loosing but loosing motivation. :)

Options
gracikle
gracikle Posts: 10 Member
its taken me AGES to get used to this app and now i seem obsessed with it. not even a spoon of soysauce gets past me :)

progres is slow but at least its there.

i struggled with my natural instincts to not eat my exercise calories.

the desire to exercise and store calories like a hording hamster was a REAL struggle to get over. i understand with my rational brain the logics of a starvation shut down. but i still feel like - i've saved xxxxx caloires so i must be getting thinner.

i KNOW it doesn't work that way as its net calories that count - but i also think that the calories bured seems realy high?
an hour of zumba over 500 calories? its a Zumba cardio burn dvd- some of the calories i get from entering my exercises just seem really high which makes me cautious about eating them back as it seems too many.

is there any way to sanity check the number of calories i'm being given for exercising? it might make me less cautious if i knew it was accurate.

i used to stick to a slimming world diet but the weight simply wasn't coming off once i got to 11stone. my 'ideal' is 9.7 stone but i expect that will be a real struggle. currently getting to 10 stone is the aim. i feel a little demotivated and wondered if anyone wanted to sort of share low calorie snacks, quick tips for burning etc.

anyone else looking for a bit of company on this weight loss path?
i feel like i'm plodding, lost perspective a bit and struggling to feel the happy with my 1lb loss.

G xx

Replies

• cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

I use this site if I'm unsure. It balances the calories burned using the weight you put in.
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    MFP's 'calories burned' estimates are probably wrong. If you get a HRM, you'll get a much more accurate estimate. I would suggest only eating back half of the calories MFP says you've burned. Good luck xx
  • gypsy_nurse
    gypsy_nurse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Welome!

I know what you mean. When I first started reading these forums, I thought the calories burned seemed really high. After doing some more research I realized that it definitely is possible to burn these many calories depending on your weight. I invested in a Polar FT7 HRM. You can't even imagine how shocked I was when my calories burned showed up at almost 880 for the hour long class. It definitely made me sweat like bullets! So if you do not have one, I would definitely suggest you try a HRM. I really like the Polar brand ones.

Good luck on this journey! Don't lose motivation so early! But I understand how it can happen. It doesn't take long to gain the weight but it sure as heck takes FOREVER to lose it! :(

Feel free to add me if you'd like!

Kate
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I reduce the amount of time I put in for the exercise if I feel it's too much. Lots of people have a heart rate monitor which apparently tracks your calories burnt more accurately.

I am not losing much weight, but lately I have not been paying enough attention to what I eat. If I stick to the MFP goal, I usually lose consistently 1-3lb per week. 1lb a week is great and safe to lose although it may seem slow. Just keep going
  • gracikle
    gracikle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    where do you get an accurace (and what is) MFP goal? :)
    i get 1200 calories but always do about an hour of fast dog walking a day and then wnat to do more exersice but hold back as i seem to end up with the idea that i'm goign to have to eat a massive plate of food at 10pm :)

• Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit suspicious of the calories burned! At Easter I spent the whole day in the garden and according to MFP burnt more calories than my daily allowance, so more than doubled what I was allowed! So I sat and shovelled a whole Easter Egg down in one sitting (like I used to do). :sick:

I just assume I've bought myself *some* calories back, and use the extra for treats rather than big meals but don't bother making it balance. An hour or two gardening allows me to have a glass or two or wine in the evening, for example :devil: . Or a pizza instead of salad or veg. But I'm cautious of slipping back into bad habits! So that website with the Calorie Burn Calculator will be useful thanks cybersheel!

Anyway, don't give up! I found my weight got stuck a couple of times. I don't lose it at the same rate all the time - the first stone dropped off easily, then I got stuck for ages, but kept going because I thought "at least I'm not putting it back on". Then the next half a stone came off a little more slowly, then the next half a stone seems to have gone quicker.

*Not putting it back on* keeps me going - I've lost over 2 stone and feel wonderful, and although I'm still in the overweight band on the charts, and need to lose another stone, I feel so fantastic that if I never lose another lb, I'll be content. Then suddenly another lb or two disappears and I feel motivated again. :smile:
  • aquamarinex
    aquamarinex Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Only just started but as my plan is to reasonable amount of weight I know I will also need to stay motivated and get kicked now and again and am happy to do the same to you. My diary is open to my friends so will send you a friend request and maybe we can help each other :-)
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    What you could do is log the calorie bun (even though you think its on the high side) but only eat back 75% of them back. That way you're protecting yourself from potentially overeating your allowance but also giving you that mental amount of I've saved xxx calories.
    Just an idea
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel and it is tough but it really does work and 1lb a week is all good. All the time you are doing this just keep doing it!!

I re-started my weight loss campaign 10 weeks ago after a period of maintenance. I had previously lost 25lbs taking me from 12st to 10st 3lb but an injury and a general loss of focus meant that I had a couple of months off line and whilst I didn't gain, I didn't lose either.

In the last 10 weeks I have lost 10.5lb, a couple of weeks I lost nothing and a few I was a bit over the 1lb mark but my average has been pretty much spot on. This weight loss has taken me to 9st and 7lbs. I'm heading for my healthy BMI and, as I'm a real shorty at 4' 11", I'm looking to hit around 8st 12lb so a little way to go yet.

IT IS SLOW and painful and a pain in the a...e but I'm currently at the lowest weight I've been for years and I really believe, for the first time in a decade, that I might actually hit that goal. I'll be happy if it takes me till Christmas to lose that last 9 or 10lb and I understand that it might just take that long.

Why am I happy for it to be this slow..... because emerging from my flab is a body I never thought I would see again.... because I have a waist and my clothes look good on me....because I'm proud of what I've achieved and I KNOW that I can get there..... because all of the effort is soooooooooooooo worth it when I look in the mirror. I will be 40years old and beach fit. WOW!!

It will have taken me 2 years to do this and I will have fallen off the wagon a few times along the way but the rewards of taking that journey are just...well...amazing!!

So don't quit because it's slow, just keep chipping away and think about how happy that 9st 7lb you is gonna be!!