What are your fav brands for cold weather walks/running?

Options
13»

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I have to endorse the following
    (1) Headbands.
    Brand 100% doesn't matter. These were freebies (promotion).

(2) Layers.
    You can see I'm wearing a windbreaker, hooded sweatshirt, and scarf. This ensemble, plus my jeans, is good to about 20 F . Above 30F I wear the windbreaker open if its not particularly windy. Below 20F I add silk long underwear (yI love these! I purchased mine at Cabela's) under my pants. I really need to get a pair of windbreaker pants one of these days, it was -1F when I walked today wearing exactly this setup and my legs got rather chilly (winds of 25-30 mph).

At 0F I wear a warmer coat (a Baxter State Parka from LL Bean, seriously worth the money if you live where it is cold).

(3) Good shoes. Seriously, don't go running/walking in summer shoes, your feet will freeze if its below 30F.
    I bought Salomon boots this winter and love them. If it's below -10F I wear my Sorels though! There are good running shoes available that have superior grip & weather protection as well.

(4) Warm gloves. Actually, mittens, because they keep your fingers warmer, if you're out substantially below 10F.

(5) Below -10F you should really have very heavy-duty warm clothing. Make sure you cover your mouth with the scarf because air that cold is very hard on the lungs. Its cold enough that if you take a bottle of bubbles outside and blow them, they'll freeze instantly. While quite interesting, they're made of lipids.. and your skin is made of lipids. This is what's happening to any exposed skin.

(6) Below -20F I'd recommend you just stay in.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    jgewy500v9gm.jpg
    (Picture with post above)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Layers of crane brand(aldi) for my long run today in in 2°c (36f).
    Compression shorts,long socks and long sleeved shirt under padded cycling tifhts(thicker) with half zip hi vis tech shirt.thicker crane cycling gloves too.
    Cost under £30($50).