Planet fitness

Options
13»

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i just want to go to one and set the lunk alarm off with a deadlift PR so i can say i did it..dont really care if i get the boot haha
    That's a dumb idea. Why even bother? You only reinforce the stereotype they are perpetuating. Besides, are you sure that by walking in PF you won't just lose your gains by mearly being there? I wouldn't risk it.

well, to be fair. You literally cannot even deadlift anything there anyway.

Their handweights go up to 40 pounds and they only have smith machines.

so.....
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    i just want to go to one and set the lunk alarm off with a deadlift PR so i can say i did it..dont really care if i get the boot haha
    That's a dumb idea. Why even bother? You only reinforce the stereotype they are perpetuating. Besides, are you sure that by walking in PF you won't just lose your gains by mearly being there? I wouldn't risk it.

so.....
    Ex-coworker loved to compare his Smith Machine "deadlifts" with barbell deadlifts. He thought they were the same.

Do I have to mention he worked out at PF too?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

so.....
    Ex-coworker loved to compare his Smith Machine "deadlifts" with barbell deadlifts. He thought they were the same.

Do I have to mention he worked out at PF too?

giphy.gif
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

When I originally saw that spot, I wondered to myself why would a guy like that even think PF be remotely suited to his goals?

As a side note and I know this is a highly edited segment, but that PF's spokesperson -- what a condescending, horrible person.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I just joined and I am relatively fit. My main reason for joining though was the hydromassage machine. Plus with health insurance credit and company reimbursement it came out to be free. There is candy at the front desk. Havent experience the pizza and bagels yet but looking forward to it. Its not like the Y membership I had but once again it cost less and I already know what I am going there for and what I will do.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    By the author of "New Rules of Lifting":

Planet Fitness Is Not a Gym - And it’s stupid to keep pretending it is

...At Planet Fitness, it’s always January. They drive away the lifters who would be expensive to accommodate, in favor of those who’re least likely to swipe their cards more than a few times a month. Many, I suspect, don’t swipe their cards at all; the $10 monthly charge seems a small price to keep alive the dream of getting in shape.

It may be the best business model in the history of health clubs: a facility people pay for but barely use. And the company is proud of that. “We say we’re not a gym, we’re Planet Fitness,” says Gosselin, the company’s PR director.

The problem isn’t Planet Fitness. The company is perfectly clear about what it is. The problem is people who expect it to be something it isn’t: a place where serious lifters get serious workouts. You aren’t likely to get that for just $10 a month.

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/planet-fitness-is-not-a-gym
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

...At Planet Fitness, it’s always January. They drive away the lifters who would be expensive to accommodate, in favor of those who’re least likely to swipe their cards more than a few times a month. Many, I suspect, don’t swipe their cards at all; the $10 monthly charge seems a small price to keep alive the dream of getting in shape.

It may be the best business model in the history of health clubs: a facility people pay for but barely use. And the company is proud of that. “We say we’re not a gym, we’re Planet Fitness,” says Gosselin, the company’s PR director.

The problem isn’t Planet Fitness. The company is perfectly clear about what it is. The problem is people who expect it to be something it isn’t: a place where serious lifters get serious workouts. You aren’t likely to get that for just $10 a month.

I once read somewhere -- maybe its in even in this article -- PF described as an "adult daycare."
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did it over the summer. I couldn't get to the university gym and so I tried them.

I'm fairly solitary. When I go to the gym I zone out and pay no attention to anyone else. They are less neurotic about me working out in cargo shorts and work shirt. They don't seem to care if I put propel powder in my water (the university does for some reason).

However their equipment is more limited than the university and their facilities aren't as nice. Can I trade a hydro massage for showers? Or a steam room?

I am a bit weirded out by the pizza and bagels. I never partook, but they were once a week and publicized. But if you want a more spa-like gym experience then fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

I once read somewhere -- maybe its in even in this article -- PF described as an "adult daycare."

Nope, not in that article, and I think that's over the top. People are at different levels and PF might be just what some people need at a particular point in their lives. If I hadn't worked out for years while in shape and was comfortable in gyms, I would have found PF's message appealing.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

It's okay. You can come to my gym anytime.
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

In booty shorts.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

In booty shorts.

You know me too well.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    OK, so Planet Fitness is a Post Office which sells stamps ONLY to collectors.

I'll keep my Powerblock adjustable dumbbells and FitnessBlender, thank you.