Hypoglycemia?

Options
warrennotes
warrennotes Posts: 6 Member
Need recipes / diet tips for improving hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Anyone out there with this condition?

Replies

• Melij
    Melij Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia. Kind of the opposite of diabetes. Sugar spikes your insulin level. If my insulin level goes too high it drives my blood sugar down - sometimes to very dangerous levels if I don't catch it in time. I usually can but the symptoms are not always the same so once in awhile it gets pretty bad. I have to be very careful exercising too. It all has to balance and can be a juggling mess sometimes. :)
    I have to eat protein before exercise. I also have to watch the glycemic index of what I eat to try to keep the insulin spike from occurring. I eat baked sweet potatoes (plain) instead of white potato. I can eat low sugar oatmeal but have problems with milk and cold cereal even though I don't eat the ones with added sugar. The carbs are just bad. I hate when my sugar goes down because I'm forced to eat and I don't always the calories to spare in my goal allotment and usually I'm not hungry either. I eat glucose tablets to bring my sugar up quickly but then I have to eat a protein/low carb combo to stabilize it otherwise the spike from the glucose tabs drives my sugar back down. Vicious cycle. Anyway, managing your hypoglycemia will depend on what is causing it. If you only have trouble when dieting you may not be eating enough, or at least not enough of the right things. Since I have no idea what the root of your hypoglycemia is I really can't advise.