Whats your favorite cardio routine?

Options
Cause to be perfectly honest- I hate running. But I don't know what else to do because of my schedule. I work crazy shifts. I mean, I dance in my room once in awhile..but that only does so much.

SOO what's a cardio routine you've found to work well for you and that you enjoy? And if you enjoy running- how? lol. Give me pointers on how to make it fun.

Replies

• areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Running, swimming and biking. I do triathlons, so i find joy in all of them.

For running to be fun, you have to just relax and enjoy it. Just because you go for a run doesn't mean you have to run the whole time. You can run for 5 min, walk for 2. You could also do a sprint/jog workout. You could jog for a little then pick something out ahead of you and sprint to it. Also try music.
  • mom12868
    mom12868 Posts: 8
    Options
    cardio kickboxing... I take a class at my gym and it is fun and you can be at any level to do this. work at your own pace as long as your moving your doing great.
  • CRASHDIETER
    CRASHDIETER Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tubo Kick (at the gym) or buy a Turbo Jam DVD to do it at home, Hip Hop Hustle (at the gym too), or Zumba you can buy this on a DVD too. Those are the cardio workouts that I thoroughly enjoy!! Good luck to you.:smile:
  • amg5157
    amg5157 Posts: 52
    Options
    I LOVE the elliptical...I think I love it so much now not only for the stress relief but bc I remember the first time i got on it and I could barely do 5min before my legs felt like they were going to fall off....

Now...I will do anywhere between 30-60min on there depending on the day of the week. I go 2min @ 190 and then jump up the resistance to 7or8 with a pace of 210 for 1 min and then i repeat forward for 10min and then backwards for 10min.

THAT is my FAV cardio thing to do!!!
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I agree ith amg...the elliptical is the best way to burn the most calories quickly. So if you only have 30 minutes available, I'd spend it on the ellipty too. I like playing basketball, it burns great calories and is a lot of fun. I like to take walks down by the river with my family. I haven't been able to bike ride since my surgery, but I look forward to getting back on a bike outdoors (i'm limited to the stationary bikes with the back support for now)
  • mfpchar
    mfpchar Posts: 29
    Options
    Elliptical. I bring my iPod Touch with my soap operas on them (easy to pay attention and lose myself). Sure it takes a few days to get used to the workout, but now its my fun time
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Running, Turbo Kick, or the elliptical.
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Favourite in terms of it seeming a natural action that I enjoy is rowing.

But favourite in terms of what i think works best for me is cycle machine. I always do my cardio as simple intervals, 1 min as fast and hard out as is mechanically possible, 1 min slow, fast, slow ... for say 30 mins. I don't enjoy it to be honest, but I think it works best for me.

Boxing is great, though I don't quite consider it "cardio". More like sheer lunacy. :-)
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I run while I watch TV time goes by much faster.
  • gorefan82
    gorefan82 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Elliptical Trainer. I do 33 minutes about 3-4 days a week. And I love to play Tennis 1-2 times a week.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I love the 30-day-shred. Pop it in your DVD player, it's only 27 minutes long (including the warmup and cooldown). :) I haven't been able to do it because my legs are sore, and I can't wait to do again!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I also like the 30 day shred and the biggest loser cardio max. The elliptical is a good workout., Lately, I've been doing a dvd, then going on a bike ride. I burn a lot more calories by doing the cardio dvd first! I tend to burn around 150 more and hour, plus the calories burned by the dvd!
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    zumba cardio party! super fun!
  • cclarocque
    cclarocque Posts: 15
    Options
    SPINNING!!! It is a blast and you get such a great workout. It makes you feel so powerful and the music pumps you up.
  • robinlea1
    robinlea1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm blessed to have a great set of stairs 1 mile from my house. 234 steps that lead down to a beautiful river! I do the steps 6 times now without stopping. It's a 40 minute workout at this time and my legs and butt look great! I hate running but this....I love!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I used to HATE running. Now, I'm addicted. I just started running in January and adjusted my eating and started getting serious about this website. I've tried gyms, I always find excuses not to go. I can't run on the treadmill, I have to do it outside. I tried running in the mornings, but it's too dark before I go to work, so now I run about 8 in the evening. I have music, I keep up with a lot of runners on twitter and I also have a blog that helps me with motivation and keeps me accountable. I have ran 2 5k races in the past 2 months. My first time was 40:52 (6 weeks ago) and I walked some of it, and just this past Saturday my 5k time was 33:03, never even let walking enter my mind! I killed my time and felt great. I found training programs on websites and followed it very strict. I push myself and never quit. Finding a local race and training for it is a great way to start. Now, I'm trying to get a team together (12 people) in my area and run a relay called capital to coast (Austin, Tx to Corpus Christi). I really hope I can do this, it's a total of 223 miles. I'm going to request you as a friend and I'm willing to answer any questions you have and will motive you anyway I can. If you have running questions, feel free to ask. But remember I'm still at the very beginning stages of being an intermediate runner.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Swimming, water running, aqua zumba, jump rope, zumba, skiing, skating, biking, step aerobics