Support and encouragement

Options
I'm new to this group, and need lots of support and encouragement , I have used the app on and off for a couple of years, but need to stick to it now, both for vanity and health reasons.
Any advice welcome, as I start off really keen, then it seems to tail off

Replies

• debbchapman
    debbchapman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I seem to be in a similar boat and I do really well for a month or two until the enthusiasm wanes...
  • Natasha8890
    Natasha8890 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Add me and we can keep each other motivated!
  • garbagecop
    garbagecop Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. I, too, have been on this site for a couple of years, and it's amazing how helpful it can be...if you stick with it. That's obviously the key, but staying motivated can be really hard. I've done very well losing 10-15 pounds of the 40 I need to lose, but then I fall off the wagon and have to start all over again...like today. So I would also welcome a small circle of e-pals who are struggling with the same situation.

Here's some food for thought: Since we all suffer with emotional/mental blocks that tend to derail our efforts, I think it's better to approach this from a more scientific/organized point of view. Back in 2008, I went to Slim4Life, one of those lose weight quick places. Lost 40 pounds in 16 weeks. By the way, I don't recommend it! I did gain it all back within 2 years. Anyway, it wasn't that hard! They gave me a very detailed plan. Once you put your mind to it - like we all have done today - it's a matter of setting ourselves up to succeed.

YOU CAN'T MANAGE WHAT YOU CAN'T MEASURE

I printed this out in big letters and taped it above my computer screen where I spend the bulk of my time. My goal is 20 pounds by Memorial Day (a completely doable goal), and I plan to use this mantra to get there. If I do nothing else - commit to nothing else - it will be to not put anything in my mouth that I cannot easily log on the MyFitnessPal diary. Before, that was probably my biggest downfall. I'm sure some of you have experienced it, too. You eat something that's too hard to calculate and say "screw it". That sabotages the entries for the rest of the day. Next thing you know, it's 3 days later. Nope, not this time!

Since I believe this is the single most important thing on my weight loss to-do list, I need to come up with how I can stay the course. It's all in the planning. What's for breakfast tomorrow? How about lunch and dinner? Deciding at the last minute is no longer an option. What am I going to eat if I get hungry in between? Is it readily available? Or am I going to go cupboard surfing? If I do, what lurks in there that will derail me?

If I plan my meals and snacks at least 3 days in advance, it will be easier to stick to my plan. No diet food. I will eat anything my heart desires...as long as I stay within my 1,200/day calorie intake goal. If I go over, MyFitnessPal will be the first to let me know! But only if I am logging food - and not cheating at it.

So, I am in the process of cleaning out the fridge and cupboards and writing down some of my favorite "reasonable" meals, like BBQ jumbo shrimp on the grill, lettuce wraps and fruit; fish tacos, half a potato stuffed with taco meat, fat free sour cream and some shredded cheddar cheese, etc. While I get my next week's food plan together, I have picked up a few TV dinners. That will help with calorie counts and portion control. And frankly, sometimes I just don't feel like cooking! TV dinners keep me from sabotaging myself. And it's amazing what a low-fat, sugar-free fudgesicle will satisfy at 9 p.m. when I'm standing in front of the open fridge door!

So what are you doing to prepare for this long journey? What are your favorite low-cal go-to meals?

Glad to be back. Looking forward to making some new e-pals who share my desire to drop a size or two by summer!

Lynn O.
    Minneapolis