Lose weight first???

Options
I'm 175 lbs! My goal is to lose 30-35 lbs and also gain muscle. I want to enhance the shape of my body and I know I can only do that by lifting. My question is do I lose all the weight, then when I'm at my goal weight, start to lift and try to gain muscle? I

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Whenever you lose weight, you lose fat and lean body mass (which includes muscle, water, bone, etc.) To maximize the amount of fat you lose and minimize the amount of lean that you lose, lift weights now. Also, work to eat sufficient amounts of protein. .64-.82 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is sufficient. To make it easy, I just use .8 x my bodyweight and round to the nearest 10. That's a minimum, by the way. No need to worry if you go over it.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Do it now! Lift to maintain the muscle you have. When the fat is gone, you'll be glad you did! I have 29 more lbs to go (out of 96) and am getting more serious about weights. I would have liked to have done it more frequently before now but for a lot of reasons I didn't. I am now at a place where I can and I can't wait to see the results! Take measurements and pictures. They will come in handy.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    To help with weight loss and also change body shape, I prefer to go with both diet and exercise. :-)
  • Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now, it will raise your metabolism making it easier to lose the weight.
  • millej49
    millej49 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As people have said, start lifting now. But you want to lift and diet with a focus on losing body fat, because if you start to eat significantly more calories in the hopes of building muscle, you're also going to be adding more fat on top. Once you're around the weight you want of lean body mass, then you should start increasing calories to build however much muscle you want.