Thoughts on Jillian Michaels..? Do you have/love any books or dvd's by her..?

Options
MSH2930
MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am thinking about getting one of her 'diet' books, and reviews on amazon can be mixed. Curious what MFP'ers think of some of her books and dvd's and if you feel her type of training is safe. As with so many things, to each their own, but some of her workouts seem dangerous to me, even when watching 'form'. Maybe I just need to get more fit..?-before taking the plunge with her DVD's..? After all, everyone can have limitations and excel at many things, regardless of starting point or current situation.

But I might get a book from her nonetheless and I already got a couple of her DVD's for Christmas (So far I am pretty intimidated by them!!)

I am just getting back into fitness after years of being sedentary, so I have quite a bit to lose!! My core is strong, always has been, even though a surgery and subsequent complications over 6 years ago really took a toll on me. Yeah, wah wah wah... ;)

But please share your thoughts on her techniques and all, again, no hard feelings if opinions differ!!
Thanks so much for any and all thoughts/advice!!

Replies

• hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Book, absolutely not. What good is it? There isn't anything in there that can teach you more than you can learn for free online (or heck, at a library). DVDs however, sure. I hate her personality but her workouts are good.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I have a love / hate relationship with her. I don't understand how some people can do 1 DVD for 30 days straight! I prefer Bob more though.
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've done level 1 & 2 of the 30 day shred. It totally kicked my *kitten* and was awesome. Easy to follow steps, but really challenges you.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    I often wish MFP had like buttons for replies!!! Thanks all!!!:D
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've never read any of her books.
    I have the 30 Day Shred and Body Revolution. Several years ago I got to level 2 of 30 Day Shred. I did the first phase of Body Revolution but I've not done the rest of the program. They sit on the shelf gathering dust because I let my fitness level go down too much to jump back into them today.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    No
  • MSH2930
    Options
    She has a diet book or two out there, with meal plans, etc..that is what I was referring to by her books..
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    JM's workouts are great! I started with 3DS a 260lbs and LOVED all three levels. Since then, i have done every other of JMs DVD except the killer arms and back. They definitely kick your butt.

Diet wise, just stick to myfitnesspal...
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Loved 30 ds as a beginner and would recommend it to anyone starting out at home. Also really like body revolution, its not as repetative (days alternate and switch out completely every two weeks) and it is as difficult as you make it. I always get great results when I go back to it after a few months away doing something else.
  • tasch79
    tasch79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Level 2 of 30DS and I'm really enjoying it. Hell of a workout in 20 minutes and my arms are like jelly after. Feels awesome.
    I wouldn't bother with the books.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'd say start with beginner shred it's easy on the joints and low impact and a way to work up your fitness level. You do it for 10 days per level. I'm on it now. I've done her burn fat boost metabolism which is killer. I have not read her books but see them at the book store. I'd like to do 30 DS after I complete my beginner then do body revolution and then body shred eventually. There are modifications for everything you just have to know what they are bc some videos she will not tell you. The only one I heard was truly not safe is the kettle bell one or shred it with weights bc the form is improper or something.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I agree with others: do the DVDs and use MFP to track your diet. I don't know anyone who appreciates the books.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest starting out with the beginner shred if you haven't done it before. I was massively unfit when I started and couldn't even finish level 1 the first time - and that was the beginner shred! I can only imagine how it would have gone if I'd jumped straight into the 30 Day Shred!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    30ds more than once, she's annoying and terrible, but once you learn the video, sound down, music up. She's better than the guy who does t25, he's an awful instructor, all he does is say, "you got it" you good? you doing it?" much rather have less rah rah, and more specific instructions, counting it out or talking about form.
  • MSH2930
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks all, great replies and info and suggestions!!! :)
  • mil_arce
    mil_arce Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've done the 30 day shred videos and loved them (youtube has them
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of buying her books other than maybe for recipe ideas. She won't teach you anything you can't learn via google or MFP.

However, I like her workout DVDs. In particular, I LOVE her Body Revolution program - best workout DVD I've ever done. It's 12 weeks, and every two weeks you advance to more difficult workouts. So it starts out at a beginner level and gets much harder over time. The summer I did it I was in the best shape of my life!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Before investing check out the site below (21 day challenge) it has the shred videos and the diet menu plus recipes for Ripped in 30.

Cheers, h

http://www.the21daychallenge.com/jillian-michaels-30-day-shred
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've never read her books, but I've done (and completed) 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, and Body Revolution. Heck, I still pull out No More Trouble Zones and Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism if I'm travelling and don't have access to a gym.

I don't use her DVDs as much anymore (I've now moved on to lifting and other activities), but I absolutely credit them with getting me into fitness after spending all my life as a sedentary person.

If I had to recommend one, I think I'd go with Body Revolution. A lot of folks start off with 30DS (I did), but I think Body Revolution eases you into circuit training a bit more gently (when I started 30DS, I was so unfit that I gave up after 12 minutes the first day), it goes on longer, and the workouts are a lot less tedious because you cycle through different videos rather than using the same one over and over until the next level.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Don't do any of her kettlebell workouts. Her form is horrendous