New Here

Options
countryspiritedwmn
countryspiritedwmn Posts: 35 Member
edited January 2016 in Introduce Yourself
My name is Lori and will be 46 in a few months. Mother of 6 with 4 adults out on their own, 1 grandson with 2 teenagers left at home and married going on 18 years in February. I am a Christian and work from home. I would like to become more active along with losing about 20/25 pounds and eat healthier. I am a home body and have no energy at all. I am worried of getting health problems in the future and want to be around for many years to come with future grandchildren and be around for my family. I have absolutely no idea where to start as there are so many programs out there. I was going to try weight watchers again as many years ago it worked. But it is way too expensive now and they no longer let you have a free account. I want to find one that includes breakfast shakes as I cannot eat in the morning. Would love to meet some new people who can give me advice and maybe just support one another in our journey. Anyone is welcome to add me :smiley:

Looking forward to become a healthier me :smiley:

Replies

• KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi Lori! You can add me if you like. I am a mom of 5 and pastor's wife. I would love to chat. :)
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi Lori, I am Robert very nice to meet you. I am 46 and I was probably in worse shape than you. I didn't realize how sluggish and tired I really was. I just knew I needed a change and fast. I am sure others will give you tons better advice but if you want a friend to go along in this journey I promise to cheer you on. I started drinking a protein shake in the am or at least something because I rarely ate before 9:00. A friend explained the liver needs a signal to change from sleep to processing mode and a shot of protein out of the gate was the key. Once I got rid of the poor food choices (heavy fats, loaded with sugar and fried garbage) I started really feeling amazing, it was probably 2 weeks into my journey. I think a lot of people give up right before this feeling (I know I did) I needed a structured plan so I went to the doctor and he basically said everything you will hear on this program. Calories in calories out. I dropped weight pretty radically and many say it is too fast. the doctor feels it is aggressive but I am not weak or loosing strength. I started with a bowflex and began working with pathetically low weights and few repetitions (5) from day one. I bought a recumbent bike from Wal-Mart and replaced my recliner with it. I taped the TV remote control to it and do at least 30 minutes a day. I am up to 3 sets of 12 repetitions at 3 times the weight I started with. I am 26 pounds down and honestly if I can do it anyone can. My doctor has me drink 8 ounces of water before any meal and a sip of water between bites, He also had me lay the fork down between bites and I am amazed at how this has made a difference. I am finishing a meal half the size of friends in the same time and feel great instead of the old bloated feeling. I followed his advice and hung carrots in the front of the refrigerator as a reminder to eat these first when I have those hunger pains between meals. Heartburn is gone and stomach issues are rare. Good luck on your journey.
    Rob
  • countryspiritedwmn
    Options
    Thank you both, I will you both. Thank you Robert, that is great advice. I found some recipes for protein shakes just wasn't sure where to start. Going to store to buy stuff for them. I am going to take your advice and start doing some of this, if not all. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I have to learn not to head for the bad snacks when I am hungry or bored. I can't wait to start feeling energy and good about myself again. I have to start with low exercises so I don't have a heart attack lol, will start with walking and some of your suggestions. :smiley:
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips to help you get started (yes, I copy/paste... it's good advice!):
      - Buy a food scale and use it religiously! You need to know exactly how much you're putting in your body. If you "guesstimate" you will be wrong 100% of the time. - Log everything you eat. Don't get in the mindset that you can only log sometimes. You need to have a history of what you eat to help you know what your triggers may be, know what you are lacking, etc. - Don't change everything all at once or you will just burn yourself out quickly. Make small changes and continue to add to it and a few weeks or months later you will be living the lifestyle you want. - Don't give up just because you go over. Make up for it during the week or just take it as a lesson and move on. Bumps in the road will happen, this is not a straight line - You are accountable for you. Everyone here can push you, but if you aren't honest with yourself, it won't matter what anyone else does. - PERSONALLY: Calories In vs Calories Out (CICO) is the way to lose weight. Anyone who says you HAVE to eat clean, low carb, keto, etc. are fooling you. While they may lose weight faster, it is not something you can normally stick with. Science has proven that CICO is how you lose or gain weight. So eat that pizza, eat that burger, don't force yourself to have salad every single day. Eat the way you want to live your life, just learn to do it in moderation.

Good luck to you and add me if you like (as well as anyone else)
  • countryspiritedwmn
    Options
    Thank you very much! I will add you. Thank you for all the advice, I will be following it. A lot of good advice. :smiley: