Diary of a Gainer

Options
Well, I have been posting here and there about my bulking plan. So I decided to create a post just for it, it works just like a fitness diary. I call it... The Diary.

Food plan:
Meal 1: 25g whey protein shake, 1 cup oatmeal, coffee (of course)
Meal 2: 6oz cooked brown rice, 6oz cooked chicken breast (more coffee)
Meal 3: (after workout) 40g whey protein shake, 2-3 slides bread
Meal 4: 6oz cooked brown rice, 6oz cooked chicken breast
Meal 5: changes everyday, examples: ground beef and potatoes or burger and fries or pizza or pasta
Meal 6: (if needed) 25g whey protein shake mixed with berries

It is not a perfect food plan, but it fits my budget and daily schedule.

Training plan: Mon-Wed-Fri are DUP workouts. I use the same weight for four weeks, but add one set to each DUP exercise each week, then add weight to all the DUP exercises and cut back to the starting point on sets.

The starting point of sets is:
4 x 3 (power)
5 x 6 (strength)
3 x 10 (hypertrophy)
By adding a set per week, the volume after 3-4 weeks gets pretty high, but it is manageable.

Now, before some of you start to crucify me for not "doing it right", please understand that this routine is created around my needs and available equipment.
The exercises I chose are the ones that work the areas that I want to emphasize, upper chest, shoulders and upper back.

Routine:
Monday: Chest press, Pullups, Clean and Press + legs
Tuesday: Calves, forearms, abs (light day - sets of 25 reps)
Wednesday: Chest press, Pullups, Clean and Press + rear and side shoulders and traps
Thursday: Calves, forearms, abs (heavy day - sets of 10 reps)
Friday: Chest press, Pullups, Clean and Press + arms

The results:
Week 1: 196 lbs. (2200 calories)
Week 2: 198 lbs. (2400 calories)
Week 3: 199 lbs. (2600 calories)
Week 4: 200 lbs. (2800 calories)
Week 5: 201.5 lbs (2900 calories)
Week 6: 202.2 lbs (2900 calories)

On week 4 I tried using Animal Stak, but I had to stop after 1 week, that stuff made me way too angry and irritable, not kidding.

I will update this post on Mondays for the next 12 weeks.

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Looks like you might not be eating enough fat.
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Looks like you might not be eating enough fat.

I should have mentioned that the food plan listed is only the "template" I do eat avocados here and there, sometimes on my last meal I scramble some whole eggs, and I add oils to all the meals, also I snack on peanuts and almonds, and take fish oil as a supplement.
    You are right, by looking at the plan, it would seem that it is too "clean" but I do eat other fatty stuff, it just varies everyday.
  • memo1974
    Options
    I just realized this posted to the wrong category, not sure if I can delete the post, I can't find the delete key on here, delete, delete, delete!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    memo1974 wrote: »
    Food plan:
    Meal 5: changes everyday, examples: ground beef and potatoes or burger and fries or pizza or pasta

What are you, a bodybuilder from the 1980's?
  • memo1974
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Food plan:

1970's actually...
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Food plan:

1970's actually...

:D
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I just realized this posted to the wrong category, not sure if I can delete the post, I can't find the delete key on here, delete, delete, delete!

We can't delete our own posts, but if you really want this one gone you can flag it for the moderators to delete. Just choose the flag option (beneath your original post if you're reading from the website, or those three dots in the top right corner if you're reading from the app or a mobile device). Then choose Report and "This is my post and I want it deleted" and hit send. The mods will get rid of it once they check-in.
  • memo1974
    Options

We can't delete our own posts, but if you really want this one gone you can flag it for the moderators to delete. Just choose the flag option (beneath your original post if you're reading from the website, or those three dots in the top right corner if you're reading from the app or a mobile device). Then choose Report and "This is my post and I want it deleted" and hit send. The mods will get rid of it once they check-in.

Thank you!
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Food plan:

1970's actually...

Frank Zane!! ;-)

Thanks for posting the info.
  • memo1974
    Options
    Food plan:

1970's actually...

Frank Zane!! ;-)

Thanks for posting the info.

Ha! I wish!
  • memo1974
    Options
    Okay, updates for January 11, 2016.

Week by week so far:
    Week 7: 203 lbs (2900 calories)

Calories will stay at 2900 for week 8. Starting to notice the extra weight, bloated and feeling "soft", but happy with the results so far.

Also new this week, I will be playing with the carbs timing a little to maximize insulin sensitivity.

• memo1974
    Options
    6imv9bt4vcso.jpg

Here is a picture to start the week on the right foot.
  • memo1974
    Options
    Updates for January 18 2016

Week by week so far:
    Week 7: 203 lbs (2900 calories)
    Week 8: 203.4 lbs (2900 calories)

Well, that's it for the bulking part of my plan.
    Now begins the slow countdown to summer ripped and six pack.
    The plan is to slowly add more work to my weekly routine, this will burn more calories, I will still be eating high calories so there is a little chance of gaining some muscle yet.
    After 4 weeks I will begin to cut back on calories depending on how much I am loosing.
    The idea is to be in tip top shape for my 42nd birthday in April. Goal weight is 195lbs with about 10%-12% body fat. Maybe less, but there is no need to push it that low.

Good luck to all my gainerz buddies.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I managed to get up to 365lbs completely by accident LOL. I'll never understand how people think gaining is such a magical thing.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Why don't you use MFP to count calories and macros on a variety of foods? That's the beauty of it, you can eat a normal diet and play around with food you really like, especially when bulking. It's all about the 'clean' counting of calories, not the weird 'clean' frankenfoods.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I managed to get up to 365lbs completely by accident LOL. I'll never understand how people think gaining is such a magical thing.

Gaining muscle and minimizing fat isn't magical at all. But, unless you're just extremely lucky, I doubt it can be done efficiently without making an effort to follow the science.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Why did you carry on increasing your calories after you noticed a weight gain?

How much weight are you aiming for per month, i'm 43, so I'm planning on no more than 2lb per month for lean gains.
  • memo1974
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm a little confused by some of the comments here. I consider my plan a total success so far.
    It was my plan all along to bulk for 8-10 weeks, then slowly cut back to be ripped by April 2016.

@Springfield1970: that is exactly what I did.

@pbryd: because I was trying to gain weight? I was not concerned with the extra fat, I lose weight fast, so I can be a little less picky about that.
    To be able to gain this weight I had to stop doing everything I was doing cardio wise, otherwise I will have to eat over 5000 calories a day to be on a surplus. So, slowly incorporating the daily cardio while pushing heavy weights will lean me down to what I want to be. I have done this many time before, so I know how my body responds.
    I don't want to be like those guys at the gym in "permabulk" year after year, not my style.

Thank you for the input guys!
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thanks for answering my question. I'm going for a long lean bulk at 1-2lbs per month to minimise fat gain, this way it'll save me the trouble of having to take too much fat off when I want to cut.

I did read about higher fat having a detrimental effect on hormone levels. Specifically raising estrogen, cortisol and insulin. These three can hinder muscle gains.
  • aown61
    aown61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everything going to plan! Do you have any tips on cutting? I have been a regular gym go'er for many years but doing it totally wrong, so at 32 years old this is the first time I have officially 'bulked' and the first time I would have aimed at a cut, I'm not really clued up as to what I should be doing when the time comes. (I'm thinking of beginning a cut in early March)
    Andy