LIFT! 'Cause I see crepey skin...

Options
IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
After a 67 lb loss I noticed the beginnings of some loose skin today and I'm worried. Not enough to stop losing weight (29lbs to go) but enough to wonder if I can lift to keep up with my losses in time. I'm pretty worried. I've been big and lost weight and never had this before. That was before kids though...Anyway,I decided to get serious about lifting consistently and to do as many multiple sets as possible. I was doing sporadic light lifting with minimal progression as an aside. But that little bit of lose skin has scared me into getting into lifting more seriously.

I want to head off as much loose skin as possible with muscle. I have dumbells up to 45 lbs. I'm currently using 5-10 lb weights and now hope to progress by 5 lb increments weekly. I do deadlifts with dumbells. I would like to have a bar, but kiddos and no room, etc. makes it feel unsafe. I can hide my dumbells on the dumbell tree in my small closet.
My issues are, I have a slippy knee and tight hip flexors (I stretch for it). I would love to know what you would recommend for a full body workout in this situation. I looked into Strong lifts 5x5, and NROL, (which look great!) but I feel like I should do more and I don't have a gym membership. (as much as that would rock.)

I was doing these sporadically but thought I should maybe do 2-3 rounds of each? Every other day at least. Am I overeating?

Squats- Sumo, Goblets, Prisoner - 30 ea. can't do a$s to grass because of my knees...
Kettle ball swing- 30
Lumberjacks - 30-40
Halos- 30
Wrist curls - 20
chest fly- 30
chest press- 30
shoulder press- 30
Lat raises- 20
Lat backs? 20
Shrugs-30
Bent over rows-20
Curls- 30
Tricep dips-10
Heels lifts In- 30
Heel lifts out- 30
Heel Lifts reg- 30
Wall pushups- 30
Twists- 50
Kick Backs- 40 (20 per side)
Foot Sweeps-40 20 per side
Deadlifts - 20
Hip Abduction- 20 per side
Thigh Glider -10 (I haven't used my glider since my knee slipped out in November.)

I go easy on squats sometimes depending on my knees and is the reason I don't do lunges. They really hurt. ( I do have a brace.) So if there are any suggestions about strengthening that area, please share them. My kiddos workout with me sometimes, but mostly I don't have a lot of personal time. Hence when I do these, I do them all at once and as quickly as possible...

I also have an elliptical and a recumbent bike, balance boards, medicine ball -10 lbs, twist board, and some bands and a 10 lb plate to work with if that helps.

I have gotten great advice on a similar routine, but my goals have changed and I would love some feedback.
I should also add that I am 5ft 7 1/2, female, 208lbs with a cal. goal of 1540 with a macro goal set at zone- 40-30-30% 159 carb-119 protein - 53 fat. Which I am still working with as I just started it.
To reiterate, my goal is to fill up the space where I see the beginnings of loose skin, with muscle. Keep the muscle I have while working on enough gains in a deficit as I can,( if I can )to head off any further loose skin.
Thanks for reading. Your views, advise, opinions etc. are valued and appreciated.

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    I completed my first day and feel great! I even added a tiny bit of isometrics (TA) and gave myself a bonus couple of exercises- weighted twists and weighted side bends. I only did one round of the before mentioned routine but I'm aiming to work up to 2-3 sets by the end of the month. I worked with mostly 10 lb weights, 5's for the muscles I was too weak to do more with...
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    There is little reason to do more than SL5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for a beginner (or another similar beginner program). You hit pretty much every single muscle in your body with those routines. I think when people complain about SL5x5 the top items to add are calf raises, dips, and pull ups. But even then, all of those muscles are hit by the exercises in SL5x5. This isn't to say that the routine is perfect, but that it is a full body workout.

Also, if you are doing 15-20 reps or more on an exercise you aren't really building strength, but muscle endurance. Which is great if that is what you are after, but if you are after strength or muscle size you should reduce the reps and increase the weights.

As for lose skin, lifting weights will not guarantee no lose skin. There is only one solution that guarantees no lose skin, and that is surgery. Not saying don't lift, but if you don't get the results you were hoping for it may be because you were expecting the wrong things from it. I lift to get strong and have well developed muscles, if it helps my skin, awesome, if it doesn't, oh well.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    With a list that long you will be killing yourself, especially if you increase weights -- check out StrongLifts 5x5 and read some of the resources he has on the web site about why you only need a few good, targeted exercises but you need to lift with increasing weight to progress -- things will begin to tighten up as you lift progressively heavier weight along with eating a good diet....
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    From what I understand, SL and NROL require barbells. I only have dumbells. It looks awesome, I just can't do that set up right now. Unless I missed something, then please tell me.

So just do as heavy as possible to failure? I'm so hard on myself, it sounds too good to be true. If it's that easy, I'm going to have a lot of fun. So, I should do like 10 reps all out?

I'm just rolling dice that muscles will help the appearance and maybe reduce the look I'll get of saggy skin at the end of my weight loss phase. You're spot on. I hope it does help, if not, it's alright because I do love being strong and it's been a while since I was at my peak. This "scare" just got my but in gear to what I was going to do 29 ish lbs from now.

Thank you for your input!! :)
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    lol It IS a long list. I was looking at muscle anatomy and just throwing everything in my basket. I want to do that and that and that...

Progressive and heavy. Is there a routine like SL that can be done with barbells? I'll check out your recommendation for sure and look forward to any other replies...

Thank you for your help!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    "New Rules of Lifting" only has five exercises per workout. I think if you can get through all you listed in one workout you are working on endurance rather than strength. My library has NROL - maybe yours does too.

It took me a while to figure out NROL so I ended up buying his more recent book, Strong, which is more clearly laid out. That has 6 exercises per workout.

I have knee issues, tried a small amount of 8" step ups, hurt my knees, and am holding off on squats and lunges for now. I walk, hike, and do yoga. I had to build up really, really slowly, and am not sure how I can make the lower body part of the workouts work for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    From what I understand, SL and NROL require barbells. I only have dumbells. It looks awesome, I just can't do that set up right now. Unless I missed something, then please tell me.

So just do as heavy as possible to failure? I'm so hard on myself, it sounds too good to be true. If it's that easy, I'm going to have a lot of fun. So, I should do like 10 reps all out?

I'm just rolling dice that muscles will help the appearance and maybe reduce the look I'll get of saggy skin at the end of my weight loss phase. You're spot on. I hope it does help, if not, it's alright because I do love being strong and it's been a while since I was at my peak. This "scare" just got my but in gear to what I was going to do 29 ish lbs from now.

Thank you for your input!! :)

Strong (the newest NROL) has options for dumbbells for all the exercises in the early workouts. (I just got the book yesterday :))

I have barbells at my gym but have always liked dumbbells.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying you have to do those programs, I'm saying you don't really need to do more than what they are doing. That huge list of exercises isn't required.

You could do SL5x5 dumbbell version. You'll max out those 45lb dumbbells relatively fast on some lifts (DL specifically) though.

I'm not familiar with dumbbell programs, but there are beginner dumbbell programs out there. For example this program - https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/zc0uy/a_beginner_dumbbell_program_the_dumbbell_stopgap - uses full body movements, does 3x10, has progression and failure rules. It is similar to SL5x5, but is geared towards home exercises with only dumbbells. The squat/lung choice they have might be hard on your knee, so you could easily swap that out for a squat type that is easiest on your knee. You may want to talk to a physical therapist to find exercises that you can do to strengthen your knee so you can progress in standard squats, but it may take a lot of slow progression.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell routines:

* Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1267226191#post1267226191

* Full body dumbbell routine (note: women and men can use the same rep range, if you want to go low do it, if you want to go high do it. I promise that neither will make you gain or lose a Y chromosome.) - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    "New Rules of Lifting" only has five exercises per workout. I think if you can get through all you listed in one workout you are working on endurance rather than strength. My library has NROL - maybe yours does too.

It took me a while to figure out NROL so I ended up buying his more recent book, Strong, which is more clearly laid out. That has 6 exercises per workout.

I have knee issues, tried a small amount of 8" step ups, hurt my knees, and am holding off on squats and lunges for now. I walk, hike, and do yoga. I had to build up really, really slowly, and am not sure how I can make the lower body part of the workouts work for me.

What can you do with endurance strength?

I confuse easy and kinda checked out when I looked at it to be honest, but what I did understand looked awesome. Strong, I will check that out. I LOVE amazon!

Sorry you got hurt. I hope you can find something that works for you. I wish I could suggest something.

Thank you for the book advise, you are helpful. :)
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    I'm not saying you have to do those programs, I'm saying you don't really need to do more than what they are doing. That huge list of exercises isn't required.

You could do SL5x5 dumbbell version. You'll max out those 45lb dumbbells relatively fast on some lifts (DL specifically) though.

I'm not familiar with dumbbell programs, but there are beginner dumbbell programs out there. For example this program - https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/zc0uy/a_beginner_dumbbell_program_the_dumbbell_stopgap - uses full body movements, does 3x10, has progression and failure rules. It is similar to SL5x5, but is geared towards home exercises with only dumbbells. The squat/lung choice they have might be hard on your knee, so you could easily swap that out for a squat type that is easiest on your knee. You may want to talk to a physical therapist to find exercises that you can do to strengthen your knee so you can progress in standard squats, but it may take a lot of slow progression.

Sah-wheet! I'd like to see a therapist. I really would. Money and everything, grrr. I can't even dance anymore. My knee slips right out. I used to spend HOURS dancing, so that was a real blow....
    Squats are great, I don't mind too much if the progression is slow as long as I do something. It's better than nothing right? lol Thank you again. I'll be checking that link right after I look at Strong.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Dumbbell routines:

* Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1267226191#post1267226191

* Full body dumbbell routine (note: women and men can use the same rep range, if you want to go low do it, if you want to go high do it. I promise that neither will make you gain or lose a Y chromosome.) - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

NICE!!! Awesome, awesome! Can't wait to check it out. I've never been worried about being bulky/ manly. I love lifting more than anything, especially if it more than a guy can! I always volunteer to help people move etc. It just feels great. This is the first time I've really tried to get into a routine, learn form et all. Before, I kinda wandered around a machine here and there not knowing what to do. All my strength came from loading and unloading trucks everyday when I was younger. I've heard that it's easier to make progress if your muscle have been used before. Like, not starting from never having picked up anything before. Do you find that to be true?

Thank you for the dumbell routine links, I am anxious to check it out! Also, thanks for the encouragement. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Dumbbell routines:

NICE!!! Awesome, awesome! Can't wait to check it out. I've never been worried about being bulky/ manly. I love lifting more than anything, especially if it more than a guy can! I always volunteer to help people move etc. It just feels great. This is the first time I've really tried to get into a routine, learn form et all. Before, I kinda wandered around a machine here and there not knowing what to do. All my strength came from loading and unloading trucks everyday when I was younger. I've heard that it's easier to make progress if your muscle have been used before. Like, not starting from never having picked up anything before. Do you find that to be true?

Thank you for the dumbell routine links, I am anxious to check it out! Also, thanks for the encouragement. :)

People who have trained before do have fast results when they first get back to it but newbies have fast results too.