Rest intervals???

Options
How much should i rest between sets????

Replies

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Interested to see what info people have.

I've read a couple different times, that very depending in what you're doing, but I've commonly seen about 60 seconds up to full recovery between sets.
  • michelletowle52
    michelletowle52 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Between 30seconds and up to 90 on some like errolm said depends on what I'm doing
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    How much should i rest between sets????

There is no absolute answer.

The goal of any workout designed for maximum muscle stimulation is to move as much weight as possible for as many reps as possible, and you always want to make sure that you're entering every workout at peak strength.

However, every set is different based on the particular exercise you're performing and the level of intensity that your program calls for.

Having a set rest time between sets doesn't take into account, for example, that sets of deadlifts are going to require longer rest intervals than, say, a set of tricep pressdowns, or that high intensity/low volume programs will require longer rest between sets than moderate intensity/high volume programs.

So how long should you rest between sets and exercises?

Simply rest as long as you need to in order to feel fully recovered from the previous set, and to where you’ll be able to execute the next set with maximum performance.

If that takes 90 seconds, fine, and if it take 3 minutes, that's fine too. There's no way to predict for sure when that point will come on any given set. You just have to listen to your body and base your rest period between sets on how you feel from set to set.

Just make sure that you aren't taking any more time than you truly need and that you're moving through your workout as efficiently as you can. Aside from that, the specific rest time between sets that you take just depends on how each individual set impacts you at that time.

As a rough general guideline though, 1.5-3 minutes will probably be suitable for most lifts.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If I'm in the 1-5RM range of something like deads or squats then I'll rest 4-5 mins. Bench? Maybe 3-4 minutes.

Higher rep accessory work like dumbbell rows, face pulls, etc? Or lighter sets (working up/backing off) of heavy compounds? 60-120s depending on the weight and movement.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 45s to 10 minutes. If I'm over 5 minutes rest, it's because I'm either max testing, doing heavy singles close to a comp, or doing some super max partial work.