What was raising your calories like?

Options
2»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have NO idea how I'm going to handle maintenance. I burn between 2,900-3,500 calories a day right now, and I'm eating at 1,900-2,000. The idea of even attempting to eat another 1,000 calories a day is just like....mind-blowing. Especially if I'm going to be eating healthy like I am now.

Am I supposed to eat 6 egg beaters for breakfast instead of 3?
    A half pound of chicken for lunch instead of a quarter-pound?
    A half pound of salmon for dinner instead of 5 ounces?

It's just crazy. I don't know how I'm going to do it. I'm actually scared to do it I have to admit.

No it's not. Drink some whole milk. Have a bowl of rice or a handful of nuts. Have some toast with peanut butter.

If it were hard to eat an extra 500-1000 calories, there wouldn't be so many overweight folks around.

One of those cinnamon bagels from Paneras is almost 600 calories!
  • amandapierce0515
    amandapierce0515 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, I believe I heard angels sing.

Awesome! I can't wait! I've got 36 lbs left to go before the angels sing!
  • andyphillips899
    andyphillips899 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I have NO idea how I'm going to handle maintenance. I burn between 2,900-3,500 calories a day right now, and I'm eating at 1,900-2,000. The idea of even attempting to eat another 1,000 calories a day is just like....mind-blowing. Especially if I'm going to be eating healthy like I am now.

It's just crazy. I don't know how I'm going to do it. I'm actually scared to do it I have to admit.
    @andyphillips899

You don't just eat protein do you?
    Eat whole eggs instead of egg beaters - sling some cheese in an omelette.
    Have some potato with your chicken.
    Have some rice with your salmon.

Definitely not JUST protein. But I am getting plenty of it. I suppose whole eggs is probably a good start :) And I have plenty of veg. Carbs I've been doing basically multigrain bread/rolls with breakfast & dinner.

I'm sure I can figure out how to get the calories up, it's just going to be....weird.
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    @andyphillips899 You aren't the only one that has this issue. I'm just hit my ultimate goal weight this last weekend. My calorie limit according to MFP (maintaining) is 2,000. On top of that, I'm getting around 1,500 - 2,000 calories extra from my fitbit (this is speed walking/jogging for about 2 hours) almost every day. I'm now eating (and eating, ...) around 2,500 calories a day. I'm also starting a modified re-comp this week (my doctor doesn't want me to lose any more/nor bulk up because of kidney issues).
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I nudged them up 200 calories a day (wanted to add muscle mass when I stalled at my lifting) and stopped weighing in for a month; weight went up exactly as predicted, but waist size stayed the same.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    So MFP says I should have about 1230 cals a day but I work out and burn anywhere from 250-700 cals a day. I'm trying so hard to eat 1400-1500 cals to adjust, or maybe I don't need to? I just don't want my body to go into starvation mode. I'm kind of confused myself :#
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    So MFP says I should have about 1230 cals a day but I work out and burn anywhere from 250-700 cals a day.

If your weight stays stable when you eat back all the calories MFP recommends, knock them down some. MFPs recommendations are just that - recommendations, and not Word of Law.
  • andyphillips899
    Options
    @andyphillips899 You aren't the only one that has this issue. I'm just hit my ultimate goal weight this last weekend. My calorie limit according to MFP (maintaining) is 2,000. On top of that, I'm getting around 1,500 - 2,000 calories extra from my fitbit (this is speed walking/jogging for about 2 hours) almost every day. I'm now eating (and eating, ...) around 2,500 calories a day. I'm also starting a modified re-comp this week (my doctor doesn't want me to lose any more/nor bulk up because of kidney issues).

Eating and eating and eating.

I suppose there are some swaps I could do that would help - as someone else said, regular eggs instead of egg beaters, regular peanut butter instead of the powdered lower fat/cal kind, actual ice cream for dessert.

It's just...weird. Like...really really weird. And scary, to think that I can eat "normally" for the first time.
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    @andyphillips899 Yep, I'll have to go out and get some bread. Haven't had bread in the house for months on end. I can finally eat a peanut butter (I do love peanut butter) and jelly sandwich. I'm kind of scared, too. But I know how to lose the weight, so it's not really that concerning.
  • andyphillips899
    Options
    @andyphillips899 Yep, I'll have to go out and get some bread. Haven't had bread in the house for months on end. I can finally eat a peanut butter (I do love peanut butter) and jelly sandwich. I'm kind of scared, too. But I know how to lose the weight, so it's not really that concerning.

I'm thinking real ice cream. Like Ben & Jerry's. Yummm.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in maint now.my calories are set to maintain...but I'm still at a deficit though a smaller one and have lost a couple pounds since hitting "goal". I think In part cause I want to lose more. And in part because I'm so afraid of going back to the old me. I can't bear the thought of that happening. I just have to keep it in my mind to keep running, if I run 3 days a week the 4-5 miles each I've worked up to and work on progressing in that then I won't gain. Still absolutely terrified.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'd been at 1200 since May, looking to lose a pound a week. Since 1200 is the least MFP will recommend for me, going to a half-pound a week only got me up to 1300. By November I was near the bottom of my 5-pound goal range, and I was heading out to see my brothers, so I put myself on maintenance. I'd listed my goal weight as 145 (the top of my goal range), and discovered after I got back from vacation that the 1750 MFP was suggesting was for a half-pound/week gain. My brother doesn't have a scale, at least not in the guest bathroom, or a cooking scale, and I had to guesstimate a lot of my eating (as in, guess which of the lamb stew calorie counts in MFP was probably the closest to my brother's, and how many cups I ate). But, when I got home, my scale showed me right in my goal range.

And I found the override to set my goal at maintenance. :)

My daily budget without exercise is now 1520 calories. Not a huge increase from 1300, but enough that I can have some Godiva or Lindt chocolate, as long as I keep it to a few truffles or a square or two.

When I found myself a half-pound below the bottom of my goal range at the end of December, I went back over my December diaries, discovered that I was 2500 calories below total budget for the month, and gave myself a 1000-calorie New Year's splurge. That let me make a cheesecake (I used Splenda instead of sugar, but the sucker used a pound of cream cheese).

Set my goal for a one-pound gain on New Year's Day and planned for two days at a half-pound gain, let myself eat 250 over my re-set goal on Jan. 2 (did I mention cheesecake?), so went back to maintenance after two days instead of three.

This morning's weight was 142, with my goal range 140 to 150.

• Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@andyphillips899

You don't just eat protein do you?
    Eat whole eggs instead of egg beaters - sling some cheese in an omelette.
    Have some potato with your chicken.
    Have some rice with your salmon.

I was eating all that stuff while looseing, for me it is just eating more of the same.