Any Personal Trainers/Fitness Professionals Out There?

Options
Hello everyone,

I recently saw a post here where several people talked about how some personal trainers just have an online certification and no other type of training. I also know that some people feel that certain fitness certifications aren't as credible as others. For example, when I taught a women & weights class at a gym, so many trainers thought AFAA was a joke, and didn't measure up to the standards of ACSM or ACE.

I am still on my journey to being the best me I can me by living a healthier lifestyle. When I accomplish my health goals, I want to develop a community outreach program that provides health education, group fitness, personal training, and social support to low-income areas. In the process, I am researching which certification would be the best choice . I am very into strength training and was considering the CSCS certification. In graduate school, I was told by my professor that ACSM is the gold standard when it comes to exercise physiology research, but there are other certs that appear to be just as good. I really want to make sure that I get a reputable certification, but there are so many out there to choose from. Also, these certifications are very expensive, so I want to make sure I am making a good investment.

What are your thoughts on fitness certifications? Should I eventually get more than one pt cert?For pts, how did you get started, particularly those of you who have your own business? I would appreciate the advice!

Replies

• CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Your certification doesn't really matter. NSCA, NASM, or ACSM are all reputable organizations to get certificated through.

I wouldn't bother getting more than one certification, you won't learn much, and honestly no one will really care. You're better off spending that time and money on some good training books.

I started out as a S&C coach for a couple years, then decided to start my own pt business. I would suggest you get a job as a trainer at a chain gym for a few years to gain some experience, then if you feel comfortable to go out on your own.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I realize that people that I've talked to could care less about what certification their trainer had as long as their pt motivated them, and gave them results. I do want to get as much knowledge as I can though so that I can provide the best service to my clients. You're right about gyms being a good start for experience.. Hopefully everything will workout!