Do you keep lifting with low back muscle spasms?

Options
I hurted my back doing deadlifts. The MRI shows my disk are fine just have a lot of muscle spasms. I went easy for about a week but I'm ready to start lifting again but my back still hurts .

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How is this even a question????
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Well, no.
  • BonyCastro
    BonyCastro Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So you all stop working out because your back is sore?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Define "sore."

Sore, as in a little fatigued, because it's being used? No, I/we don't stop.

Sore, as in we hurt it lifting? Yes, I/we stop. If I/we are smart, that is.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Don't do dead lifts while your back hurts from a dead lifts injury. Ask someone to show you proper form with dead lifts for the future.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You posted a few days ago that you hurt your back doing deadlifts. At that point, you were advised to stop lifting for several weeks, possibly longer. The advice remains. If you are injured, you are injured. Not all injuries show on MRIs. Let your body heal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    BonyCastro wrote: »
    So you all stop working out because your back is sore?

Sore and back spasms are the same thing now? Back issues so troubling that you got a MRI are the same as a little bit of DOMS?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    BonyCastro wrote: »
    I hurted my back doing deadlifts. The MRI shows my disk are fine just have a lot of muscle spasms. I went easy for about a week but I'm ready to start lifting again but my back still hurts .

The two bolded statements are in opposition.

What you need to do is get out of spasming pain by resting from hardcore stuff, doing some gentle movement to get blood flow into the area (walking is a good way get blood flowing without too much stress, possibly swimming). Massage and other MFR techniques can help to speed up the healing process too. When you've got a range of motion that is pain free, then you can slowly build up to heavier stuff (don't just jump straight back to the weights you were lifting pre-injury).

Finally, you want to re-examine your form and whether you are over-compensating with your lower back muscles because other things aren't firing properly. Lack of correct breathing/bracing, triggered up/under active glutes, over-tight psoas, slightly favouring one side over the other (due to a left right asymmetry), these things can all lead to lower back injuries when pulling. If you heal up, and don't work out what went wrong then you'll end up back here again...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What's the worst that could happen?