Increasing Weight vs Rep Range

Options
sdreed25
sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
I'm working on a program from a magazine, some compound lifts mixed in with some dumbbell work, the magazine says 8-10 reps and increase the weight by 2.5% upper body and 5% lower body, so 2.5% on say 2x10kg dumbbells is 20.5kg but there aren't 10.25kg dumbbells at my gym, next one is 12kg.

So my question is I'm fairly sure once I can do 3 sets of 10 with the 10kg, I won't be able to do 3 sets of 8 with the 12kg next time.... should I increase the rep range of the 10kg to say 12 or decrease the rep range of the 12kg as I'll get to 8 eventually (I could probably do 6 now)? It's almost like I need a clip-on 0.5kg for each dumbbell! I'm fine on the big compound lifts as the have 1.25kg plates and on the compounds that doesn't seem like much of a jump. *Note the dumbbell are fixed.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd go up in weight. You could always go up in reps to 15 for one week, then go up in weight as well. But I think adding weight is more important that adding reps, especially if your goal is strenth or mass.
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options

So my question is I'm fairly sure once I can do 3 sets of 10 with the 10kg, I won't be able to do 3 sets of 8 with the 12kg next time....

How do you know???

If you think you can squeeze out 6 on the 12s i say go for it. you might surprise yourself and hit the 8. If you fail try again next time. you would be surprised what you actually can lift.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I would just increase the weight, and see how you get on.

Even if you don't hit 8, if you can keep progressing on the heavier weight until you hit 10 again, then you can move up again. I think most gyms dumbbells increase by either 1 or 2kg once you get past the really tiny ones, so you're just going to have to make do.

That said, I find it odd that the increase is in % terms, as I don't see the jumps getting bigger as you get stronger working at the higher levels. The jump from a 200kg squat to a 210kg squat is pretty significant, and a lot harder than from 50kg to 52.5kg. I get that most won't take the squats that far, just puzzled by the concept of bigger increases as the weight gets bigger.
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The weights are in your head. Don't over think it.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with chest presses using dumbbells. With the lower weight, I do a full press, then a quarter press - count this as 1 continue on. When I can do the full set with the lower weight adding in the quarter press, I'm generally ready to go up. Mine jump from 10kg to 12.5kg.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would just increase the weight, and see how you get on.

Even if you don't hit 8, if you can keep progressing on the heavier weight until you hit 10 again, then you can move up again. I think most gyms dumbbells increase by either 1 or 2kg once you get past the really tiny ones, so you're just going to have to make do.

That said, I find it odd that the increase is in % terms, as I don't see the jumps getting bigger as you get stronger working at the higher levels. The jump from a 200kg squat to a 210kg squat is pretty significant, and a lot harder than from 50kg to 52.5kg. I get that most won't take the squats that far, just puzzled by the concept of bigger increases as the weight gets bigger.

Yeah I agree on the % point, I was wondering if it was a mistake and more likely 2.5kg and 5kg like StrongLifts concept, either way not great for the dumbbells.

Great advice from everyone so I'm going to try the next weight for each exercise, if I fail miserably I'll drop the weight down and carry on with a few extra reps, find of like drop sets concept.....