What vitamins should a woman be taking?

Options
cheree_1969
cheree_1969 Posts: 8 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am mid 40's woman and wondering what vitamins I should take? There is such an overwhelming vitamin aisle at the store! Or is a multivitamin enough? Thoughts?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Ones that your doctor has told you you are deficient in. Otherwise you are just creating very expensive urine.
  • AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My doctor said Vitamin D was the only one worth taking since you cannot get it from food. But, there are different opinions on vitamins....
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you could take a general multi vitamin if you wanted but i would avoid any specific supplements unless directed by your doctor due to a deficiency.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    My doctor said Vitamin D was the only one worth taking since you cannot get it from food. But, there are different opinions on vitamins....

Luckily the facts and science doesn't change based on opinions. And taking some vitamins in excess can actually hurt you.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    At one point my GP recommended a multi with D (they all have it). Since them, though, several epidemiological studies have shown no long term benefit. I take a multi but really cannot feel a difference. My doc also said it was really hard to predict a vitamin D deficiency without a blood test (i.e. people who golf in the sun every day are deficient whereas people inside at a desk all day aren't).
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I take Star Wars gummies :D
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I take a multi and a Calcium with D. My doctor tests my D levels every year, and they're OK, but both my husband and son are deficient, and they're taking extra strength prescription D. I might take the over the counter D if you live in a northern climate and calcium if you're menopausal and don;t drink dairy.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D is a safe bet.

Things marketed to women specifically tend to be more expensive than gender neutral items or the same thing marketed towards men. (Pink tax) For that reason alone, I personally would avoid anything marketed directly to women.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Deleted
  • plexusangel2016
    plexusangel2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I take plexus multivitamin called Xfactor it is a complete multivitamin with aloe :)

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    One a day women's in case I don't eat perfectly every day.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Definitely Vitamin D in northern climate.

I had no idea by Vitamin D was extremely low until I had a blood test. Always wonders why Winter was so troublesome for especially those dark days. Once I started taking Vitamin D, it like night and day, a cloud was lifted from my brain. Last winter was a breeze to live through.

I would get a blood test to ensure that you will be taking the correct dosage.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I also take D, and increase it in the winter months when I'm not outside as much. I also have crappy, acne-prone skin, so I take a supplement with biotin, vitamin A, and hyaluronic acid in it. Take what you need and if you don't know, get some blood work done.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I currently do not take any vitamins. I've heard that people in northern parts of the US may want to take D during the winter, but seeing as I am in South Florida I typically do not have to worry about Vit D deficiency. My doctor advised against me taking any vitamins or supplements except for iron, and even then only if I noted being sluggish or tired (which I haven't so I don't take it). She basically said what others here have said - unless you have a deficiency, then vitamins or other supplements are generally not needed. She also told me that taking a multi never hurt anyone, so that if I want to take once for peace of mind or to trick myself into thinking I was being healthy (my doctor is a bit snarky) then to go ahead.

In short, I'd talk to my doctor about it if I were you, particularly if you are due for a physical or something anyway. Maybe no need to make a special appointment unless you want to.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a reasonable diet and aren't deficient in anything, then you probably don't need to take a multivitamin.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Another who sees no harm in taking a general purpose multi. I also take D (SAD) and B12 (anemia) per my doctor's recommendation. I used to take high potency iron but no longer need it to keep my hemoglobin up. My Dr. looked at my calcium (thank you MFP reports) and I get enough between my multi and my dairy so I don't need to supplement.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Generally there shouldn't be any need for vitamins, unless you have been tested. As someone else pointed out, too much of some vitamins can be a problem. My doctor has done blood work on me several times and I have Vit D and Vit B deficiency. It has taken a ton of trial and error to get them worked out.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I take a plant-based multi-vitamin (Rainbow Light Women's One), calcium +D, and fish oil. Doctor likes this mix, and I can really tell when I am not taking the fish oil regularly.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I take a women's multivitamin and a Vitamin D (prescribed by doctor).

Women of childbearing age need to be VERY careful about their folic acid intake (you need enough!). Neural tube defects are set up by Folic Acid deficiencies in the first 10 days of pregnancy; before you have even missed a period. If you aren't drinking orange juice/eating oranges EVERY day a women's (yes, WOMEN'S) multivitamin provides crucial protection.

A generic one-daily women's vitamin is not expensive.

March of Dimes: Take Folic Acid Before Pregnancy

CDC - Folic Acid factsheet

Folic Acid Fact Sheet - Women's Health
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I would think especially if your calorie consumption was low enough that a multivitamin would be beneficial.