Working out with a disability

Options
Hey Folks!

I'm starting up my weight loss journey I went on a few years ago. I have unfortunately gotten sick and put weight back on. My doctor has diagnosed me with fibromyalgia and some GI issues and recommends exercise in conjunction to my medication. While I really want to push myself and do more--I find I can do a lot less, and a lot less vigorous of workouts. I want to lose a substantial amount of weight this year, but am not sure how to get there with my limitations.

Are there any other people out there facing similar situations and can offer some advice?

Replies

• SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    First, start by what you consume. Make your calories count, so your body can thrive on what you do eat. As for exercise, you have to find what works for you, even if it is just walking to begin with. I had a series of surgeries the past 18months (2 more to go this year) that included some major recovery time. I started slowly with walking, then yoga and ramped it up as I healed between surgeries, doing what I could. After one surgery I couldn't do any upper body exercises, so I learned to enjoy cardio. I had previously hated it, but since I was unable to lift anything heavier than a fork for 2 months...I did what I could. Also, Focusing on my diet when I was convalescing really helped me keep from gaining weight. You can do this. And remember - any exercise is better than none!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and do some cardio with Crohn's but can't jump, do high impact or direct ab work. I only can workout 3 days a week in a good week with one complete rest day (a real rest day, ie napping) in between because of the fatigue, joint pain and other symptoms
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    There are a few of us with fibro on the forum. Do a search for fibromyalgia and join in the conversations
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Other things aside, are you actually "disabled"? I encourage you not to give yourself that label unless it's accurate, because it'll put you in a mindset of not being able to do things. I lived with fibro for more than 20 years before I became disabled from it - and I fight every day to become more able again.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I used to work out with a guy who was paralyzed from the waist down in a car accident. He pushed himself like no one I've ever witnessed, kept to a strict diet, and never made excuses.

He did it by choosing to do it, and so can you.