Free weights v machines

Options
This may be covered elsewhere, couldn't find much by searching though.

I use both machines + free weights. I've heard you can't bulk using machines. Is that true? I'm just starting my journey and want to get started on the right foot!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You can bulk using machines

They just tend to be not quite as good a method, as they usually isolate specific muscles and take the load off a lot of the complementary muscles you'd engage doing free weight compound lifts.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    free weights are superior

but if using machines gets you there it's better than nothing

free weights are more natural, involves your core and more muscles than a machine weight eg squat rack vs smith machine, I'd actually wait for the rack to come free

you bulk with adequate calories, protein and progressive training .. I'm sure you can do it on machines but free weights rule IMHO
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Machines are just fine...they do isolate a bit more but that's not a bad thing depending on your goals. You can absolutely gain lean muscle using machines (which is what I assume you mean by "bulk").
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I can say it is definitely possible to gain muscle using machines, as I have done that.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    What's lean muscle as opposed to muscle then?
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    jnimeskern wrote: »

I use both machines + free weights. I've heard you can't bulk using machines. Is that true? I'm just starting my journey and want to get started on the right foot!

As I've stated from a similar thread.

It's true that your program should ultimately use free weights as the underlying foundation, weight machines most definitely have their place as well. Both tools are useful in your overall program and serve their own unique functions.

Free weights can be used for a lot of your basic core movements such as squats, deadlifts, bench presses, rows, chins and overhead presses, while machines can help you perform movements that are more difficult (or impossible) to duplicate using standard free weights, such as pulldowns, leg presses, machine calf raises, pressdowns and other cable exercises.

You certainly don't NEED machines in order to get an effective and well rounded workout, but if you do have access to them then there are several machine exercises that are definitely worth utilizing.

When it all comes down to it, any exercises that places your muscles under tension and allows for progressive overload over time is going to produce muscle growth. So yes, machines are effective for building muscle.

Again, it doesn't have to be an issue of "free weights or machines", and your overall routine will contain a mixture of both. Don't make the error of thinking that free weights are somehow vastly superior to machines or that your routine should contain free weight exercises only, as both tools are useful in the overall picture.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    elite_nal wrote: »

It's true that your program should ultimately use free weights as the underlying foundation, weight machines most definitely have their place as well. Both tools are useful in your overall program and serve their own unique functions.

Free weights can be used for a lot of your basic core movements such as squats, deadlifts, bench presses, rows, chins and overhead presses, while machines can help you perform movements that are more difficult (or impossible) to duplicate using standard free weights, such as pulldowns, leg presses, machine calf raises, pressdowns and other cable exercises.

You certainly don't NEED machines in order to get an effective and well rounded workout, but if you do have access to them then there are several machine exercises that are definitely worth utilizing.

When it all comes down to it, any exercises that places your muscles under tension and allows for progressive overload over time is going to produce muscle growth. So yes, machines are effective for building muscle.

Again, it doesn't have to be an issue of "free weights or machines", and your overall routine will contain a mixture of both. Don't make the error of thinking that free weights are somehow vastly superior to machines or that your routine should contain free weight exercises only, as both tools are useful in the overall picture.

Nice post. Both can be effective. If you Google images of the weight rooms of pro and college teams you will notice they have more free weights than machines. Since these organizations have (for all intents and purposes) unlimited resources to equip the weight rooms you would expect them to use the most effective implements.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It's like everyone is saying machines will isolate muscles. For instance a back machine just works your back but a deadlifts works your back, legs and engages your core. Your workout plan should mostly be free weights if you're trying to bulk but I think including some machines isn't a bad idea to get a nice extra burn on a muscle.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Free weights train more muscles.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

This..

I would say that your routine should be built around compound movements (free weights) and then your accessory movements can be on some machines like lat pull down, cable row, etc.
  • elite_nal
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Nice post. Both can be effective. If you Google images of the weight rooms of pro and college teams you will notice they have more free weights than machines. Since these organizations have (for all intents and purposes) unlimited resources to equip the weight rooms you would expect them to use the most effective implements.

Also, the main reason why free weights are generally recommended over machines is because they allow you to move through a more natural range of motion. This forces you to recruit more stabilizer muscles and it also reduces your chances of injury since your body is not stuck on a fixed plane of movement.

While this certainly does have some application, it really depends on what type of machine movement you’re dealing with. For example, a smith machine does keep you on a fixed plane of movement, as does hammer strength equipment and certain other machines. However, there are plenty of other cable based machine movements that allow for plenty of freedom throughout the entire range of motion.

For example (as I've said earlier), lat pulldowns, tricep pushdowns and cable side laterals are all fantastic machine exercises that properly hit the targeted muscles while allowing you to move naturally.

In addition, there are plenty of effective machine movements that cannot be duplicated (at least not easily) using basic free weights. Leg presses, leg curls, certain calf movements, v-bar pulldowns, cable crossovers (using a high to low angle) and face pulls are just a few examples.

The bottom line here is that muscle growth is an adaptive response to stress as the muscles are placed under progressively greater levels of tension over time.

For that reason, ANY tool, whether it’s a barbell, dumbbell, cable or machine, will be an effective means of producing muscle hypertrophy.

If I was forced to choose one over the other, I would certainly choose free weights, but this hardly has any practical application to your program, and these types of bodybuilding issues are rarely ever black and white.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I like this thread *learning*
  • krispon3
    krispon3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    With Free weights, I always have fear of not doing right and getting injured in the back or other sensitive muscles.WIth machines, it is isolated ,targeted and more safe.

Am I right on this?
  • elite_nal
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

This..

I would say that your routine should be built around compound movements (free weights) and then your accessory movements can be on some machines like lat pull down, cable row, etc.

Yep, a mixture of both is usually best with freeweights making up the majority.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Free weights for sure IMO. A lot more compound exercises. Also more convenient as you can do multiple exercises with a single bar and weights
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    If you exercise using a machine, you use just the muscles needed for that individual move -- doing the same thing with free weights you will need to use more muscles to balance and control the weights that the machine is doing for you -- using free weights is therefore considered superior as if will build a group of muscles with each lift.
  • jnimeskern
    jnimeskern Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the info, everyone. I need to break free of my fear of "free weights"

My issue with free weights, is probably just lack of experience. Machines force me to do one obvious range of motion, do that many sets, and move on to the next.

Free weights, all I can think to do is curls, squats, shoulder rolls and benching. I know there are many others, but again lack of experience. Probably 75% machine, 25% weights time spent in the gym. Free weights seem to be "heavier" as well- and is probably because you have assistance in motion (straight up and down/ side to side)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    To me the single most important factor is the person rather than the equipment - I see good/bad/pointless routines using free weights/machines/bodyweight or a combination of all three.

I tend to see as much (if not more) isolation work with free weights!

A gem seen this week - single arm wrist curls with a dumbbell by a complete beginner.
    But then you also see a compound exercise machine (lat pull down for example) being abused too.

Any equipment is only as good (or bad) as the person using it.

• elite_nal
    Options
    Thanks for the info, everyone. I need to break free of my fear of "free weights"

My issue with free weights, is probably just lack of experience. Machines force me to do one obvious range of motion, do that many sets, and move on to the next.

Free weights, all I can think to do is curls, squats, shoulder rolls and benching. I know there are many others, but again lack of experience. Probably 75% machine, 25% weights time spent in the gym. Free weights seem to be "heavier" as well- and is probably because you have assistance in motion (straight up and down/ side to side)

Any machine that provides tension on the muscle and allows you to get stronger will lead to hypertrophy. Machines are a great tool but overall free weights can't be beat. Use a mixture of both.

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have *kitten* V02 levels so I can't get enough hypertrophy with just free weights like bench, squat, deadlift. I need machine work to hit that extra volume. Machines can be dangerous if you're not correctly adjusting it to your body. I found a lot of pressing machines can be taxing on shoulders if you're not setting it up correctly.

Machines are a good way to feel comfortable starting out, but transitioning to free weights will overall be more functional. I had surgery on my knees and my mobility only got better when I added more squatting over leg press.