Lifting weights when losing weight?

Options
I am 5'0" 130lbs and would like to lose ~25-30lbs over the next 4-7 months, however long it takes and maybe I'll stop early depending on how the mirror looks. After that I plan to start heavy lifting and gain some muscles. Right now I'm veryhigh% body fat. Should I even bother with lifting since I'll be in a deficit and don't really have muscles to spare? Could I just cardio my way down to skinny and lift after I lose the fat?

I am a classic case of "former collegiate athlete stopped doing sports and got fat very quickly" so I have cardio and lifting experience, but I've never had to lose weight before.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Don't wait. Lifting while losing will help you retain the muscle you do have and end up with a better physique than you'd have by cardioing your way down to skinny and then having to rebuild your muscle. Lift and eat enough protein (.8g/ pound of body weight is an easy goal though .64-.82/lb is what is generally shown to be a good minimum.)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Putting muscle back on after you've lost it is a lot harder and takes a lot longer than preserving what you currently have in the first place. Putting muscle on (bulking) involves eating at a surplus and you'll gain back some fat along with the muscle, which you'll then have to "cut" again. Lifting will help preserve what lean body mass you currently have as you lose the weight.