What Im Doing To Release Weight #2016

Options
2»

Replies

• amoracherise2
    amoracherise2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Calorie intake of 1,300-1,500/day. Light exercise throughout the week. Practicing moderation, so I can enjoy foods I want regularly; I don't like the concept of "cheating". Creating sustainable changes, and losing the weight slowly and steadily.

I love this.. I say cheating only because I get carried away if I try to keep it in moderation.. My body doesn't like that lol
  • amoracherise2
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,
    Just thought I'd put this out there for whoever is curious about what I am doing for my first month in my journey.
    Highest Weight: 350
    Starting Weight: 344.6
    Goal Weight: 200
    Meal Plan:
    Intermittent Fasting 16:8
    1200 Calories
    2 Meal Replacement Shakes
    1 Balanced Meal with Veggie Meat
    Lots of Water
    1 Cheat Day Every 14 days
    Exercise Plan
    20 minutes any Exercise/ 3 x a Week
    Please Feel free to add me and Share what you guys are doing as well!!!

Sounds like a very professionally prepared plan, and I certainly would not discourage anyone from implementing a plan that they have arrived at after weighting all the pros and cons of the various options.

Knowing what I do now, if I were advising a 340lb friend on how to get to 200lbs I would say the following:

Eating 80% of their Total Daily Energy expenditure (i.e. a 20% deficit) is as fast as most people should go. While still medically obese, increasing that to a 25% deficit would probably be ok.

For most people a loss of 0.75% of their body weight per week is as fast as they should go. While morbidly obese a loss rate of up to 1% or 1.5% may be acceptable.

However, these maximum loss rates are often needlessly hard on people and result in discouragement, burn out, and waking up one day cursing the whole process.

Why don't you figure out what your caloric needs would be as a sedentary person at your goal weight of 200lbs?
    At 340lbs you will still see excellent results if you eat that amount of food.

As you get closer to 200lbs your rate of loss will slow down; but, by then, you will also be physically able to boost your activity and exercise levels to increase your deficit.

And figuring out how to remain satisfied eating day in and day out (and forever) the amount of food you will be eating to maintain your weight at 200lbs is an invaluable exercise in and of itself. Much more valuable than hitting the shakes. Honestly: eat your calories, drink water. much more filling. Eat a bunch of apples that are worth the same calories as your shake plus a couple of cups of water and tell me which keeps you full longer.

And, while there are great arguments that exist for a re-feed day if you are doing a very low calorie diet (and a 1200 Cal diet IS very low calories for a 340lb person) , cheat days have connotations that are not very good, and introduce planned binges, which are also not very good.

Life will happen. Friends will show up. You will go to a movie. A relative will have a birthday. A business lunch or dinner engagement will have to be navigated.

At some point of time you will have a large meal and your day will end up with your calories being above where you expected them to be.

You do need to plan to keep these occurrences to a dull roar; I doubt you need to plan to go out looking for them every 14 days :smiley:

Carb cycling, intermittent fasting, a lot of tricks exist to improve on your results and to make advances at the margins. However, between 340lbs and 200lbs you are not at the margins. The basics will work absolutely fine in this range. Your biggest danger is burn-out and non-compliance as opposed to your body not cooperating in the shedding of the lbs.

As for exercise I would definitely look to increasing activity as opposed to looking for "exercise". WALKING not jogging should be your focus for the next 50+lbs, or even more. Swimming. In general activities that are easy on the joints and in particular the knees.

And to be very honest and based on personal experience I would start with increasing my walking activity. Walk in the house. Walk while talking on the phone. *kitten*-can the TV and in particular *kitten*-can eating in front of the TV. Walk to the store. For that matter walk anywhere you can. Adopt an imaginary dog and take him for a walk twice a day. When it gets easy... then it is time to increase the intensity!

And you may want to consider than the 150-160g of protein you should probably be eating to protect your existing lean mass are going to be very hard to swing on a 1200 Cal diet.

So yeah. You are embarking on a multi-year healthier living journey with, hopefully, no end for many years to come.

Even this very first phase of your journey, the big weight loss, is a 2+ year endeavour.

Make it easy on yourself. You don't need to starve in order to get to maintenance (the longest part of your journey) a few months sooner.

But you do need to spend this time implementing permanent changes to your relationship between food, activity level/movement, and exercise.

Best of luck!

thank you so much for your advice. I am pretty hard on myself. And I feel like without some type of structure I will fail. You are correct about alot of things and I will definitely consider your advice. It was very thorough and I truly appreciate you going in depth.
  • amoracherise2
    Options
    I like your positive attitude!

For me though, I don't like to set a lot of "rules" I have to follow. I like flexibility! My plan is just to eat what I want within my calorie goal, try to exercise regularly, and not beat myself up when I'm not perfect.

Also, not really my business, but I agree that 1200 calories sounds low based on your stats. I'm 5'2", 164 lbs, and I net about 1400 most days. I've lost 40+ pounds in 6 months this way.

Being heavier, Im just trying to create a large deficit so I can get a large amount off my body.
  • amoracherise2
    Options
    HW- 365 lbs
    CW - 216 lbs

Eating 1500-1800 depending on how much I work out. Working out 30-60 minutes a day plus yoga in the AM and restorative yoga in the PM. Mostly using fitnessblender cause I love those guys! Eating whole foods, not loads of anything processed, "cheat" meal every second friday (normally pizza). Just trying to focus on over all health and sustainable habits.

Is this the same amount of exercise you were doing when you were 365lbs? How long did it take for you to get to the weight you are now? Do you currently exercise 7 days a week? (Lots of questions i know lol)
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options

For me though, I don't like to set a lot of "rules" I have to follow. I like flexibility! My plan is just to eat what I want within my calorie goal, try to exercise regularly, and not beat myself up when I'm not perfect.

Also, not really my business, but I agree that 1200 calories sounds low based on your stats. I'm 5'2", 164 lbs, and I net about 1400 most days. I've lost 40+ pounds in 6 months this way.

Being heavier, Im just trying to create a large deficit so I can get a large amount off my body.

That was my point. I lose over 1 lb/week on 1400 net, and I'm smaller. You can get a 500 calorie deficit or more on a higher number. Remember that losing too fast can be unhealthy and besides that hard to maintain.

Go back and read @PAV8888 post. That advice is worth its weight in gold!

Best of luck!
  • amoracherise2
    Options

That was my point. I lose over 1 lb/week on 1400 net, and I'm smaller. You can get a 500 calorie deficit or more on a higher number. Remember that losing too fast can be unhealthy and besides that hard to maintain.

Go back and read @PAV8888 post. That advice is worth its weight in gold!

Best of luck!

Im trying to lose 10-15 lbs a month which isn't unhealthy for someone my size. I am morbidly obese and very young. I will be fine. Thank you.