Eating 5-6 times a day? Metabolism Boost or not..

Options
Does this really boost metabolism? I read somewhere that the amount of cals to burn food is the proportionate to the number of cals eaten. MEANING -- If it takes (x) amount of calories to burn 1500 cals of food then its only going to use that specific (x) amount no matter whether you eat that 1500 cals in 6 meals or 1 meal! If that's the case then, why eat 5-6 meals a day? I think I read this on an Intermittent Fasting site!

I really want to find a way to boost my metabolism and speed it up. How can one know if they have a fast or slow metabolism? 31 M 255lbs

Replies

• skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't change anything. It's more of a mental thing. Most people who eat 5 to 6 smaller meals a day tend to stay more satisfied, and won't be as tempted to binge eat. It's all personal preference...eat when and how often as you want as long as you stay under your calorie limit.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Even if it did (which it doesn't), it's not significant enough to worth concerning yourself over.

In all likelihood you don't have a fast or slow metabolism (unless you know of a thyroid condition or other medical issue that may be affecting it). The vast majority of the world population falls within a relatively narrow range.

Boosting or speeding up your metabolism is mostly fad-diet woo-woo bunk.

Focus on consistently maintaining a calorie deficit. Get some exercise. Don't major in the minors.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Not
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Even if it did (which it doesn't), it's not significant enough to worth concerning yourself over.

In all likelihood you don't have a fast or slow metabolism (unless you know of a thyroid condition or other medical issue that may be affecting it). The vast majority of the world population falls within a relatively narrow range.

Boosting or speeding up your metabolism is mostly fad-diet woo-woo bunk.

Focus on consistently maintaining a calorie deficit. Get some exercise. Don't major in the minors.

Agreed.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Meal timing/frequency is completely irrelevant. Here's a good read on it, with links to actual studies: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/820577/meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It helps maintain your blood sugar level which staves off hunger.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nevermind.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It won't effect your metabolism in any meaningful way. The 6 small meals are usually recommended because it leaves you feeling satisfied. Personally, I prefer to have 2 awesome meals then a bunch of snack that leave me wanting more.

It's all about finding eating habits that work for you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no such thing as boosting your metabolism.

Find the eating pattern that works best for you.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you are actually preparing 5-6 meals daily and cleaning dishes for all those as opposed to just one meal, if nothing elese, you'll get a boost from the cooking and cleaning activities.

You can try for yourself one month eating 5-6 meals daily and one month eating just one meal a day, keeping everything constant in both cases (calories in/calories out) and figure out if one way of doing things works better for you
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Blood sugar maintenance is best done with macros rather than meal frequency. The last thing you want to do while trying to drop body fat is keep your insulin levels up.
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The only reason to eat smaller meals is because it doesn't expand your stomach as much as one large meal. An expanded stomach messes with your hungry/full signals and tends to cause overeating/binging. A smaller stomach helps to sustain a feeling of satiation.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    I am pretty sure if you are actually preparing 5-6 meals daily and cleaning dishes for all those as opposed to just one meal you get a boost from the cooking and cleaning activities

That would be burning more calories through physical activity though.

"Boosting metabolism" tends to be more of the (woo-woo) belief you can significantly raise your BMR (caloric burn your body creates just by daily functions like breathing, heart beating, etc) via various activities or supplements.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    The only reason to eat smaller meals is because it doesn't expand your stomach as much as one large meal. An expanded stomach messes with your hungry/full signals and tends to cause overeating/binging. A smaller stomach helps to sustain a feeling of satiation.

Your stomach permanently stretching/expanding is also a myth.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Any time you eat something you metabolic rate goes up because digestion burns calories. But seriously, if calories from digestion were enough to make any meaningful difference how did we get fat?

Drinking cold water boost metabolism. Eating spicy food boosts metabolism. If you drink cold water and eat spicy food 6 times a day you might save enough calories to have an extra kernel of popcorn each week.
  • AnvilHead
    edited January 2016
    Options

Amazing how pervasive the broscience is. There have been other myths stacked on top of the original myth in this thread alone.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference to metabolism of fat loss when calories are kept the same. The only thing it may do is help some people, not all people, comply to their calorie goals. In other words, so people do better eating few bigger meals, and others many smaller meals. That is completely up to personal preference.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Permanently, sure. But is it a myth that it can and will stretch if routinely pushed top it's limits?
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    It makes no difference to metabolism of fat loss when calories are kept the same. The only thing it may do is help some people, not all people, comply to their calorie goals. In other words, so people do better eating few bigger meals, and others many smaller meals. That is completely up to personal preference.

Exactly. Some people find that grazing on small meals all day long is better for their satiety. That doesn't work at all for me, I constantly feel hungry and deprived because every tiny meal is just like a tease. I'd rather eat 2-3 larger meals a day and feel full.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Not

Personal choice only