Please help! Weight gain/ovulation.

Options
Could I not be consuming enough calories? I did the MFP that recommends how many calories to eat. That puts me at 1,200. I've been tracking religiously for over 2 months. I'm gaining weight. Could I not be consuming enough calories? I do cardio 3/4 days a week, 30 minutes. I'm going to the doctors on Thursday to get some blood work done -- to make sure everything is okay in that department.

I also ovulated this week. Can that cause 2lb weight gain?

Replies

• daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your solid food on a scale and measuring liquids with measuring cups? If not, you're off on your calorie estimates and eating more than you think.

Water weight fluctuations aren't uncommon during different phases of the cycle, so you might have seen a move on the scale because of ovulating.
  • JennB629
    JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Are you weighing your solid food on a scale and measuring liquids with measuring cups? If not, you're off on your calorie estimates and eating more than you think.

Water weight fluctuations aren't uncommon during different phases of the cycle, so you might have seen a move on the scale because of ovulating.

Yes, I have a food scale & use my measuring cups.

• edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Happens to me every time. If your weigh in day falls on that point in your cycle it is most likely normal. Used to frustrate me, but in speaking with my doctor, she assured me it was normal to gain up to 3lbs of water weight. I tend to gain it at the end of my cycle.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    JennB629 wrote: »

Make sure you only use measuring cups for liquids. For example, my oatmeal says a serving is 1/3 cup or something like 30g. If I weigh that 1/3 cup of oatmeal, it works out to be more than 30g which would lead to logging less than you are actually consuming.

Do you log everything? That splash of cream in coffee, oil when cooking, little snack here and there?

Also, how much do you have to lose? 1,200 calories is usually far too low for most people
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I rarely show a loss on the scale and often show a gain until mid-cycle (ovulation), and then I have this free fall the second half of my cycle. It will probably average out over the 4 full weeks, assuming you are logging accurately.
  • JennB629
    JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    JennB629 wrote: »

Make sure you only use measuring cups for liquids. For example, my oatmeal says a serving is 1/3 cup or something like 30g. If I weigh that 1/3 cup of oatmeal, it works out to be more than 30g which would lead to logging less than you are actually consuming.

Do you log everything? That splash of cream in coffee, oil when cooking, little snack here and there?

Also, how much do you have to lose? 1,200 calories is usually far too low for most people

I have 30ish pounds to lose. Yes, I log everything from seasons, spices, creamer, ketchup.