Water

Options
cathyg321
cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
Does anybody else have a problem drinking 8 glasses of water a day? I have tried repeatedly, and I always come up short. Ideas??

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    do you work out? Sweating increases my thirst. If it is a tastte issue I like slicing oranges lemons even cucumbers place in a glass pitcher and fill with spring water. I add mint, if u like it add it, if not dont. keep in fridge and drink a glass every hour or so, Replenish water when low. The fruit will last one day.
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    2 things have worked for me. 1) If I get annoyed with water, mid day have a diet soda or iced tea or whatever, later that night, have the other half. 2) I use a water bottle that is 32oz (4 cups), and I click 4 water arrows every time I drink a bottle, and just make sure I get 2 bottles per day. The right size water bottle, and breaking up the monotony if you need. You'll be on your way.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I walk around with a 750 ml water bottle all day and refill it at least 3 times. Sometimes I add lemon to make it interesting. If I get super bored of it, I'll buy a can of sparkling water. But I usually don't have an issue, unless I forget my water bottle. Then I fall way short.
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    Options
    You just have to experiment and find what works for you. Some people like drinking out of little juice glasses, just drink a whole glass and that counts as one. Some people prefer water bottles, or drinking out of a straw. You can get a large water bottle and figure out how many you should drink for the day. Slicing lemons and stuff is great, you can pretty much do any combo of fruit and/or herbs you find tasty. Watermelon with rosemary is nice. Anything with mint, and basil is really is good too. Drink a glass of water before you eat anything, that helps a lot.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Most people sleep for eight hours a day and have the remaining 16 hours to consume those eight - 8 oz glasses of water. Break it up into drinking 4 oz every hour. How hard is it to drink a 1/2 cup of water?
  • dngoins
    dngoins Posts: 20
    Options
    I drink 12oz of water at a time and it has been hard for me to drink the 8 cups today. I feel like i'm going to get sick from drinking so much. There is just no way I can drink 2 cups of water with each of my meals, so I totally understand where you are coming from.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Just chug it and move on with your day.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i always drink more when i drink out of a bottle.. so i have a nice 32 oz bottle. i don't force myself to sit and chug a whole bunch at a time... just sip it throughout the day. hydration is good. i've heard if you're thirsty, youre already dehydrated.

i like to flavor it with lemon sometimes.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    YES. I HATE WATER. I try to add oranges, lemons, limes, and strawberries in mine. I have also heard that cucumbers and mint leaves make it very refreshing. I have read several articles state that one should drink 1/2 their body weight in ounces of water per day.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly enough, it's tough. I don't usually drink unless I am thirsty. Then, sometimes I'm so busy that I don't even realize that I'm thirsty until I'm REALLY thirsty. I find that I tend to take sips of my water. I've started to make an effort to make sure I take good sized drinks.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Drinking my liquids became a lot easier when I started toting my 32 oz nalgene bottle everywhere. It seriously helps. And I can't do plain water, I need it flavored, whether it's lemon slices or I also enjoy iced herbal tea.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    The 8 glasses a day of "pure water" is a myth, so if you don't like it you can drink coffee, juice, milk, pop etc in order to keep hydrated.
  • lilcassers
    Options
    Drinking my liquids became a lot easier when I started toting my 32 oz nalgene bottle everywhere. It seriously helps. And I can't do plain water, I need it flavored, whether it's lemon slices or I also enjoy iced herbal tea.

Ooooo this bottle sounds intriguing. where can I get it?
  • lilcassers
    Options
    The 8 glasses a day of "pure water" is a myth, so if you don't like it you can drink coffee, juice, milk, pop etc in order to keep hydrated.

juice is terrible. it is straight sugar. milk is also not healthy unless it's almond. drinking the purest form of liquid is really best.
  • Rob_CJR
    Rob_CJR Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Use a measuring device/bottle. I am trying to consume 1 Gallon a day so I use a Gallon jug. The more you put in front of you the more you will drink. Instead of using 8 oz glass try a 16 etc.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

juice is terrible. it is straight sugar. milk is also not healthy unless it's almond. drinking the purest form of liquid is really best.

For hydration purposes it doesn't matter. Obviously if it contains calories you would have to count into your daily total.
    Milk contains a good amount of protein, calcium, potassium, Vit A & D so I do believe it can be considered healthy.
    Coffee, as well as supplying your body with water for little or no calories, has shown to prevent type 2 diabetes, cancer, as well as help with depression and Parkinson's disease.
    I'm not sure why water is considered the "best" source of hydration.
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Great logic! This sounds SO doable! I also liked the ideas that everyone suggested about adding sliced cucumbers and lemon. I'm going to try that as well. Thanks == And yes, I do work out!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I walk around with a 750 ml water bottle all day and refill it at least 3 times. Sometimes I add lemon to make it interesting. If I get super bored of it, I'll buy a can of sparkling water. But I usually don't have an issue, unless I forget my water bottle. Then I fall way short.

This is what I've done. I use a 1L bottle so that I only have to fill it up twice, but that's pure personal preference. If I'm just trying to pour glasses, I come up short, but if the bottle is just sitting there, I'll always get all of the water I need.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    This may seem crazy but what type of container are you used to drinking from? I used to drink soda fountain soda from a cup with a straw. I had a hard time drinking water from a glass or bottle, but when I switched to a cup with a straw, I was shocked at how often I had to refill it! I think it was just the habit of drinking from a straw that did it. If you normally drink from a can, find a water bottle that feels and drinks like a can.
  • want2bmomto3
    Options
    I am not a water fan. The only thing I have found that works for me is to keep an 8oz cup by my kitchen sink. Every time I walk by I drink a cupful. Most days I'm getting 13 to 15 cups that way.