Desk Workers

Options
Hello.
I work 10 hour shifts 4 days a week, during my shifts I sit at a desk, I usually don't take a lunch as we are busy, I will eat at my desk. I am trying to think of ways to add exercise into my work life, after work I am usually too tired to go out and go to the gym or work out. I am on the 3rd floor, so I take the stairs every morning, and I have started using the bathroom on the 4th floor so that I have to walk a bit and use stairs.
Any suggestions? Things that have worked for you? Any of you going through the same struggle?

Thanks!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A pedometer or activity tracker may encourage you to move more.

You don't need a gym to get a good workout. I workout at home. This is great to just roll out of bed and get going. Tons of stuff on YouTube....BeFit, Fitness Blender, Jessica Smith, WalkAtHome

Walk At Home DVDs are a great start.....Target, Amazon, etc. No equipment required. Just start at 1 mile....sometimes it's easier to fit short workouts in.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Yes I go through the same struggle although in my current position I have the flexibility to take walks on my breaks and lunch.

I think I would consider really evaluating your statement "after work I am usually too tired to go out and go to the gym or work out.". You have been sedentary for most of the day so you should have plenty of physical energy to work out (i know its likely mental or emotional fatigue). Most modern Americans sit a desk all day and still are able to work out afterwards. I would commit to working out even if you feel tired, just go. It doesn't have to be long, 30-45 minutes to start. Maybe only workout 2 of your 4 long work days and also commit to working out on on 2 of your 3 off days when you have more time. 4 days working out is plenty and you can probably get by working out 3 days a week.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Go for a walk after work. It might even be relaxing in addition to benefiting your fitness. Go for a walk at lunch. I know you said you don't take a lunch but I thought I'd throw it out there. Same idea. It's a relaxing way to destress at work. Maybe commit to to exercising/going to the gym on one of your work nights. It doesn't have to be a 2-3 monster session. 30mins to an hour is no biggy. Finally, go to a gym and/or exercise on your 3 days off. If you find yourself coming up with reasons why none of these things are possible a lack of time may not be the issue.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    Yes I go through the same struggle although in my current position I have the flexibility to take walks on my breaks and lunch.

I think I would consider really evaluating your statement "after work I am usually too tired to go out and go to the gym or work out.". You have been sedentary for most of the day so you should have plenty of physical energy to work out (i know its likely mental or emotional fatigue). Most modern Americans sit a desk all day and still are able to work out afterwards. I would commit to working out even if you feel tired, just go. It doesn't have to be long, 30-45 minutes to start. Maybe only workout 2 of your 4 long work days and also commit to working out on on 2 of your 3 off days when you have more time. 4 days working out is plenty and you can probably get by working out 3 days a week.

Agreed.

I used to think I was so tired after work, which involves sitting at a computer for 8-10 hours a day. The truth was that once I started exercising on a regular basis I had (currently have) more energy than ever. Sedentary behavior begets sedentary behavior. Active behavior begets active behavior. Make a commitment to three solid weeks of exercising before or after work 3x/week and then decide if you feel better/less tired or want to go back to your old ways.
  • MsBrandylove
    MsBrandylove Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I too feel "trapped" behind my desk...and while it's difficult to get into the habit, I find that working out BEFORE work saves me from making excuses after work, especially when I have to work more than expected. (And bonus, it wakes you up!) I also purchased a DESKCYCLE...its basically just pedals with a tension nob...but I am sad to say my desk is too low to use it while working :( I'm thinking of putting plywood under the legs of my desk...hehe, not sure how that would work out? And last but not least...take the time at breaks even if you are busy...they are breaks and you deserve them. Good luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i run before work 2-3 times a week and I pack my lunches and snacks so I can help stay in my calorie allotment
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Walk to, or part of the distance to and from, work

Stairs is a great idea

Get a pedometer ..I love my fitbit zip
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    ryry62685 wrote: »

Agreed.

I used to think I was so tired after work, which involves sitting at a computer for 8-10 hours a day. The truth was that once I started exercising on a regular basis I had (currently have) more energy than ever. Sedentary behavior begets sedentary behavior. Active behavior begets active behavior. Make a commitment to three solid weeks of exercising before or after work 3x/week and then decide if you feel better/less tired or want to go back to your old ways.

Good point^

OP - I am stressed after work too, BUT exercise can be a release. Start with something simple or something fun.....try yoga, Wii Dance, or walking. I would bet these are actually stress reducing for you.

After awhile, moving more is "the norm."
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You have 3 days every week (let's call it a 3 day weekend) when you are not working... why not exercise then?

ETA: Since some seem to think this forum is a contest, I'll share my schedule... I'm starting a new class today. So I work FT (it is our busy season) and I'm a FT grad student. So I work the equivalent (between work and education) of 14 hr. days M-F and 6-8 hr. days on weekends. I also hold some volunteer leadership positions (i.e. I'm very busy outside of work and class).

Of course, I've been busier. In the last 2 years of my undergrad degree, I was a FT student, worked FT, had 2 PT jobs, and did contract work on the side. The only difference is that I didn't live in a rural area... now I drive 1 hr. round trip just for the gym (so 1 hr. at the gym requires 2 hrs. total).

Having said all of that, I don't plan to have much time exercising for the next several months. If I exercise, it will be on the weekends when I'm only "working" at a "desk job" (i.e. class work) 6-8 hrs. that day.
  • djmanos65
    djmanos65 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same schedule as the OP. Fortunately, my courses are scattered between two other buildings, one of which is across the flightline. I make it a point to walk over to the offices rather than call or email whenever I can.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Any chance you can speak with your employer about raising your desk so you can stand? Or they make lifts that you can raise your computer up when you want to stand and lower it back down when you need to sit. That might help if you make yourself stand up for a few minutes every hour, maybe even stretch and walk in place while working. You might have to make the monetary purchase if your employer won't, but it will be worth it for your health!
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Depending on the day, I can be at my desk all day or never see it. I walk 2 km to catch the train to work each morning to get a walk in. I've been doing that for 10 months so far. On days that I know I will be at my desk for long periods of time, I try to go for a brief 5-10 minute walk a couple of times. I consider it my smoke break (as I don't smoke). I go to the gym after work as well. It's on my way home so really no excuse for me.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well and I think working out after a long day of sitting is essential for me. You could be feeling tired or it may just be sluggishness from inactivity. Believe me, I get it. But I think once you start incorporating exercise into your day you'll crave it.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I work out before work, I don't worry about trying to get any extra in during my day.
  • rugbytwist
    rugbytwist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i work 74 kms away from my home, so i spend 2 hours a day commuting to and from work, like you i used to skip lunch's ( sometimes not even eat till supper as i am not a breakfast person) but honestly, ive lost mor weight with actually eating.. then ever before. still not a breakfast person so I make smoothies as I am on the road so early. Summertime I take a half an hour and go walking on my lunchbreaks. I can usually get just shy 4 km's in. Plus I am coaching rugby 3 days a week so my work outs are more so my daily walks. Also a great way to clear my mind and reset for the second half of the day!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Currently strapped to a desk. I am also tired after work, but I still go and rarely am I ever sorry I went. That said, my program only calls for 4 gym days and they're usually set days, but sometimes I do shift days around if I'm really exhausted.

The bottom line is, you have to make the time; it doesn't magically appear for you.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I used to sit at my desk all day at work, behind a computer 8-9 hours/day. Imo I find I am far more productive now that I take a break away from my desk & do something either a short workout or go for a walk even if it's only 15 - 30 mins. It helps clear my mind, lowers stress & I come back feeling more refreshed & ready to tackle the work.

My advice, your health should be a top priority to keep yourself healthy so you can be your best to accomplish other personal, family & work commitments. Schedule time in your day for you whether it's stretching, walking, doing an enjoyable activity by yourself or with others, exercising, etc.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I wake at 3:20 am, 4x a week to train. I'm in the gym warming up at 4:30am, under the bar before 5am and out by 6am. I work a desk job 9 hours a day, 5 days a week and I have a family, outside interests, and I compete.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I work full time, have two small kids, and have a house to keep up. I work out 4-5x a week. You can do it! You just have to make it a priority. I now find it "easy" to get up before the kids and squeeze in a run. ("Easy" because it's all relative. I'd still rather lounge in bed most mornings. :D)

I will get up and stretch, do desk pushups, etc at my desk. I also have a resistance band that I can squeeze in some curls or hip exercises. Cheap, doesn't take up space, and you can usually do it when no one is looking. :)