Salt beef or bacon - which is better?

Options
Does anyone know if salt beef is better or worse than bacon?

And more specifically, what do you think is lower calorie from the options below:

white bagel with salt beef, gerkins and mustard
white bagel with bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayonaise

The food database gives lots of different views on calories for them and i dont know the weights, they are just bagels from our sandwich delivery person and i want to start making better choices (so brie and bacon bagel and ham and cheese bagel are now off the menu as guessing the cheese makes them very bad!).

Any ideas? Thanks :-)

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Get them on a scale and weight them ? ask the sandwich person how much meat etc there is in them ? The mayo in the BLT might make it higher calorie, but "it depends".
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    No food is better or worse than any other, it is the total diet that makes it healthy or unhealthy.

About the sarnie you would really have to ask them. They should know the rough calorie count of them both.

Can you start to make your own at home to take with you? That would be more accurate.
  • Deeangelique
    Deeangelique Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i know long term its not ideal to have either, I was literally just wondering today which I should choose. I have asked before and they dont know. I was just wondering if anyone knew of salt beef was generally better or worse than bacon per portion (not by weight as id assume bacon is heavier than salt beef)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    there's no problem with either and the only answer to your question is to know the weight of each. Dissect sandwich, weight components, look up calories. Sorted.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i know long term its not ideal to have either, I was literally just wondering today which I should choose. I have asked before and they dont know. I was just wondering if anyone knew of salt beef was generally better or worse than bacon per portion (not by weight as id assume bacon is heavier than salt beef)

Long term it is fine to have either as long as you figure it in to your calories. Your only problem is guesstimating that amount of calories.
    I would ask to speak to the company owner/Manager about the calories as their margins would be worked out on the weight of the ingredients so they will know, either that or they'll go bust soon :D

We don't know the size of the portions so to try to answer that would just be plucking a number out of thin air.