Alphabet challenge ( something different )

Options
stevew_68
stevew_68 Posts: 126 Member
I've had an idea for a challenge if you guys fancy trying it. TBH I'm not sure if I will manage it but would love to see you guys try it. I was trying to think of something a bit different for everyone.
The idea is this. Its nice and simple.
Each day of the month you have to walk ( or run ) to somewhere starting with the next letter of the alphabet. Starting with the letter 'A', then the next day'B', the next 'C' and so on and so on. Obviously you many struggle with X and Z etc, if so, you have to pick the letter which you walked or ran the furthest.
You can pick a street name, or shop, or town, or building, whichever you like. Your choice. Just push yourself a bit for the challenge but have fun.
At the end of the month I would love to see where you guys went ( and maybes a reason for that choice. A chance to learn about each other ) for each letter and if possible how far on each letter.
I hope you guys like the sound of this and if you decide to do it, I wish you all the best of luck.
As it will start on the 6th Jan, either start at 'F' or 'A'. You decide.

Replies

• shay77223
    shay77223 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in! I'm gonna start planning my alphabet walks today, I'll let you know what my 'A' is tomorrow:)
  • stevew_68
    Options
    Thanks Shay. Im pleased someone likes the idea. Its the first challenge Ive ever set up and I wasnt sure if it was a daft idea or not.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Interesting.. If I can come up with my "A" for today, I'm in. :)
  • amkillilea
    amkillilea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea!! It is freezing cold where I am, but I will give it a try :smile:
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Very cool. A might be my toughest letter. Haha. Maybe I'll walk to ABC liquor. Lol
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Very cool. A might be my toughest letter. Haha. Maybe I'll walk to ABC liquor. Lol
    Try Applebee's

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I just saw this and I already did my run this morning. I ran to the railroad tracks and back. But I did start and stop at my apartment complex. So my A will be Apartment! :-)

https://www.strava.com/activities/464299238

• Bwelton2016
    Bwelton2016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is a super great idea! I just moved to this place and it gives me some motivation to get out and explore the area!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I like this idea. The turn around point of my 4 mile out-and-back run over lunch just happened to be an amphitheater (on the river trails). So, there's my A for the day.
  • shay77223
    shay77223 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I walked to Adrian drive today, about a half hour walk there and back:) I haven't been able to work out for a few weeks cause of knee pain, but I think easy walks every day will help a lot, so this is a great idea. Also, in total so far I have taken 7,794 steps today! Not quite the 10,000 I aim for, but pretty close:)
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    This sounds really fun. Unfortunately it's freezing cold currently in my town. Maybe I'll make a list for when spring/warmer weather hits.
  • purpledoll173
    purpledoll173 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I walked from work to the A36 to catch my bus home, but then decided that was a bit of a rubbish start, so I went back out with the dog. We walked along the canal towpath until I saw a boat called 'Aelfwen'. Took me an hour there and back.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    It's hard for me to really do this with the proper intent because there are days where I have already set plans. Like today I had a group run. I can say that I started and stopped in the Bridge Street Center Mall. I can also say that I extended my route to go around the Barnes and Noble as well as Belk. Anyway. That is 3 B's. I think this is a great and interesting idea. And I do want to support those that don't normally get out to do something fun and interesting.

Anyway: here is my run from this morning: https://www.strava.com/activities/464993125
  • ceciliaslater
    Options
    Today, I did a 7 mile run over lunch, starting and ending at the BOK Tower (as usual), with a turnaround point at the entrance to the pedestrian bridge. B2B today. :smiley:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued ... I'm not sure I can do this every day because like some others, I have certain things I do on certain days, but maybe 2 days a week? Starting next week?
  • purpledoll173
    purpledoll173 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Out with friends last night so didn't have time for a proper walk, but we were meeting in the centre of town - which happen to be Bath. Afterward I had half an hour before my bus home, so walked out to Bathwick to catch it instead of waiting at the bus station.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    C = Casa Blanca (Mexican Restaurant)

https://www.strava.com/activities/465708477
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! However, I live in Chicago and am not trying to be outside in this weather that much. Might start this up in the spring though!
  • ceciliaslater
    Options
    I was scheduled to run 4 miles today, but stretched it to 4.5 to make my "C" work. My turnaround point was where Carson Ave intersects Riverside drive (technically, Carson intersects 19th, which intersects Riverside very shortly thereafter, but close enough). There also happened to be a flock of Canadian geese at my chosen turnaround point. I also noticed a cube-shaped metal statue/art piece nearby that I had completely ignored every other time I passed it by. Finally, at the head of Riverside drive, there is a small park honoring Route 66. Little did I know, that park is called the Cyrus Avery Centennial Plaza.

It's amazing the things you notice when you're looking for them...
  • stevew_68
    Options
    Start this whenever you feel right for yourselves and on as many days as you like. Doesnt have to be every day.
    I'm loving your enthusiasm and fun answers. Thanks guys for taking part.