No weight loss this week

Hello, I'm Elizabeth, I recently decided that I no longer wished to live as I was. I'm 5'6" and 3 weeks ago I weighed 193 pounds. I'm proud of myself because I have managed to lose 16 pounds since the start of my journey. This week, I have been especially good. I haven't gone over my calories once and I've been walking more than usual. I'm just confused as to why I would suddenly stop losing after being so successful with the previous weeks. I know its normal to have weeks where your weight doesn't change, but I find it odd this happened so early on during a week I recorded as being much better than the others. I'm just kind of feeling a little discouraged because of this.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    you know its normal to have weeks where your weight doesn't change, so....

I'm not saying that to be mean, you're right, weight loss isn't linear, especially when you throw in hormones etc for women!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member

I'm not saying that to be mean, you're right, weight loss isn't linear, especially when you throw in hormones etc for women!

This. Also, What is your calorie goal? 16lbs, essentially in two weeks, is a pretty steep loss. Even in the beginning, when water weight is being lost, 8lbs a week is a pretty big one.

With that being said, and assuming your calorie goal is above 1200, you cannot expect to lose every week. The high end of weightloss is 2lbs per week, so it's going to slow down immensely. You will have weeks that you lose, maintain, or gain. If fluctuations are something you cannot handle, weigh less often.

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Keep your focus on your monthly weight loss. It helps with not being concerned about the days where you stall or gain a little.
  • Bifflightyear
    Bifflightyear Posts: 4 Member
    vespiquenn wrote: »

This. Also, What is your calorie goal? 16lbs, essentially in two weeks, is a pretty steep loss. Even in the beginning, when water weight is being lost, 8lbs a week is a pretty big one.

My goal is 1300 calories a day and I have followed this almost exactly. I only went over once and it was only 13 calories on christmas, some of the time I can't make it quite that high but I do make sure I eat at least 1000 to make sure I'm getting the bare minimum, but I usually make it to about 1250. I walk 30 minutes a day to work or school. This is the first time I've ever dieted the right way, with calorie counting and everything and I suppose my body just took to it well.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Because water weight fluctuates constantly. There really doesn't have to be any other reason. If you've lost 16 pounds in 3 weeks then you should realistically expect your weight loss to flatten out for probably a couple of weeks, before you continue losing fat (as opposed to mostly water).
  • KaleidoscopicMind
    KaleidoscopicMind Posts: 55 Member
    This happens when your body is used to intaking very little calories during dieting, which means the body metabolism is very low right now. what you need is a metabolism boost, and that simply is to shock the body suddenly with intaking a lot of food that needs to be burnt by the body, and the body then will have to increase its metabolism to be able to burn all that food. So what you need exactly is just for one day you A LOT of carbs and sweets through the day to boost your metabolism, and you start dieting normally starting the next day.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    RamyAmin wrote: »
    This happens when your body is used to intaking very little calories during dieting, which means the body metabolism is very low right now. what you need is a metabolism boost, and that simply is to shock the body suddenly with intaking a lot of food that needs to be burnt by the body, and the body then will have to increase its metabolism to be able to burn all that food. So what you need exactly is just for one day you A LOT of carbs and sweets through the day to boost your metabolism, and you start dieting normally starting the next day.

lolwut
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Weight loss will happen, if you eat sensibly, exercise and be patient. It truly is NOT linear!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

No
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,868 Member

Not this ^^^^^

I'm at 1200 calories (5'2") and I lose 3# a month. I have fluctuations up and down in the month and week long plateaus, usually associated with eating more or exercising less. I eat my exercise calories but try to underestimate (so probable eat 50-75% of what MFP says). I've been consistent for 6 months. I don't go below 1200 calories because I get tired, I get cravings, and I get hungry after a few days of that and overeat. For the long haul, try not to go below 1200 or you might have fast weight loss, but fail at keeping that weight off.