Eating 1x day to stay under calories

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ya that's a bad idea.

Rather than one large meal, eat several small meals. Snack every few hours. It'll keep you full.

Also...no diet pills.

This^

What happens (under the 1 meal a day - diet pill plan) when you get to goal? How do you manage less food forever?

Eat reasonably. Maybe 1400 isn't enough (especially if you are exercising). Figuring out what keeps you full longer is very helpful for long term. Look for protein, fat and fiber. Those are filling components.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    It is much easier to stay on budget if you cook.

I usually will just make something for my kid as my husband works nights so it doesn't make sense to cook this whole meal affair when it's just me and her. She doesn't eat much and it's easier to throw a pb and j or some such in her general direction then to try to do an entire meal with sides and everything that my husband won't even be there for. Only time I cook a real meal is if he is off work and home to actually eat it.

IDK if it's relevant but I am also battling untreated depression which, depending on the day, makes me want to eat everything in sight or not a darn thing at all.

I'm curious why you and your daughter alone aren't worth cooking for? Just because your husband is gone, you guys don't deserve a meal? I'm not trying to be mean, but it seems you're not placing enough value on you and your daughter's needs.

And I know you said she is a picky 8 year old, but you are her mother and you control what she eats. I'm not suggesting putting her on your diet or taking all of her favorite foods away, but you'd do well by her to expose her to healthy food options now so she doesn't end up where you are later.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Please don't turn to appetite suppressants. I totally understand your frustration at grocery costs and what appears to be a very unsupportive family in this matter but you need to look after yourself and show your daughter a healthy outlook on food and her diet....skipping meals is no way to do this. God forbid also that you took pills which made you ill, how would you look after her? I'm sorry if this seems harsh but you're selflessly thinking of everyone elses requirements when it's ok to be a bit selfish at times and do what's right for you. Can you search for low cost meals online? It may be something you can involve your daughter in which may also give her the tools to budget and eat well when she's much older?

I really hope you can find a solution, I wish you the very best of luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Oh! Packets of tuna are usually around $1. Make a sandwich with that, light mayo, a little pickle relish, and pepper. Accompany that with some baked chips or veggies.

I work in a small office. Tuna would NOT be a good idea.

I cook broccoli in my office and my boss eats tuna all the time. This is not a huge imposition.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    With a tight finances meal planning and a budget is pretty essential.
    You can do a limited rotating menu of just a few meals/foods. Look for recipes with fewer ingredients.
    I find pre-logging my food for the whole day helps me stick to my calorie goal.
    Protein, fats and fiber help to feel full.
    Drinking mostly water saves some money.
    Cooking can be cheaper than pre-made meals.
    Oatmeal, dry beans, lentils, rice, pasta, frozen vegetables, potatoes, onions, peanut butter, eggs, tuna, popcorn are generally cheaper foods. Chicken thighs or a whole chicken can be cheaper than boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Sometimes buying a larger container and portioning it out is a bit cheaper. Buy foods whole and cut, shred, skin them yourself. Buy store brands. Soup is a good dollar stretcher and you can freeze and reheat it.
    Apply for assistance or visit a food bank.

http://www.budgetbytes.com
    http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2015/06/one-week-50-meal-plan-for-a-family-of-four/
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I just noticed that's $50/month and not $50/week. Um...what? Time for a second (or third) job. 1400 calories is 1400 calories...whether you eat it all at once or spread out, it's the same amount of food and therefore will cost the same amount of money. Looks like you'll be eating $12.50 of Ramen a week, because any variety on that budget is near impossible.

If I were you, I'd be watching Extreme Couponing for tips.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Sorry - totally didn't address the ACL thing. My husband had his reconstructed a year or so ago (many thanks NHS) and I was amazed at how soon he was on his bike (missed a whole season of rugby though) - I thought it would be awful for his knee but he said it's perfect as it's the natural movement for the joint so good for strengthening. Not ideal in your situation I'm guessing though. Could your doctor give you any advice? Or you could post a new thread on the exercise board - I'm sure someone there could help or has been in the same situation. A physiotherapist or someone. (I know nothing!)

I need to find a doctor with after hours appointments. Boss lady is not cool with me going to appointments during work hours. (I'm trying to find a more accommodating job but I haven't gotten any bites yet.) I'm waiting on the state to let me know what the status on my Medicaid is so I can even start to doctor hunt.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    Cheap?

On $50 a week...

Box of Cereal = $3-4
    7 Plain Chobani Yogurts 5.3 oz = $7 ---- or get the 32 oz for $5
    Get some bananas, apples, berries for the week = $5
    Smart Balance Chunky Peanut Butter = $3.25 (14 servings of 2 tablespoons)
    Loaf of Arnold Whole Grain Oat Nut Bread = $5.20 (enough in the package for 8 sandwiches)

Are you with me so far? Your cost for breakfast and lunch per day is $3.49 for the above.

Dinner/Supper

Box of Noodles = $1.50 - $2
    Package of Spinach or Spring Mix Greens = $2.50 - $3
    Two cans of Starkist Low Sodium tuna packed in water = $5.16 ($2.58 x 2 cans)
    Two chicken boneless/skinless breasts = $3.50
    One can of salmon = $2.50 - $3.50 for a 14.5 oz can!!!
    One small 6 oz sirloin steak (can cut in half to use it for two evening meals) = $3.75
    Chunk of Feta Cheese = $5.25

Total Cost $47.11 plus tax

Bowl of cereal and some yoghurt for breakfast (a little fruit as well). 350-400 calories
    Peanut better sandwich for lunch. 350 calories
    Veggies and noodles or spinach salad for dinner (noodles about 200-250 calories per serving, spinach leaves raw or Spring MIx calories are about 7 calories per cup) with some protein - (can of Starkist Low Sodium tuna packed in water - 120 calories, chicken breast - 280 calories, sirloin steak - 440 calories, salmon - 130 calories, or chunk of Feta cheese - 200 calories)

Days Total = 1300-1400 calories

How do I stretch that for 4 people though?

You didn't say that in your original post which I was responding....
    Worst idea ever? I started tracking yesterday and thought I was doing OK only to see I was 300 calories over goal for the day. I am not even sure how to stay full on 1400 calories a day with a limited grocery budget. ($50/week) I am debating just not eating save for dinner and and getting some diet pills to crush my appetite.

4 people on $50 a week? Lots of websites pop up that meet that goal - in terms of budget and food. You'll have to do the calorie calculations to see if they would meet your 1400 calorie per day goal, but I'm sure that would be the easiest part of the equation.

http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/05/how-i-feed-our-family-of-5-for-50-per-week.html

http://www.yourbeavercounty.com/allies-weekly-meal-plan-feeding-a-family-of-four-on-50-per-week/

http://www.grocerybudget101.com/cheapeats/50-weekly-menus-8/

http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2015/06/one-week-50-meal-plan-for-a-family-of-four/

Skip the diet pills to crush your appetite. Some nice tea with caffeine in the morning and mid-afternoon should take care of that. And drink lots of water.

Sorry. I'm stupid. I am not always great at clarity. I'm trying the best I can.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have a torn acl and lcl. There are workouts on YouTube that can be done sitting down (jessica Smith, i think) and low-impact workouts that i did while mine was still healing (as much as they will ever heal, anyway)
  • WanderingRivers
    edited January 2016
    Options

I usually will just make something for my kid as my husband works nights so it doesn't make sense to cook this whole meal affair when it's just me and her. She doesn't eat much and it's easier to throw a pb and j or some such in her general direction then to try to do an entire meal with sides and everything that my husband won't even be there for. Only time I cook a real meal is if he is off work and home to actually eat it.

IDK if it's relevant but I am also battling untreated depression which, depending on the day, makes me want to eat everything in sight or not a darn thing at all.

I'm curious why you and your daughter alone aren't worth cooking for? Just because your husband is gone, you guys don't deserve a meal? I'm not trying to be mean, but it seems you're not placing enough value on you and your daughter's needs.

And I know you said she is a picky 8 year old, but you are her mother and you control what she eats. I'm not suggesting putting her on your diet or taking all of her favorite foods away, but you'd do well by her to expose her to healthy food options now so she doesn't end up where you are later.

I value my kid a lot. She's just really petite and does not eat a lot so it does not make sense to me to put together big meals when it's just me and her eating. It's often easier to throw a kid friendly type food at her then it is to make something I can't guarantee she will eat.

I don't particularly value me but I know I need to lose to take pressure off my left knee and it's partially attached ACL.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Worst idea ever? I started tracking yesterday and thought I was doing OK only to see I was 300 calories over goal for the day. I am not even sure how to stay full on 1400 calories a day with a limited grocery budget. ($50/week) I am debating just not eating save for dinner and and getting some diet pills to crush my appetite.

There is nothing at all wrong with eating only one meal a day if you are comfortable with that and still getting proper nutrition. But if you have to take diet pills in order to make it comfortable you might want to rethink whether it is the right option for you.

Maybe it is. Appetite suppressants can be helpful when losing weight. But you'll need to learn to manage without them at some point.

Also, you don't have to buy separate foods for you and your family just because you are trying to lose weight. Just cook healthy normal meals for all and manage your portions. Dried beans, whole grains and frozen vegetables are cheap nutrient dense foods that are very versatile.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options

I value my kid a lot. She's just really petite and does not eat a lot so it does not make sense to me to put together big meals when it's just me and her eating. It's often easier to throw a kid friendly type food at her then it is to make something I can't guarantee she will eat.

I don't particularly value me but I know I need to lose to take pressure off my left knee and it's partially attached ACL.

I apologize if my post implied in any way that you don't value your daughter. That was not my intention. My point was just that the two of you alone are worth cooking for, even if your husband is gone.

And you don't have to make a large meal if you don't eat much. Cook off a chicken leg or two with some rice and a little veggie. Easy. Or better yet, cook large portions on the weekends, and you can reheat as much as you want throughout the week.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You can cook bigger meals that make leftovers. My husband and I do it all the time. Helps me not have to full on cook every night and can make some really delicious stuff. I have read all your comments on all the suggestions and you make all the excuses and even put yourself down. I would put dealing with weight til you deal with your depression because this journey is hard enough for Ppl who don't have depression. Get that under control then decide the best way to proceed for your weight with a clear head.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    I have a torn acl and lcl. There are workouts on YouTube that can be done sitting down (jessica Smith, i think) and low-impact workouts that i did while mine was still healing (as much as they will ever heal, anyway)

I need to have mine screwed back into place but can't afford it. :( So I am trying to find stuff that's as friendly as possible to my leg.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Some folks are giving you really great resources to research how to eat on your budget and in return. I live on a very tight budget but I cook every single meal I eat and figured out a way to eat at my goal. It definitely wasn't easy but I'm doing it.

It might be a good idea re-evaluate how badly you want weight loss and what are willing to do to get it. It's not easy, but you can't let excuses stand in your way. Push them aside and get what you want.
  • DerangedPixi
    DerangedPixi Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I live with 2 guys who eat what they want, when they want. I do cook for them but I don't cater to anyone's food choices, I make food for everyone and if they eat it great, if not even better for me because left overs! You can also eat whatever you want, just in smaller portions so if everyone likes spaghetti and meat sauce, make it, and eat it and if you have left overs take them for lunch.

Buy frozen fruits & veggies - they last longer. Get yourself a crockpot/slowcooker if you don't have one and make freezer meals for yourself. Cheap, easy, less sodium than a frozen dinner you buy. Google or go to pinterest and look there are TONS of ideas to do on a budget.

I think you are too "in diet mode", stop looking for reasons to NOT cook and just do it. Majority of the "I am so hungry" is in your head because you are restricting yourself too much. Also get up and move, I bet if you had exercised yesterday you wouldn't have been over those 300 calories.

• WanderingRivers
    edited January 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Ya that's a bad idea.

Rather than one large meal, eat several small meals. Snack every few hours. It'll keep you full.

Also...no diet pills.

This^

What happens (under the 1 meal a day - diet pill plan) when you get to goal? How do you manage less food forever?

Eat reasonably. Maybe 1400 isn't enough (especially if you are exercising). Figuring out what keeps you full longer is very helpful for long term. Look for protein, fat and fiber. Those are filling components.

Currently goal is 135lbs but I am heavily considering moving it to 115 or less since that's when everyone else says I looked my best.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of good ideas, and so far you've shot down every single one. It would be worth preparing a real meal for yourself and your daughter because you both would be getting proper nutrition and you can take the leftovers to work for lunch. No microwave? Eat it cold/room temp, it won't kill you. Torn ACL? Do seated exercises in the privacy of your room while hubby is at work. Budget problems? Go to a food bank and shop the sales. If you really just can't get your act together to follow any advice, then don't ask for it.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

You don't have to make huge meals - you could also try cooking up big batches of meals and then freezing them, so you've always got healthy home cooked meals ready to heat up.
    Your daughter might be young and picky now but her attitude to food is going to develop based on what she's taught at home.
  • racheladkins2002
    racheladkins2002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This may have already been recommended, but just in case. When I was living on a really tight budget, we ate a lot of the following:

Eggs
    Dried Beans cooked in the slow cooker or stove
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat pasta with ragu
    Turkey slices rolled with american cheese
    Apples
    Carrots (cut them myself to save money)
    Frozen vegetables in the big bags (cheaper per ounce than steamable bags)