Does anyone not menstruate for extreme periods of time?

Options
I am currently on a 127 day cycle and only had 4 periods last year. Im not on the pill and im not pregnant and its not PCOS. Im just wondering whether anyone else has something similar. Im thinking it could also be due to being obese.

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    You need to ask your doctor. Seriously.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I would be at my doctor so quick.
  • MissLincolnTaylor
    MissLincolnTaylor Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been to the doctors and they've done blood tests and a vaginal ultrasound. They suspected PCOS but it turns out it wasn't that. Think they are pretty stumped right now.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I used to be regular. My cycles were 28-31 days. Recently they've been getting weird. My shortest was 25 days, my longest was 51. That could be age-related (41), weight-loss related, or whatever it is that's going on up there. Had an ultrasound last week and the doc wants to get a biopsy of the uterine lining so obviously SOMETHING is going on. Your best bet would to go see the gyno and discuss things to see what might be the cause and if it's something to be concerned about.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Clinical obesity can certainly contribute to anovulation and subsequent lack of a menstrual cycle. However, you should really have a(n) MD/DO/OB-GYN perform an exam +/- misc diagnostic tests to rule in/out that is what is indeed what is going on with you and not something else (i.e., achieve a medical diagnosis). As opposed to just assuming that's what is going on or listening to teh [sic] internets/some rando stranger online. (:
  • MissLincolnTaylor
    Options
    I was completely normal up until i moved in with my fiance a year and a half a go. Im waiting to be refereed to gyno. Hopefully when they get my next set of bloods back.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is good that you've been to doctors about it. That would have been my first advice as well.

My cycle gets weird anytime I make a sizable (more than 250ish calories) change to my calorie expenditure. I often have cycles of 60 days or so, though I've never gone as long as what you are describing. It is possible that your weight is a factor and that it will improve as you lose weight. Are your doctors concerned at all? At this point, for me, I don't get worried about long cycles because they are very much my norm. If your doctors are not concerned, I would focus on losing weight and getting healthy and then pay attention to whether that helps.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The only time this has ever happened to me was when I was exclusively nursing. I went over a year without menstruating with both children.
  • WeaTheRgrlx0x
    WeaTheRgrlx0x Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My last cycle was 38 days. I'll have a cycle thats 5-6 weeks apart, then they'll get closer for the next few months, and then be long again. Who knows?!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    An exam would be a good idea. You don't want the uterine lining to build up, it's not safe.
  • kw0728
    kw0728 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I recently went nearly 9 months without a period, with no explanation from a doctor besides the fact that I wasn't ovulating. Now I have had my period 111 days straight. I've had exams, and studies done with no real answers.
  • MissLincolnTaylor
    Options
    kw0728 wrote: »
    I recently went nearly 9 months without a period, with no explanation from a doctor besides the fact that I wasn't ovulating. Now I have had my period 111 days straight. I've had exams, and studies done with no real answers.

I dont know what is worse. Not having them at all or having them non stop x
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options

That sounds awful. I think I'd be ready to rip my uterus out by hand!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I used to have like... 1 to 2 periods a year. No PCOS, Not on the pill, not pregnant, etc. The problem: I was severely obese. Once I started losing weight, guess what. They started back up and started becoming regular/closer together until now I can count on exactly when AF is due.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

This happened to me, when I was in my early 20's. I went to the doctor, he gave me a hormone shot and things went back to "my" normal.

OP, I frequently had long cycles throughout my reproductive years, because I was not ovulating on a regular basis. There were tests done and nothing specific was wrong. It was difficult for me to get pregnant when I was ready to have children.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I started eating at a deficit, I didn't get my period for 7 months. I wasn't eating at an extreme deficit (1400 calories each day gave me about a 400 calorie deficit per day) but I was eating super low fat accidentally, since I was choosing the lowest calorie foods I could find, to try to get the most food for the least calories. I think consuming too little fat can contribute to losing your period temporarily.

Everything is working fine for me now on the pill and eating at least 20% of my daily calories from fat.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The only time I had this was after coming off the pill. I'd been on it for over ten years before stopping it to try for our first child. It took about nine months for my body to settle down and for me to get pregnant. It probably didn't help I was having a stressful situation with changing jobs at the time either.
  • owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Your hormones are obviously way out of wack. Excess weight definitely plays a part. But Doctor, yes. Now.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    My period just stopped for no apparent reason the last two months, which has never happened before. I'm not pregnant. The doctor suspects it's the new birth control we switched me to in August. But she suggested other possible causes besides PCOS could be a hormone imbalance or a benign growth on the pituitary gland (which controls hormones). If my period doesn't return with the latest birth control, she plans to do more blood work to test hormone levels, check for PCOS, and then if necessary do an MRI to look for a growth on the pituitary gland.
  • Steam_Powered_Awesome
    Options
    I can go months without mine for no reason. The longest I have gone was 5 months no show. So it could show up in 30 days or 5 months from now and with no cramps, cravings, or mood swings its a surprise every time.