Calorie Zig Zagging? Weekly Calories?

Options

Does anyone here go from weekly calories or alternate their calories by day? Does it still work? Is it harder than the 'normal' steady way?

I'm going to aim to have the same calories each day (TDEE less 20%) generally, but i'm also trying to plan out ways to be flexible for the weeks where I have celebrations or holidays etc, without completely wrecking my calorie intake.

If i start feeling like i'm failing then i end up getting all annoyed and jacking it in, and i don't want to do that this time.

Also I've had success before I had a baby where i was doing 5:2 intermittent fasting - this is where you have 500 calories for 2 days a week (not a 'real' fast) and then you can eat more on the other 5 days. I found it 'resets' my hunger hormones so that i was less focused on foods, and i was losing fat and shrinking amazingly with what felt like very little effort.

I can't restart that method though on its own, its not practical when I'm with my toddler, i just find myself able to do it the odd week here and there. But it would be good to have it there as an option on the weeks where its harder to count.

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I do weekly calories and it works great I do try to get my minimums in everyday (protein, fats) but ya some days I'll eat 4000 calories and some 1500 no biggie I have been at maintenance for 5 months.

I do think 500 calories is really low for a day even if your sick you should eat more than that..
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i know people who will go a hundred under for a few days if they know they are going to go hundred over a different day...i'd rather just exercise more the day i go big because thinking about how it all adds up together is overwhelming to me, i'd rather go one day at a time.
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    natajane wrote: »

Does anyone here go from weekly calories or alternate their calories by day? Does it still work? Is it harder than the 'normal' steady way?

I tried alternate calories by the day and it does work. It is not harder per se, it actually helps during the times that you know you will have a function and may be tempted to over eat. The way to make it work is to plan ahead your deficit. When I did it, I had no more than 2 days where I ate 900-1000 calories per day in a two week period. I did not have these days too often, as they were usually days that I did not exercise at all. I also tried to keep my calories between 1200-1600 calories per day zig-zagging between those numbers and never having two days where I ate the same amount of calories.

It works, but it is more work than just maintaining a specific caloric deficit. Good Luck ;)
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I did the Spike diet and lost 30lbs on it. You eat higher calories for 3 days per week and lower for 3 days then have a "spike" day where you eat the highest amount of calories. I actually found it on the forums here on MFP.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I do it and I love it! It works great for celebrations, date nights, etc. I have one day a week where I consume large quantities of food guilt free. I have also helped others with setting up a plan that works for them.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've done 5:2 also (2 days at 500, 5 days at maintenance). The 500 calorie days were too hard for me. I had good days and really crappy ones. I couldn't find consistency. But I do zig-zag, and like leaving more calories for the weekend.

OP - find your maintenance (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/). Then log daily. Knowing your maintenance will give you the high end. I track my weekly deficit with a small spreadsheet.* May not be necessary depending upon structure you design.

My maintenance at my goal will be 1700 (I'm older). So I eat 1700 Fri - Sun and 1200 Mon - Thur. This is basically a 2,000 calorie deficit for the week (1700-1200 x 4). Less than 1 pound a week....but closer to goal this is a good number.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine. Your body is constantly burning and storing cals... so looking at things by the meal, by the day, by the week, or whatever is really just for your own convenience/preference.

The only footnote I'd throw in here is that you may see more dramatic swings in scale weight with greater zigs and zags in your intake. Your focus should still be on long term trends... but if you are emotionally tied to a daily weigh in, big swings in intake may not be such a good idea.