Can't understand not being able to get all your calories...

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    when i don't eat meat or processed carbs it takes me a lot to get to 1500 calories in a day

This...when my carb count is low, so is my calorie count. I don't eat anything with dairy either. It's hard to make 1500 with lean protein and veggies.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've noticed when I eat a lot of vegetables it can be a challenge.

Yes. The bulk is very filling.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I get it. I remember back when I used to 'diet', so many things were off limits and I felt guilt for eating any high calorie foods. It was difficult to hit my calorie goals for the day because I didn't know what I could eat.

That's not the case for me anymore.

That's you - not everyone else. Your personal experiences aren't =/= to everyone else's experiences.

Either way, I like my lifestyle and I've never been happier. It's not because "I don't know what I can or can't eat" my meal plan is very clear, and simple. I've done a lot of home work on keto before I started last year.

By the way, who said I, or others watching their intake can't enjoy certain high calorie foods foods? I know I enjoy eating high calorie, high fat foods (e.g. fatty cuts of meat, heavy whipping cream, sour cream, cheeses, various oils, etc...) but they fill me up to the point where I don't need to eat everything in sight thus I eat in moderation (something I was never able to achieve in a non keto lifestyle.)

This works for me, whether you believe it or not. It's smug people like you with your little attitude that damages other people who're trying to do good for themselves. Honestly, I don't think you "get it."

People get on here and whine about "fat shaming" but I think "diet, lifestyle, calorie intake shaming" is a lot more rampant, and honestly if fat shaming isn't acceptable here, neither should this form of shaming be.

That said, what works for me isn't going to work for everyone, just as what works for you might not work for everyone; no two people are the exact same; it's not a hard concept to master.

You seem angry. I apologize if my attitude seemed smug to you, it wasn't my intention and you're right; it was my own experience, I'm not speaking for the rest of the world.

I just stated that I understand how it can be difficult to get in all your calories. Congrats on your success though :)
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700-1800 calories a day and hit that easy and also hit my 30/40/30 carbs/protein/fat macros majority of those days too. I could probably eat 2500+ calories of clean food without a problem, I'm constantly hungry, especially the day after a big lifting session. I tried the 1200 calorie thing before I started lifting and I thought I was gonna eat someones head off I was so hungry. Its just about finding the items that pack more punch with less volume if you have problems meeting your calorie goals. Have 4oz of chicken instead of 4oz of lean fish, theres about 20-30 more calories depending on the fish, drink a protein shake, eat an avocado, eat some nuts. It may take time to sit down and play around with your macros and plan things out, but I've never had a problem with not being able to reach my calorie goals.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It's an anomaly when I can manage under 2,000. Sometimes I'll get on "clean eating" kicks, but the low-calorie foods aren't filling, no matter how much volume. It's the oddest sensation to be almost done with eating a huge bowl of vegetables and have my stomach growling at the same time. It may have been 5 cups of cauliflower, but that still only comes to 125 calories and probably got burned off with the chewing.

I'm wondering how many of you who feel full on 1,200 calories or less live in humid areas. When I was on vacation in Florida, it was so muggy, eating was a turnoff during the day when I was out and about in the heat. So maybe those of you in high temperature areas with either no air conditioning or work outside have an advantage when it comes to hunger?
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I diet on 3200 calories and I'm starving. Cannot imagine just eating 1200-1500 calories - I'd die:laugh:

This is clean and healthy good food btw :smile:

I that is you the picture, I can see why! Wow!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Cold winters, warm summers (with little/no air conditioning), and an active lifestyle during said summers will do it for a lot of people. Next time you're shaking your head, ask yourself if at least part of this trifecta may be at work... chances are pretty good that it is.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Usually, those people are miscalculating and/or lying to themselves and/or depriving themselves to be dramatic.

It's just so "amazing" how a 350 pound 5'3" female that's 35 and has been overweight her whole life eating tons of god knows what can download MFP and magically 6 days later "can't bear" to eat 1400 calories in a day.

Habits are not made or broken that quickly.

Speak for yourself. I've been great for 506 days in a row, no cheat days, no days of rest..... you know whay? Because if I take tomorrow off for whatever reason.... then I'll make an excuse the following day. I WILL break the habit I've had for the past 506 days ....in ONE day. The ADHD in me will let me do that in an instant.

DOn't assume habits can't be made or broken that fast. It took me less than 1 day to start this habit, Feb 7th was 'the day I saw how fat I was" Feb 8th was the day I started changing that.....a habit made.

First off, let me make clear that I am not here to blast anyone and I sincerely applaud your success and dedication. :flowerforyou:

Let's clarify the word "habit". I've always understood a habit to be something one does repeatedly without purposeful thought or intention. I make the same decisions you make everyday about my eating, as do lots of other people. Why? Because it is not a true habit for me yet. I still have to think about it and choose to do right by my body. "Yes, that pizza would taste so good, but no, I am going to assemble my own healthier version to enjoy." As long as I am having to make a conscious decision, I don't know that I could call it a habit. (Maybe that is just the linguist in me and I am being too picky. Would not be the first time.)

Again, if I offended you, I apologize.

(edited to correct typo)
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    other option vs eating actual food is to use supplements like protein powders etc and that will boost your calories really fast like processed foods...

eating actual whole food that are low cal high nutrient and to fit macros there is alot of volume that has to be consumed.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700-1800 calories a day and hit that easy and also hit my 30/40/30 carbs/protein/fat macros majority of those days too. I could probably eat 2500+ calories of clean food without a problem, I'm constantly hungry, especially the day after a big lifting session. I tried the 1200 calorie thing before I started lifting and I thought I was gonna eat someones head off I was so hungry. Its just about finding the items that pack more punch with less volume if you have problems meeting your calorie goals. Have 4oz of chicken instead of 4oz of lean fish, theres about 20-30 more calories depending on the fish, drink a protein shake, eat an avocado, eat some nuts. It may take time to sit down and play around with your macros and plan things out, but I've never had a problem with not being able to reach my calorie goals.

This. My diet isn't the best of diets, and I know I need to clean it up :p But chocolate is nice, you know? With that said, when I am eating a lot better, I make sure that the exercise I do is geared to making my body fitter and stronger, and less about a number on a scale - even though I am trying to get that number down a fair bit.

I got to this size by eating a fair amount, and I like food. So I only need to eat a little bit less in order to lose *some* weight.
    The key message I've seen here, not just in this thread, but most others is "I lose weight faster". Why is that even an issue? Losing weight super fast should never be a goal. This is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The belly distention of starving children is caused by a protein deficiency. Fluid from the lymph system can't be cleared properly and leaks into the belly.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    The belly distention of starving children is caused by a protein deficiency. Fluid from the lymph system can't be cleared properly and leaks into the belly.

WTH is that????
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I got to this size by eating a fair amount, and I like food. So I only need to eat a little bit less in order to lose *some* weight.
    The key message I've seen here, not just in this thread, but most others is "I lose weight faster". Why is that even an issue? Losing weight super fast should never be a goal. This is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.

Meh, the only lifestyle change I made was to start exercising regularly. I didn't go back and re-read all the replies, but can you point out the messages that said they ate less to lose faster?
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    ^
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Usually, those people are miscalculating and/or lying to themselves and/or depriving themselves to be dramatic.

It's just so "amazing" how a 350 pound 5'3" female that's 35 and has been overweight her whole life eating tons of god knows what can download MFP and magically 6 days later "can't bear" to eat 1400 calories in a day.

So if something is not in your personal experience, it must be due to some flaw in the other persons personality? Perhaps the 350 pound woman has been dieting/binging for years and got her metabolism so low that they gain weight very easily on lower calories than normal weight people eat. Coupled to that, they eat high calorie food with little satiation. One day they empty their fridge and cupboards and replace all that food for low carb high protein food with fruit and veg and they can eat way more than they are used to eating but not take in the calories. Also, within a few days of cutting out the processed carbs, they are not getting the huge sugar fluctuations that enhance appetite. Finally, they are not used to counting calories and so err on the side of caution throughout the day and find that when it comes to the evening they have more calories to eat than they can manage....Not too difficult to understand in my opinion.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    But it is actually really difficult to find non-reduced fat cheeses.
    Really? Full fat Yogurt is getting to be really difficult to find, but I never have trouble finding full fat cheese. Which is good, because I consider low fat cheese to be an abomination.
  • CrimsonNBlues
    CrimsonNBlues Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think it could be a result of a radical lifestyle change. I lived in Thailand for about a year and a half and when I first got there, I completely lost my appetite for a few months. I didn't have any physical or psychological issues, I was very happy and I LOVED the food, but I would eat a few bites of something and feel stuffed. The food was completely different than what I was used to, plus I was walking everywhere. If I had been counting calories, it would have been difficult for me to reach 1200, just because I felt full all the time. So it may be my body was just in shock from a radical change. I've similar experiences even in shorter trips to other countries.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i wish i could enlighten you but alas i have never had that problem and this is why i gained all my weight oh and drinking :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options