Easy to make breakfast high in protein

Options
dvis334
dvis334 Posts: 125 Member
Hey, everyone! I just started tracking macros yesterday and I discovered that my protein intake is well below what it should be. Being a guy in my mid-20s, I'm not exactly a master chef. In fact, I'm pretty awful in the kitchen. I would love to hear from you if you have any "[high protein] Breakfast for Dummies" advice/recipes/ideas for me. Thank you!

Replies

• akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs! easy and you can make them the night before, as long as you can boil water (I hope your culinary skills go at least that far, lol) you will always have a good breakfast!
    Also, try overnight oats, there are lots of recipes online, and it's very little actual cooking/prep involved.
    Good luck!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I second the hard boiled eggs! I like to keep a bowl in the fridge to grab and go. I eat a lot of yogurt too. I buy plain and dress is up with nuts, dried fruit, and honey.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure how high of a protein count you want but this is what I've been making this week:

Overnight Oats
    40 g rolled oats
    70 g frozen raspberries
    70 g frozen blueberries
    .5 cup Fairlife 2% milk
    - Put the oats in a bowl. Put the berries on top. Pour the milk over top. The milk should be covering the dry oats. Stick it in the fridge overnight. In the morning take it out and eat it cold. You can use no fruit or other fruit (there are a bunch of recipe variations for this online) or add protein powder or a bit of sweetener if you'd like.
    - The recipe above is 280 cals / 14 g protein and takes about 3 minutes to put together.

I eat that plus 2 boiled eggs (140 cals / 12 g protein) plus another .75 cups of the same milk (90 cals / 9 g protein) in with my coffee. You can boil several eggs ahead of time and put them in the fridge to eat for a few days. (I suggest putting them in a sealed container so they don't stink up the fridge.)

Total = 510 cals / 35 g protein
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the website SkinnyTaste in general. These are two of my go-to breakfast recipes. You can make it over the weekend, and it could last you all/most of the week. It's also easy to substitute any other ingredients that you'd want. You could add some sausage/bacon to get even more protein.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/broccoli-and-cheese-mini-egg-omelets-2.html
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/caramelized-onion-red-pepper-and.html
  • dvis334
    Options
    _Mistah_J wrote: »
    Eggs and bacon. Even I can't screw that up.

Thanks, mistah! It seems like the unanimous decision for food high in protein is eggs. I'm going to be adding them as a staple to my breakfasts.
  • dvis334
    Options
    Boiled eggs are easy, just cook a dozen the night before! An egg is about 6g of protein and 80 calories. Scrambeled eggs on toast is easy and high protein as well!

What about Greek yogurt? I really enjoy the Chobani Flips, which are about 200 calories and 12 grams of protein. A yogurt and 2 eggs would be ~350 calories and 24 grams of protein. If you are tracking calories be sure to include any butter/oil if you fry or scramble the eggs :)

Thanks for the detailed response! I'm working with a caloric surplus to help me gain some lean muscle after cardio and strength training so im not too concerned about calories (as long as they fit my macros lol)

I'm definitely going to go with eggs as it seems everyone agreed its one of the easiest most protein packed food to make. Boiled eggs actually sound perfect. Greek yogurt is on my grocery list too now lol thanks =]
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Eggs and Greek yogurt here.

When I'm in college for the semester and working, i stay at my friend's house...can't use the microwave before i go to work, so i boil eggs, then grab 2 and a container of Greek yogurt and i am usually good for awhile.

I also eat leftovers for breakfast...I've been known to eat egg salad sandwiches on my way to work at 330 am....
  • dvis334
    Options
    akern1987 wrote: »
    hard boiled eggs! easy and you can make them the night before, as long as you can boil water (I hope your culinary skills go at least that far, lol) you will always have a good breakfast!
    Also, try overnight oats, there are lots of recipes online, and it's very little actual cooking/prep involved.
    Good luck!

I can, in fact, boil water...I think :p oats are always a part of my breakfast, but ill definitely have to look into different recipes that incorporate them into a meal. Thanks for the good luck wishes!
  • dvis334
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    I second the hard boiled eggs! I like to keep a bowl in the fridge to grab and go. I eat a lot of yogurt too. I buy plain and dress is up with nuts, dried fruit, and honey.

I never knew yogurt was such a great source of protein. And your idea of buying plain and adding fruits, nuts, and honey is something I'm definitely going to use. Thanks!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    dvis334 wrote: »

I never knew yogurt was such a great source of protein. And your idea of buying plain and adding fruits, nuts, and honey is something I'm definitely going to use. Thanks!

You can also mix protein powder in with your yogurt. It makes kind of a chocolate pudding. (I usually use either coconut or coffee flavored yogurt for this.)
  • dvis334
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm not sure how high of a protein count you want but this is what I've been making this week:

Overnight Oats
    40 g rolled oats
    70 g frozen raspberries
    70 g frozen blueberries
    .5 cup Fairlife 2% milk
    - Put the oats in a bowl. Put the berries on top. Pour the milk over top. The milk should be covering the dry oats. Stick it in the fridge overnight. In the morning take it out and eat it cold. You can use no fruit or other fruit (there are a bunch of recipe variations for this online) or add protein powder or a bit of sweetener if you'd like.
    - The recipe above is 280 cals / 14 g protein and takes about 3 minutes to put together.

I eat that plus 2 boiled eggs (140 cals / 12 g protein) plus another .75 cups of the same milk (90 cals / 9 g protein) in with my coffee. You can boil several eggs ahead of time and put them in the fridge to eat for a few days. (I suggest putting them in a sealed container so they don't stink up the fridge.)

Total = 510 cals / 35 g protein

Wow! This is perfect! Not only does that sound delicious but your instructions are easy to follow. There just may be hope for me yet lol ideal protein count would be around 300g/day. And ill definitely be using this to help me get there. Thank you! Can't wait to try this out
  • dvis334
    Options
    eganita wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the website SkinnyTaste in general. These are two of my go-to breakfast recipes. You can make it over the weekend, and it could last you all/most of the week. It's also easy to substitute any other ingredients that you'd want. You could add some sausage/bacon to get even more protein.

Nice! I'm going to bookmark these recipes. The mini omelettes sound delicious :}
  • dvis334
    Options

When I'm in college for the semester and working, i stay at my friend's house...can't use the microwave before i go to work, so i boil eggs, then grab 2 and a container of Greek yogurt and i am usually good for awhile.

I also eat leftovers for breakfast...I've been known to eat egg salad sandwiches on my way to work at 330 am....

Haha! I like your style. Not too sure about 3AM Egg salad sandwhiches. Maybe ill try them at 7AM :p lol
  • dvis334
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

You can also mix protein powder in with your yogurt. It makes kind of a chocolate pudding. (I usually use either coconut or coffee flavored yogurt for this.)

Another great idea. I have strawberry flavored protein shake that i use now. That would probably taste great with some coconut flavored yogurt.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    eganita wrote: »

Nice! I'm going to bookmark these recipes. The mini omelettes sound delicious :}

Cool!! I hope you'll enjoy it :) I've made both many times and find them pretty easy and tasty! Good luck with trying out some new recipes!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Eggs are pretty decent for protein but much higher in fat (63%F/2%C/34%P), bacon is even more skewed toward fat. Now, fat is a good thing, but it depends on what the rest of your diet looks like. If you are generally low in fat then go for it. If not, I suggest adding some lean meat like chicken, salmon, tuna etc to your scramble to keep it toward protein. You can also make casserole pans or cupcake tins full of these ahead of time and freeze them in single serving packs to save time. Greek yogurt, as mentioned is also a good option, but check the nutrition facts. There are some that are greek "style" and/or have a ton of added sugars and have twice as many carbs as protein.

Mostly I just don't eat a traditional breakfast. I either have a protein shake if I'm in a hurry, a sandwich, or leftovers.

Lastly, I wouldn't worry about one meal. If you like your oats for breakfast, thats fine! Add the protein to lunch, snacks, and dinner instead.

Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Even if you aren't a master chef, it's not a big deal to make a muffin tray of mini-omelettes on a lazy Sunday afternoon, then bag them for the freezer to use throughout the week. Boiling eggs, as you've noted, is super easy too.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Haha! I like your style. Not too sure about 3AM Egg salad sandwhiches. Maybe ill try them at 7AM :p lol

I'm a weird one, i freely grant that. My hair in my profile pic probably says it all :p
  • dvis334
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Eggs are pretty decent for protein but much higher in fat (63%F/2%C/34%P), bacon is even more skewed toward fat. Now, fat is a good thing, but it depends on what the rest of your diet looks like. If you are generally low in fat then go for it. If not, I suggest adding some lean meat like chicken, salmon, tuna etc to your scramble to keep it toward protein. You can also make casserole pans or cupcake tins full of these ahead of time and freeze them in single serving packs to save time. Greek yogurt, as mentioned is also a good option, but check the nutrition facts. There are some that are greek "style" and/or have a ton of added sugars and have twice as many carbs as protein.

Mostly I just don't eat a traditional breakfast. I either have a protein shake if I'm in a hurry, a sandwich, or leftovers.

Lastly, I wouldn't worry about one meal. If you like your oats for breakfast, thats fine! Add the protein to lunch, snacks, and dinner instead.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! Glad you mentioned fats because my intake was way above what it should be. My next post will be a question about how to prepare healthy sources of fats like salmon and tuna as you mentioned. Lol