Mfp double counting fitbit calories even when I enter workout times

Options
My understanding was that when you manually enter exercise, you enter the exact times of your workout so that mfp knows not to give you credit for steps taken during the workout so that the calories are not double counted. Am I wrong? I have tried this for several days and the same thing happens every time. For example, say that after my cardio workout my fitbit says I have around 19,000 steps. My diary says that the calorie adjustment for this is a little over 600 calories. When I go to manually enter my workout, I am careful to record the start and end time to the exact minute. About 5,000 of my fitbit steps were earned during the workout time, so after I enter that, I should expect to see the fitbit calorie adjustment go down, right? But it stays exactly the same, a little over 600 calories. So then if I try to enter my workout calories burned (using my hrm), it will "double count" some from the fitbit making my total inaccurate.

I did a search and saw that some people were just relying totally on the fitbit for exercise calories as long as their workout was something step based rather than logging it into mfp. I don't want to do that because even though my workouts on cardio days are somewhat step based, it's totally different than just walking. For example, one of the machines that I do is a combination of a stair stepper and an elliptical and I set it on a higher resistance level. This machine is extremely hard for me and my heart rate is typically around 190 while I'm on it. My fitbit usually registers around 3,000 steps for the half hour that I'm on the machine since I tend to be moving slowly due to the heavy resistance. Obviously if I just leisurely walked 3000 steps I'd be burning far fewer calories so I don't think it's accurate to just rely on fitbit. I want to be able to count my workout calories separate from any extra walking that I do, especially for when I get a bit farther in so I can look back and see what it is really working for me and what isn't.

Replies

• dujyandco
    dujyandco Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm still learning how it works and incorporates, too.... have you considered starting the Timer? That's what I did yesterday, then the 'regular' (daily) steps are just steps, then when doing workouts it's timed and has separate information.
    This seems like it should record well, as it's obvious that if your heart rate is at 190, you aren't walking leisurely (taking your weight into consideration).

I've had my Charge HR for about two weeks, so still fumbling along.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I would just go by what your Fitbit says. MFP somehow gives you extra calories than Fitbit does. I have a Fitbit but still use MFP to log my meals but use the numbers Fitbit gives me.
  • minamina27
    minamina27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi. I enter my food on mfp and exercise on fitbit. It's adjust calories accordingly for the day.