Open vs. closed diaries

Options

Replies

• ChocolateMjau
    ChocolateMjau Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I kept it closed cause I felt ashamed about my weight.. But since I decided to write a blog and help other people eat healthier, I don't feel so bad anymore.. Cause as I am now, I won't be the same after 6 months.. after 1 year.. and it motivates me. I made it public because otherwise I could not post on FB, that I have lost weight! :wink:
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. It keeps me even more accountable when I know my friends are looking and I prefer friends who keep theirs open too. I like getting ideas from they eat.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    Closed, I don't require any critique or advice from anyone on what to eat so no need to open it up.

This is why my diary is private. My food is my business and I don't want unwanted critique or advice.

+1 I did get this when mine was open and I hadn't asked for help and wasn't struggling to lose at all.

I also stopped my exercise postings because I was bullied pretty harshly by a "friend" who thought it was impossible for me to hike 11 miles. She ranted openly for days about me to others too. I decided I was the only one that really needed to know if I walked a few miles one day and hiked between 5 and 10 the next or maybe skipped a week hiking ::::for shame::::: how dare I! lol
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open and don't care who reads it. My results so far speak for themselves and anyone who has a problem can go f-themselves.

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    Closed, I don't require any critique or advice from anyone on what to eat so no need to open it up.

This is why my diary is private. My food is my business and I don't want unwanted critique or advice.

+1 I did get this when mine was open and I hadn't asked for help and wasn't struggling to lose at all.

I also stopped my exercise postings because I was bullied pretty harshly by a "friend" who thought it was impossible for me to hike 11 miles. She ranted openly for days about me to others too. I decided I was the only one that really needed to know if I walked a few miles one day and hiked between 5 and 10 the next or maybe skipped a week hiking ::::for shame::::: how dare I! lol

Wow, how rude. I know someone who is overweight but super active and losing, and he did a 20 mile hike over the summer. 11 miles is pretty reasonable.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Mine is open (I think) and I don't care what people think. It's another one that's a great example that you can eat whatever you damn want and more than 1200 calories if you're not short and tiny and lose plenty of weight. And I eat my exercise calories which I don't mind people being aware of. Nobody has ever commented on my diary.

I do look at other diaries but usually only if someone expresses struggling, often they're eating low volume and/or just not very much as they have a very low goal so I'll try to offer friendly advice because I genuinely want people to succeed without being miserable. If I get unfriended over it then fine.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open as if I want to give advice to others or suggest they open their dairy I can show I walk the walk and talk the talk.
  • fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    This is all great info!

It makes me think about how it would be great if the diary had a little comments section like "felt sick today, couldn't eat much." or WHATEVER, not just for others, but for ourselves.

Your diary does have a notes section. On a desk top under the food tab it's the box next to water consumption and you can just click edit note to add notes in and then save. There is also a notes section on the exercise tab.

On the app (for apple at least not sure if driod is different) go to the diary tab and then at the very bottom click notes to add in notes for food or exercise.

ETA: These notes would basically be the same a comments section, others can see notes as well I believe. I hope this helps!
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed, tho I'm not 100% sure why. Part of the reason is I'm very introverted, hell I barely even update my feed with my updates. I guess I'm a little social media phobic, I don't even have a facebook :o

I do log almost every single day and if I have ever had any problems with losing weight, I'd open my diary for perusal.
    I keep my diary closed because it's no ones business what I eat lol. I'm not one bit embarrassed by my food diary and nor do I worry about being judged, but what I eat or what my calories/macros are set to are what is right for me, and not necessarily for the next person.
    These things and the bolded are the reasons why mine also remains closed. :)
  • Kitty_Nikki
    Kitty_Nikki Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed. It isn't because I care what other people think about what I eat, it's because I use the notes section almost every day and the stuff I put in there can be personal information that I don't want to share.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed. I used to have it open to friends, but then decided that I don't owe anyone anything after an MFP friend ranted about diary privacy, so I closed it up entirely. What I eat is my business, and I'm not interested in being judged or questioned about it.

Also, when I first joined MFP, people would automatically look at my open-by-default diary and comment on my nutritional exploits whenever I asked for help. That is such a violation of privacy, and when I changed the settings and still asked questions, folks would comment and say no one could help me since they couldn't see my eating patterns. My questions never required being able to see what I eat on a daily basis. Meh.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    This is all great info!

It makes me think about how it would be great if the diary had a little comments section like "felt sick today, couldn't eat much." or WHATEVER, not just for others, but for ourselves.
    There is a space like that on the exercise page.

Mine is open to friends. The critique I would get would be the whole not weighing in grams showing up. I have a conversion calculator in a spread sheet, for other measurements to grams, so I get some pretty strange looking diary entries. For example if 1/2 cup weighs 59 grams, then I will weigh out 29 grams, log it as a .5 serving, but the diary listing will show 1/4 cup. I weighed it in grams but that is not reflected in the diary. It is not exactly perfect but then neither am I. I also never complain about not losing when I think I should have.

I rarely look at anybodies diary. I have only commented negatively on one friend. I have literally known him since birth, because we are related. He would think I was mad at him, if I didn't give him crap!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Mines closed because I've been dealing with problems bingeing and not logging lately, so it's holding me accountable. Also, because I don't like random strangers (not on my friends list) criticizing my diary because I eat "junk" on occasion (and yes, that has happened to me).
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Closed. I'm more accurate and honest with myself if I don't feel like there is any kind of judgement from anyone else. :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm not super active in the forums anymore, but I keep mine open. My eating habits are pretty boring, but I personally am avid about eating my proteins with food vs. shakes, bars, supplements, etc.

Other folks' diaries have helped me find high protein foods I can sustainably work into my life. And the "how can I get more protein" question seems to be a common problem for others. I'm just quietly paying foward the helpful tips I've learned.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. People may or may not look at it.
    Starting out here I often looked at other people's food diaries so I didn't feel right having mine closed. I was always glad to see diaries with food like I would eat. Since I do not follow a special, restrictive diet or use shakes/supplements my own diary may help someone to realize you can eat fairly normally and lose weight.
    I don't care what other people think of what I eat or how I log. It is just food. I'm not trying to win some award for perfect weight loss journey. I'm not emotional or guilty about my eating habits. I'm just living my life.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open and public because who cares... and it helps my new GF friends when they can't figure out what to eat.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to friends only. Though I don't really think it's anyone's business what I eat, I want my MFP friends (especially noobs) to see that though I eat typical nutritious food 95% of the time, I have Chipolte for lunch and wine and ice cream for dinner sometimes (yeah, yesterday) and still come close to my macros/goals.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My diary has been open for ages because I don't give a *kitten* what anyone thinks of it and it may help some.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've had mine closed and open. I think it's closed right now, but I'm not sure without checking. I don't log regularly anyway so it doesn't really matter.