Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Stuck

Alright, so I've been losing weight since May 2015. I'm a 5'5 male who came into college around 166 and ended my freshman year at 186. Decided to clean up my lifestyle. Worked out all summer, was down to 165 by mid August going to sophomore year. Came home for Thanksgiving Break, was around 158. Came back home for winter break which is a month for me. Dropped to 153 currently, but I want to be 149. I can't shake off these last 4 pounds. I workout 5 days a week, both treadmill and cycling, burning between 450-600 calories. And I eat around 1700 calories, was 1500 but i was always hungry. I fell into a few bad habits only because of the lack of healthy foods I had access to at the time. Rarely do I ever eat cupcakes, chips, candy, drink soda or etc.

Morning: Two waffles and Protein Shake
Lunch: Sandwich, yogurt, fruit
Dinner: Fish with Potatos
Snacks: Yogurt, granola bar, toast, health snacks
Drinks: Water, Milk, or Green Iced Tea

I'm aware that I'm young and it'll just burn off, my mom says that all the time. But, I've been overweight my whole life and I'm just doing my body a favor by treating it with a better lifestyle. Fitness is important to me because I come from an overweight family. Don't go out for food because I can't stand restaurants with their high calorie meals. Fast food I really hate, they're the reason why I gained so much weight. So I eat at home and control how much I eat. Never felt this good in my whole life.

I'm lost at this point, been 153 since mid December and can't go any further. I don't want to eat less and I don't want to work even harder at the gym and stress my body out. Any ideas?

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Maybe you should into body recomp or a heavy lifting program. Switch to eating at maintenance and focus on building muscle. I think there are a lot more people better qualified here than i am to give better, more specific advice, though, so wait for the weight lifting experts to step in (i lift weights, but only to preserve muscle, not build muscle...yet.)
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    I think you have options. It seems you're doing lots of cardio but no resistance training. Look into getting resistance bands or a bodyweight program if you don't have access to barbells and dumbbells. Or continue going without resistance training but continue eating at a deficit. The results may not be as fast as when you first lost, but at least you won't gain until you lose those last five.

If you add the resistance training, you might be happier with the shape of your body after just a few months of doing it and staying in a small caloric deficit rather than just focusing on weight loss.
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but for my tuppence/two cents I'd certainly agree with the above, resistance training is great in many ways. As has been said, if you don't have access to a gym or barbells/dumbbells then a bodyweight/calisthenics routine would be a good starting point. There's a ton of resources on them online, find a beginning bodyweight routine and go from there. You can do them anywhere where you have about 2 square meters of space.
    Might be worth also measuring yourself if you don't already, measure your waist, hips, thighs, chest and so forth as that way if the scale stays the same for a while but your measurements change you can see you're still dropping fat.