Fat Metaboliser Tabs

Options
Well my sister gave me pretty much a full bottle of Holland and Barrett Fat Metaboliser tablets. She said her boyfriend tried them first and didnt think they worked (he never changed his diet or started to exercise, he eats like a pig) and she tried them herself but gave up after maybe 4-5 days.
This is not the sort of thing I would normally even look at but since was free I thought meh why not try them ! I read the ingredients but (im not really sure what I should be looking for) there seems to be a lot of junk in them, stabilizers, bulking agents. What do you all think? Has anyone on here used them along with diet and exercise and got better results ?

Replies

• cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have never used them (or heard of them) but looking at the ingredients there doesn't seem to be anything really harmful in them (as long as you are an otherwise healthy individual). That being said, most of the "active" ingredients are unproven "fad" fat loss ingredients. Here is a breakdown:

- Vitamin B6: It is involved to some degree with lipid metabolism, but there is no evidence that getting more of it will increase fat breakdown, you are probably getting enough through a balanced diet. It may have benefits, but will not likely help significantly with fat loss
    - Chromium: Probably not useful at all, in fact, there is some debate as to whether mammals even need Chromium. Chromium deficiency is very rare. In addition, very little ingested Chromium is absorbed by the body.
    - Cayenne Pepper: I'm assuming this one comes from that crazy cayenne pepper detox diet. It definitely has some herbal and medicinal properties, but I have not really seen any evidence that it promotes weight loss. The weight loss from the detox diet comes generally from the fact that you are eating very few calories. One benefit: it does aid in digestion and possibly nutrient absorption.
    - Green Tea Extract: Mostly antioxidants. It probably won't help with weight loss. It also, depending on the extract, may contain a lot of caffeine.
    - L-Carnitine Tartrate: There is only debatable evidence that L-Carnitine aids in mild weight loss. However, it may help with energy levels during exercise. It may also have some mental health benefits. However, Acetyl-l-carnitine is more easily absorbed.
    - Kola Nut: It has caffeine. I don't know of any special weight loss benefit beyond that.
    - Uva Ursi: It's a mild diuretic. It might help you lose water weight but not likely fat.

Most of my knowledge comes from the chemistry side, so I can't guarantee my medical advice (a.k.a. I'm not a doctor). There are studies that show these ingredients may help with weight loss and well as those that say they don't, so there is not a ton of evidence for any of them one way or the other. If you are healthy and really want to give it a try, none of the ingredients looks to be harmful, but again, they don't look to be very helpful either.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If it sounds to good to be true ....................
  • lakishamcquany
    lakishamcquany Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take them, but then I take a lot of things...

Everyone is different so things might work for you and not for me and vice versa etc.. give them a try is all I can suggest!?
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies everyone :) and cdjs77 thanks for the breakdown on ingredients really useful to know !! Think il give them a blast and use up the bottle id say there is around 80 and iv to take two a day so wont be at them for that long anyway :)