Why am I not losing weight?

Options
I've been at the same weight for a month now. I count my calories, I exercise (cardio + strength training), and I have a net calorie intake of 1,200 (for a 2 lb loss per week)--sometimes I go over just a little. The scale wont budge and my measurements have not changed. I can't seem to lose weight after that initial ten pound loss. I tried adding a ton of cardio this week and it didn't help.
What gives??

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Without having access to your diary, it is difficult to offer any specific advice. How often do you go over, and what is "just a little"? Are you measuring your food, or eyeballing it? Is there anything you eat that you don't log? Even a bit here and a bite there can add up remarkably quickly.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You may not be able to support a 1000 calorie daily deficit. Try changing your goal to 1 lb/week, eat more and see if you lose.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    Your calorie intake may be too low for your amount of exercise. Can you be specific on how much you exercise? any programs? how many days a week? When you eat too less, your body dumps off extra hormones that causes a weight gain or plateau.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

You're incorporating lots of cardio. What about a lifting/resistance plan?
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Eat more to lose more! Give your body a jolt and have a good eating day or 2 and then get back on.
  • cuddingm
    cuddingm Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was plateauing earlier I found what worked for me was differing my calorie intake and not sticking to the 1200. After doing so I found that I loose more having at least 1300 calories a day. Allowing yourself to eat more some days could be the boost you need. You may want to try doing a detox/cleanse too.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    You may not be able to support a 1000 calorie daily deficit. Try changing your goal to 1 lb/week, eat more and see if you lose.
    Start here. Eat at maintenance for a week or two first though. Reset that leptin.
  • Fancyface1972
    Fancyface1972 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. This is only my first week. I never knew or understood how to count calories. Some people always say not to worry about that when trying to lose weight. I don't know what to do. I improved my eating habits by increasing my fruits and veggies and decreasing my portions, but I seem to get hungry more often now. However, as you can see on my food intake, I haven't quite steered completely away from the things I shouldn't eat. I go to the gym and I walk a lot at work. People say I appear smaller, but I don't feel smaller, but I can tell some difference in the fit of my clothes. The confusion comes when I stand on the scale. One day it may say I weigh one thing and a few days later the weigh might be 10lbs. more. What is this? What should I be doing? I'm so confused.
  • tryingtoshed
    tryingtoshed Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't eyeball my food. I definitely measure everything. I keep my sodium in check. I also make sure I have a NET intake of 1,200. I do the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD every few days, and my cardio varies from burning 200 calories a day to 800. I may try to increase my calorie intake--1200 calories may be too little.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It might be possible that part of the 10 lb was water weight. As you work on your musles, you are gaining water weight back while losing fat?

I can be 100% wrong, just guessing here.
  • mduncan4693
    mduncan4693 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have no advice because I am in the exact same boat other than I have made some progress on the measurements....I just don't have a clue.....let me know if you figure it out please....cheers

Mark
  • cuddingm
    cuddingm Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have done the Ripped in 30 and I found that I lost inches but no weight. I figured out that I had been building muscle which canceled out the fat being burnt. I am a huge fan of Jillian and as she says you should add variety to your work outs. Your body gets used to a routine and then it isn't as effective anymore. If you like Jillian I would suggest you try her kick boxing or no more trouble zones for something different. Sometimes just increasing calories and changing up your routine helps. I read in Women's Health Magazine that you should change your workout routine at least every three weeks because muscle memory develops and the works aren't as effective after awhile.
  • steadybutsure
    steadybutsure Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I know how u feel because i've been there since february. Am glad u said 10lbs because thats about what i lost in jan and since then, the scale hasnt gone down. I did mostly cardio all through the Month of May - scale is still the same. no change in inches either. It goes up a couple then back to what it was at the end of Jan. unfortunatly i dont have a solution, i'll like to see what others have to say. In the mean time, i took june off for my sanity. I didnt spend the month eating junk but i wasnt counting calories. I mostly eat clean but i eat when am hungry and try to workout 3x/wk
  • dksjvp
    dksjvp Posts: 1
    Options
    You might try increasing your protein intake. The body needs protein to burn fat and build muscle. I too am struggling with the scale. I work with a trainer 3 days a week and do cardio on the off days. I have lost inches but not as much weight as I would like to see (1 pound/wk). Refuse to give up.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Eat more, start lifting heavy weights.
  • tryingtoshed
    tryingtoshed Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This is all super helpful, and I do feel like I have replaced some fat with muscle--I'm definitely a lot stronger than when I started out. I noticed a few years ago, I dropped twenty pounds in 2 months from going low carb and doing an hour cardio every day. I feel like my body is very resilient to weight loss--is that possible?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options
    I have done the Ripped in 30 and I found that I lost inches but no weight. I figured out that I had been building muscle which canceled out the fat being burnt. I am a huge fan of Jillian and as she says you should add variety to your work outs. Your body gets used to a routine and then it isn't as effective anymore. If you like Jillian I would suggest you try her kick boxing or no more trouble zones for something different. Sometimes just increasing calories and changing up your routine helps. I read in Women's Health Magazine that you should change your workout routine at least every three weeks because muscle memory develops and the works aren't as effective after awhile.

None of this has a shred of truth. But, that's ok. Hopefully you'll research on your own. Jillian is so full of crap that it's disgusting.

As is most of everything printed in women's health magazines.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options
    This is all super helpful, and I do feel like I have replaced some fat with muscle--I'm definitely a lot stronger than when I started out. I noticed a few years ago, I dropped twenty pounds in 2 months from going low carb and doing an hour cardio every day. I feel like my body is very resilient to weight loss--is that possible?

No, it's not.

When you have a lot of weight to lose, you drop the first 10-20 pounds fast, then all but stop. That's normal for everyone.

And unfortunately I have a very strong suspicion that a lot of that 20 lbs is lean body mass, from you eating so little. I ate 1200/day for a good year, and lost so much muscle it was sad. And I'm only 5'0". You need to eat much more than you're allowing yourself. Yes you're losing weight, but not at a healthy or sustainable rate, and most likely not the right KIND of weight. Find out your TDEE and eat 20% less than that. You'll be shocked at how much you'll be able to eat and still lose weight.

Oh, and unless you LOVE cardio, there's no reason to slave away doing an hour every day. 10-20 min before lifting weights as a warmup is more than enough.
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and find pleasure in other things.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

7) Maintain your exercise program.