Lower carb meal/snack ideas??

I am having a really hard time cutting back on carbs. I am not trying to eliminate them or go crazy low, I'm just trying to keep carbs at 30% of my macros for now....the problem is I LOVE them and they are in everything!! I also have 2 young kids that need more carbs than me. I need easy ideas that don't have a million ingredients or take hours to make. Any ideas...I'm open to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack ideas! Thanks!

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Carbs are not necessary bad. I am high carb.
    Quinoa, plain oatmeal, sweet potato, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, fruits, chickpeas, and lots and lots of Beans.
    What carb foods are you having trouble with? Maybe eat some grilled chicken with them?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    If higher carbs keep you feeling full and your able to stay within your calorie goal and get your minimums for fat and protein, then there really isn't an issue.

If you're feeling hungry and are unable to stay within your calorie goals, proteins and fats could make you feel full longer. Some snacks I enjoy are greek yogurt, jerky, nuts, cheese, cottage cheese, hummus with fresh veggies, etc.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    I eat 40% carbs and most of them come from fruit and veg. Hummus and veg is awesome, so is apple and peanut butter (but apples are fruit so a bit higher in carb). When I was super low carb one of my favorite things was lunch meat used as a wrap for veggies.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    The simplest way to cut carbs is reduce foods with significant sugars added (ie "junk food") and baked goods, grains and starches. If you cut back on rice, oatmeal, rice, noodles, bread, muffins and such. Some fruits like grapes, dates and mangos are also higher in sugars. If sugar containing foods are lower, your carbs will drop and you will be left with healthy veggies and fruits; if that isn't enough carbs then start adding back whole grains.

ETA my favorite snacks are cheese, pepperoni sticks, tuna, raw veggies in cheese dip, nuts, egg, coffee with cream and protein powder, or coconut with cacao nibs.
  • cmz0901
    cmz0901 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you everyone for the great ideas! I do love hummus, eggs, and a lot of other things mentioned. I'm finding now that there are a lot of carbs in things I don't think about, such as condiments and fruit! But thanks again for the great suggestions!
  • jennabeth211
    jennabeth211 Posts: 3 Member
    Guys feel free to add me! Always on the lookout for new friends!