lose fat and gain or keep muscle

I am hoping this forum will help me find the right formula for losing necessary body fat and keeping and gaining muscle. I am 47 and have worked out regularly for over 20 years without the results I hoped to have. I work hard in the gym, eat well but something still is not right. I do like my chocolate and need to find the balance of nutrition that allows me to no longer buy into some fad. I have tried fasting, reduce calories, increase calories, no cardio, HIIT, P90x, Insanity, body building, etc. I feel I look okay for my age but for as hard as I work, I feel it should be better. I am willing to make the changes to best suit me. It's even about vanity so much, I fight my genetics for high cholesterol and want to know I am doing everything I can to make that better. I think I get the work out side although I am open to advise. I don't want to work any harder than I have to but will work as hard as I need. Its my diet that needs the most attention.

I will look around to see what others are doing. There's gotta be many just like me.

Replies

• tigerseven4
    tigerseven4 Posts: 10 Member
    I feel you. Been active all my life but just cant get cut! Im focusing on my nutrition and overall fitness.
  • speeno
    speeno Posts: 55 Member
    Hi Brent, GuitarJerry speaks the truth, calorie deficit, plenty of protein, train hard and stick with it, consistency and diet are key .
    I tried for years to get lean and never did, the reason I failed was because I was guessing what and how much to eat, finally I have achieved the best shape of my life at the age of 50 thanks to MFP, I'm not where I want to be yet but I know I can get there, just log everything and stick to it....it works.
    good luck.
  • StacyJanJ
    StacyJanJ Posts: 44 Member
    Welcome! I agree with the others about more protein, train hard, reasonable calorie deficit, and sticking with it, etc. In my opinion, a top quality protein shake is essential to supplement your nutrition if you want to see top results. I don't choose anything with fillers, soy, or artificial ingredients. My go-to is an all-natural New Zealand undenatured whey protein, with 36 grams of protein and a full BCAA profile for my post workout shake. Have one immediately after your weight training session, and then make sure to eat again an hour later (i.e. lean protein, veg and good fat). You need to feed your muscles properly after your workout so they repair. Working out tears the body down, and the right nutrition builds it back up. Excellent post-workout nutrition is key and timing is critical. JMO - good luck! You are in the right place!!
  • Abdul0125
    Abdul0125 Posts: 13 Member
    Brent, the struggle is real my friend. I'm 43 and seeking the illusive Six pack myself. Jerry is correct, I'm heavy on the protein while cutting calories. I have a routine I follow at the gym. Now comes the dedication and patience. Add me bro!
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,266 Member
    I'm with you brother! 38 years old and trying maintain and continue to improve my fitness level. The daily log is really helping me.

Good luck and keep digging until you get there. !