Help - new garmin vivosmart HR user

Options
hi All
got my garmin yesterday. set it up with connect (android) & MFP. used it at a class yesterday and when I checked out the MFP last night it had recorded the following:
1. a weigh in yesterday even though my last weigh in was 2 days prior
2. a weight loss of 3lb, which was totally incorrect
3. 1000+ calorie burn, when my actual garmin showed 200+. it's as if it's recorded it multiple times

where have I gone wrong? my withing scales automatically sync my weight to MFP, does MFP auto sync this info to Garmin connect (GC)?

I did not manually enter my calorie burn in MFP so unsure why the duplication.

Also my garmin showed 200+ burn in a class I always burned 500+ (using a polar hrm) I was wearing it too lose for about 15 mins so that could possibly be the reason or could the accuracy be that different between the two?

confused new user

Replies

• adammiarka
    adammiarka Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When you sync the Withings data to MFP, it will also be pushed over to Garmin Connect. Withings -> MFP -> Garmin Connect should all have the same weight.

As for your spin class and calorie burn, that's a harder one. From reading the Garmin forums, it looks like the current software on the Vivosmart HR is geared more towards constant movement with your arms. The VSHR will read your heart rate data, but if you aren't moving your arms it doesn't seem to correctly calculate calorie burn. It's funny because all the commercials for the VSHR have the person doing all kinds of activities.
  • adammiarka
    adammiarka Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Should note that I have the same problem with calorie burn with my CrossFit classes. Because I'm not doing a consistent motion, calories vary greatly compared to a chest strap (TickrX).
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    When you say your Garmin, so you mean the calories in Garmin connect? Does it say 1000 calories in connect or is it a synching problem in mfp?
  • debsfran
    debsfran Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    adammiarka wrote: »
    As for your spin class and calorieThe VSHR will read your heart rate data, but if you aren't moving your arms it doesn't seem to correctly calculate calorie burn. It's funny because all the commercials for the VSHR have the person doing all kinds of activities.
    it was a clubbercise class which involves a lot of arm movement as you dance with glow sticks. so going by what you have said, i think it may not have registered properly for the time that it was on loosely
    When you say your Garmin, so you mean the calories in Garmin connect? Does it say 1000 calories in connect or is it a synching problem in mfp?
    Garmin connect says 214 calories but MFP had 2 entries - 214 for my class and then 800+ for steps
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Debsjeav wrote: »
    adammiarka wrote: »
    As for your spin class and calorieThe VSHR will read your heart rate data, but if you aren't moving your arms it doesn't seem to correctly calculate calorie burn. It's funny because all the commercials for the VSHR have the person doing all kinds of activities.
    it was a clubbercise class which involves a lot of arm movement as you dance with glow sticks. so going by what you have said, i think it may not have registered properly for the time that it was on loosely
    Garmin connect says 214 calories but MFP had 2 entries - 214 for my class and then 800+ for steps

Sounds like you may have had a synching problem. Someone else did mention duplication of calories for steps earlier this year. You can delete that second entry on MFP and it should stay corrected next time you sync. How many active calories in all did Garmin give you - 1014?
  • debsfran
    debsfran Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may have had a synching problem. Someone else did mention duplication of calories for steps earlier this year. You can delete that second entry on MFP and it should stay corrected next time you sync. How many active calories in all did Garmin give you - 1014?
    Thanks - it gave 1014 - i have now deleted the calories for steps