coffee creamer

Options
13»

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Maybe it's a non-Australian thing, but after hearing about it quite regularly I still don't quite know what 'coffee creamer' is. Is it a flavouring you put in your coffee? A milk substitute? both?

I have my non-barista made coffee with about 40mL of regular old-fashioned whole milk. Unless you drink it black, anything else to me just seems like a liquid dessert rather than coffee.

It's a vegetable-oil based substitute for milk or cream, and in recent years it comes in lots of flavors like french vanilla, hazelnut, Bailey's irish cream, etc. I'm not a fan, since I don't like sweetener of any kind in my coffee, plus it leaves a nasty oily film on the top of your coffee.

That sounds disgusting. I wonder why they don't make flavored cream (like from a real cow)? I remember having this discussion with a European in China once. He owned the restaurant and someone asked for cream with their espresso. He apologetically said that he didn't have "American cream". Huh? We then discussed the difference between cream and creamer. Apparently he had had complaints lol.

They do make flavored cream. Lattes and the like are more popular though than premade flavored cream. Those of us who like it that way often buy the syrups sold for espressos and make the real versions ourselves. I make mine with syrup and regular whole milk.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a non-Australian thing, but after hearing about it quite regularly I still don't quite know what 'coffee creamer' is. Is it a flavouring you put in your coffee? A milk substitute? both?

I have my non-barista made coffee with about 40mL of regular old-fashioned whole milk. Unless you drink it black, anything else to me just seems like a liquid dessert rather than coffee.

It's a vegetable-oil based substitute for milk or cream, and in recent years it comes in lots of flavors like french vanilla, hazelnut, Bailey's irish cream, etc. I'm not a fan, since I don't like sweetener of any kind in my coffee, plus it leaves a nasty oily film on the top of your coffee.

Ahh, thanks. Sounds kinda nasty really. Unless you're lactose intolerant or vegan, I don't really see the reason to swap milk for that though. I agree with @lyttlewon ; you can always get the flavour syrups instead, and many of those you can get sugar free as well.
  • vitty1
    vitty1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Walden farms - NO CALORIE EVERYTHING!
    Delish...all different flavours, french vanilla, mocha etc. and all zero everything.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Oh my @vitty1 , Walden farms now make coffee creamers? Will definetely try. Wonder what are the made of lol

@mangrothian and the foreigners, I am a foreigner myself living in the states, and it's different than having milk on the coffee. I used to have milk on the coffee and sometimes I still do, but the coffee creamer gives them a creamy factor plus a a bit flavor... personally not too much into flavors but it's kinda a little indulgence. It's not bad at all. I prefer natural and stay away of sugar free... like a sweet cream style.

Mixing a bit of milk and a bit of creamer also works for me. I don't like the sugar free ones but gonna try those walden farms ones. I like their salad dressings.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I second the voice against veg based oil creamers. We have them in Canada but when I compared the cals against half-and-half cream it was 5-10 cals LESS to use the real stuff (I was surprised). Plus, hydrogenated oils are not good for you.

I have one really good 8 oz coffee a day - one cream, one sugar and sometimes dash of cinnamon and cloves from the spice rack - so yummy! Tried black coffee numerous times over my life and I can say that I will never like it that way, so I understand what OP is saying. If I feel like a flavour other than that then I will just buy flavoured coffee - 0 cals in that.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Definitely the real cream the better.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Alycat411 wrote: »
    And almond milk...and oat milk...what is that? It sounds glorious!

I call it oat milk but it says on the carton 'oat drink', Alpro is the brand I find the creamiest but there are others. No added sugar, low fat, dairy free. 100ml is 44 cals. Alpro also make nut 'milk' - there's almond, hazelnut or coconut, also rice and soya. Not sure if this brand is available in the US, it's well-known in the UK.
  • silverlotus
    silverlotus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free french vanilla creamer in mine. I think its about 60 calories for 4 TBSP, which is about what I use a day. Im ok with sacrificing 60 calories for my coffee since its the only thing I drink with calories in it.
  • Naynayjones
    Naynayjones Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you go on Pinterest they're are plenty of recipes to make your own homemade creamers with less calories!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I got used to a little less sugar. 2 tablespoons of half and half and two packs of sugar in the raw is 70 calories.