are protein shakes/bars/chips etc processed foods?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    If not, why not? They are eaten out of a wrapper and goddess knows whats in them! If you are following the 'no food out of a box or can or wrapper' diet, then shun the protein bars too.

I am shunning chicken breast too unless I catch a chicken in the yard.

When I was a child...every spring we would buy some baby chicks to raise...they always came in a box. No baby chick was harmed...there were air holes.

I guess that made them processed.

We used to have chickens in our yard too and my mother plucked the feathers off, so yea processed.

organic would be less processed

You mean eat the bird with the feathers still attached. That would be uber organic.

I think you'd have a hard time taking a bite while the chicken is pecking your face, but hey, nothing beats fresh!

OP, I think if your intention is to go unprocessed, then yes the protein shakes and bars would be shunned. Is someone you know claiming to 'eat nothing processed' but then eating things you feel are processed? I'm just wondering why the question. It seems like you are trying to make a point, but being vague about it.

Never mind. I see you clarified your point. I don't personally believe that going completely unprocessed is very likely or sustainable. Most foods are processed in some manner or another.

Funny you say that, I have been pecked by chickens. I've scars to prove it. Chickens can be nasty critters.

And people make fun of my fear of chickens and their beady little eyes.

Do chickens have talons?

Yes they do. I have a scar on my leg from a mean rooster we had when I was a kid.

That's called the spur. Chickens don't technically have talons. They have claws and spurs.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If not, why not? They are eaten out of a wrapper and goddess knows whats in them! If you are following the 'no food out of a box or can or wrapper' diet, then shun the protein bars too.

When I was a child...every spring we would buy some baby chicks to raise...they always came in a box. No baby chick was harmed...there were air holes.

We used to have chickens in our yard too and my mother plucked the feathers off, so yea processed.

You mean eat the bird with the feathers still attached. That would be uber organic.

I think you'd have a hard time taking a bite while the chicken is pecking your face, but hey, nothing beats fresh!

OP, I think if your intention is to go unprocessed, then yes the protein shakes and bars would be shunned. Is someone you know claiming to 'eat nothing processed' but then eating things you feel are processed? I'm just wondering why the question. It seems like you are trying to make a point, but being vague about it.

Never mind. I see you clarified your point. I don't personally believe that going completely unprocessed is very likely or sustainable. Most foods are processed in some manner or another.

Funny you say that, I have been pecked by chickens. I've scars to prove it. Chickens can be nasty critters.

And people make fun of my fear of chickens and their beady little eyes.

Do chickens have talons?

Yes they do. I have a scar on my leg from a mean rooster we had when I was a kid.

That's called the spur. Chickens don't technically have talons. They have claws and spurs.
    Oh yeah that's right!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

When I was growing up we had a cat who definitely preferred the organic mice and birds and occasional snake to the processed cat food from the store. She insisted that she did not want to eat food from a package.

Subsequent cats were not permitted to leave the house.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    another thread gone to the usual way of the MFP by the following template:

- someone with real fitness experience asks a valid question
    - people who have no idea what anyone is talking about copy other posters they have seen on MFP by saying things like: eat whatever you want cuz look at me i eat everything and i am so sexy
    - they are sexy to their eyes only.
    - others join in to regurgitate what they saw on other thread to say, look at all the misinformation and look how ignorant this OP guy is albeit handsome
    - yet other join in with pics and gifs
    - yet others join in with 5-7-5 haiku which is less intellectual than the contemporary 3-5-3
    - some guy then hits on women and they all swoon
    - FRs are sent and Instagram and KIK exchanged

so predicatble MFP
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    There is not a single gif, instance of anyone being hit on, social media exchange or anyone calling anyone sexy. I have no idea what thread you're reading but it's not this one.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

- people who have no idea what anyone is talking about copy other posters they have seen on MFP by saying things like: eat whatever you want cuz look at me i eat everything and i am so sexy
    - others join in to regurgitate what they saw on other thread to say, look at all the misinformation and look how ignorant this OP guy is albeit handsome
    - yet others join in with 5-7-5 haiku which is less intellectual than the contemporary 3-5-3

so predicatble MFP

I missed the post about the OP being handsome, though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    9de.gif
  • glimmersilver
    glimmersilver Posts: 50 Member
    Options

so predicatble MFP

And then some guy decides it's a problem and he should scorn it. If you don't like it, why read and respond? I thought it was all pretty funny, myself. Humor is good.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

so predicatble MFP

And then some guy decides it's a problem and he should scorn it. If you don't like it, why read and respond? I thought it was all pretty funny, myself. Humor is good.

He's the OP....who began the thread by scorning those eating dirty, dirty protein bars.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Nah bro. Totally unprocessed. They are harvested from proteins bar birds that are found in South America...

:*
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Anything that's been through a process is processed.

If you buy your veggies prewashed, precut and in a bag they are processed.

Some things are more processed than others. A protein bar is heavily processed, a bag of spinach is not as processed but it's still processed.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    All these protein foods are a waste of money IMO. You are better off spending that money toward real food. I'd rather eat 3g of protein from a whole food than 12g from some sawdust looking powder. 99% of the people who buy these products can't even tell you how the protein got like that or where it came from. Even if it's veggie protein powder. There was a popular brand that had excessive heavy metals in their protein powder. This is what occurs when you the need the end result to be a fine powder; it gets heated over and over in large metal vats with many different solutions. This stuff comes with a risk.

It's not like there is some farmer sitting in a protein powder factory whose life mission is to make the planet healthier. These companies are in the business of maximizing profits. Do you trust them with your health?
  • ClubSilencio
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »

LOL. That is untrue.

What is the ingredient list in a bag of snap peas?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

LOL. That is untrue.

Snap beans ensconced in plastic cut to size and pre-washed. PROCESSED.
  • ClubSilencio
    Options

LOL. That is untrue.

Ingredients list: Snap peas

It's a whole food, not a processed food.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2016
    Options
    someone with real fitness experience asks a valid question

I don't believe a genuine question was asked. Surely you know that protein bars are processed. You even ended by telling people on a possibly non-existent diet not to eat them.
    people who have no idea what anyone is talking about copy other posters they have seen on MFP by saying things like: eat whatever you want cuz look at me i eat everything and i am so sexy

Didn't see this (or any of the rest). Are you sure you weren't accidently looking at ChitChat? Here we were talking about chickens, and chickens are not sexy. Especially not when you remove the feathers. (Well, sometimes when they are roasted just right.)

If you have a genuine question for discussion, please ask it. Otherwise let's all just agree that protein bars (and plenty of other perfectly healthful foods) are processed.

Then we can all join hands and sing, ideally not about buying the world a Coke.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    All these protein foods are a waste of money IMO. You are better off spending that money toward real food. I'd rather eat 3g of protein from a whole food than 12g from some sawdust looking powder. 99% of the people who buy these products can't even tell you how the protein got like that or where it came from. Even if it's veggie protein powder. There was a popular brand that had excessive heavy metals in their protein powder. This is what occurs when you the need the end result to be a fine powder; it gets heated over and over in large metal vats with many different solutions. This stuff comes with a risk.

It's not like there is some farmer sitting in a protein powder factory whose life mission is to make the planet healthier. These companies are in the business of maximizing profits. Do you trust them with your health?

thank you. this was what i was thinking when i posted the OP
  • lemurcat12
    Options

LOL. That is untrue.

Yep, and as a fan of bagged greens -- in this case processed=convenient.

Also, as someone who lives in a city and is not permitted by the zoning laws to raise animals for slaughter (even if I otherwise had the space or wanted to), chickens purchased in wrapped and processed form from a local farm, no feathers, ready to be seasoned and cooked=processed and convenient again.

Processing also makes a lot more vegetables available in January where I live, and that's another plus.

It also makes salmon available to me, including wild caught salmon.

Ah, that terrible, awful, no-good, unhealthful processing!
  • HildieMe
    HildieMe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Normlnv, actually, your point is well taken. I lost quite a bit of weight with a high protein/low carb, low fat diet. I ate no highly processed food (you know, the stuff that comes in a colorful box or wrapper with a list of your ingredients printed in 1-point letters to fit it all on the label). Except, to get the two extra protein snacks in, I used whey and soy protein isolates, aka shakes. After five weeks of that, both my hubby and I broke out in a rash. We both had developed an allergy - and my hubby already had gone into anaphylactic shock twice in his life, so there is no fooling around with that.

That "don't eat anything that comes in a box" is a very good general guideline. But because some jokers take it the wrong way, maybe we should look more at the ingredients list: If it has more than, say, three ingredients, don't eat it. That would exclude most cereals and potato chips, but also trail mixes and granola bars. That's a good thing, because by sticking nuts and raisins together they also make them four times as expensive.

Can we agree that we want to go for "minimally processed"? So, shelled almonds and walnuts = ok; salted caramel fruit and nut bars - not ok? Grilled, frozen chicken breast strips - ok; chopped, formed, breaded and fried chicken nuggets - not ok?

We have a friend who likes to fish. He shares his catch with us, and we are so grateful he cleans and freezes the fish before we get them. Processed? Yes. Ingredients? Pure fish. Now that's protein I can have!
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    "Processed" literally means something that has been through a process. Prewashed, bagged veggies have been through several processes - mechanized harvesting, sorting, quality control, washing and bagging. It's minimal processing but it's still processing. If you want totally unprocessed vegetables then you're going to need to grow them yourself or buy them from a farm stand.

What people seem to be missing is that processed =/= bad.