Count macros or calories on bulk?

Options
Wondering if hitting macro ratios matters when you're in a bulk or just as long as you hit your calorie intake that puts you in a surplus?

Replies

• elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Your total daily calories will determine overall weight gain/loss, your macronutrient breakdown will determine what type of weight is gained or lost, whether it be muscle or fat.

Just how accurately you decide to employ your calorie tracking is up to you and depends how serious you are about your goals.

If you want the very best results possible, go ahead and begin counting calories as accurately as you can, and for even better results, you should be counting macros as well.

This will ensure that you create a precise calorie surplus that helps you gain muscle while minimizing fat gain.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    jplinis wrote: »
    Wondering if hitting macro ratios matters when you're in a bulk or just as long as you hit your calorie intake that puts you in a surplus?

When I was bulking, I made sure to hit the calorie amount every day and trying to stay within the macros as much as possible. That wasn't always possible but I made sure not to go overboard on the fat macro. As long as you are hitting your calorie intake, that is what counts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    both ..get into a surplus and make sure that you hit your macros ...
  • jplinis
    jplinis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    jplinis wrote: »

When I was bulking, I made sure to hit the calorie amount every day and trying to stay within the macros as much as possible. That wasn't always possible but I made sure not to go overboard on the fat macro. As long as you are hitting your calorie intake, that is what counts.

That's what I wondered because I see people always suggest things like peanut butter, avocado and oils. And thought maybe macro ratios aren't so important as long as you're in a surplus.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Generally you keep macros the same, and just add calories in the form of Carbs mostly.