choked on them every time, so I got a pill splitter to break them in half. Paperwork says not to do that, but there is no other way to get them down.
    I'm down 22 pounds and feel great. No cravings, no desire to go for second helpings. Half a bagel? It's plenty. Half a baked potato? More than enough. Two cups of pasta? I couldn't eat more than that. Dinner rolls? No, I'm good, thanks. It's like I now know how "normal" people eat "normal" portions.
  • taniiakh
    taniiakh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started week 3. Are you supposed to take both am pills at the same time? I didn't have many side effects until this increased dosage! Wow!