Sore lower back during or after walking

Options
Does anyone else experience a sore back during or after walking? Even a slower pace?

I feel like I have to stretch my back after every time I am on my feet for too long. I literally have to sit down and arch my back so that I relieve the discomfort after the walk.

I am a small person that is now classified as overweight. I have always had some back problems but I am finding it more difficult to exercise due to these problems and would like to know if others out there have any suggestions.

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    What surface are you walking on? Also, what type of shoes are you wearing? Make sure you have good supportive shoes, avoid concrete/asphalt if possible and do a good dynamic warm up before any exercise. Stretch your calves, hamstrings, quads, hip flexors and glutes really well after as well.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I used to get this all the time. I have lordosis, so walking puts a lot of strain on my back. If I'm on my feet too long, I need to sit down and stretch my back out to losen up the tightness in my lower back. A good pair of walking shoes will make a huge difference, as will stretching consistently after you warm up (don't stretch cold muscles). Exercises that strengthen your lower back (deadlifts, squats, back raises, etc.) will strengthen your lower back and help to prevent that soreness. I don't get that pain anymore due to a combination of losing weight (my belly put a lot of extra stress on my back) and strengthening the lower back muscles.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Are you holding good posture? sometimes when people sit at a computer desk all day they can develop bad posture which can cause problems like this
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me! The more I walked it went away. Apparently I was out of shape lol. Doesn't bother me anymore.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! And also make sure you are wearing a good pair of gym shoes.
  • mduncan4693
    mduncan4693 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a sore back and have had for 33 years! I am constantly stretching and lately have taken up with a massage therapist...highly recommended! Bad backs have been the end of working out for many that I have known.....you are doing the right thing by stretching, also, since you are slightly overweight avoid too much pressure on the knees; you can achieve this by using the eliptical and swimming as both exercises will preserve your knees. Also, i think someone else mentioned it but they are right to say avoid hard surfaces and make sure you have a good shoe.... a bad shoe has been the end of many a work our career!

Best of luck to you my friend!