What dish is your "all or nothing" dish?

Options
aquarabbit
aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
Ever since my husband and I started our healthier lifestyle, I've been finding ways to recreate our favorite foods with less calories and more nutrients. Some of my favorite things I've found is yogurt as a sour cream, heavy cream, and cream cheese substitute in cooking, using different types of flours, and of course, making things from scratch. However there is one thing that I cannot bring myself to make any other way than the way I know. Beef Stroganoff! I've tried lighter versions, but the only way I can eat it and feel satisfied is to make it like my grandma does! I'm sure there's some psychological or nostalgic reason for it, but it is the one dish that I go all out on. Thick homemade egg noddles, the creamiest sour cream I can find, brown the beef and mushrooms in full fat butter. ALL OF IT! Is there a certain dish that is the one that will never change for you? What are you reasons?

Replies

• debkincaid77
    Options
    Lasanga, and for the same reasons you mentioned. I think it is more of a comfort food thing. I just make sure I do some exercise that day and earn the calories.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My Mom's scalloped potatoes.... some things just have to be full fat....I just have less of them!
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Fish and chips. No, I don't want the pan-seared fish with lemon and oven baked chips. Nor do I want just a small portion of the regular stuff. If I'm going to eat fish and chips, it's going to be a huge plate of proper, fully battered, deep fried fishy goodness with some good greasy crispy fresh handcut chips. I've already decided this is going to be my birthday meal in two weeks time, cause I've been craving it pretty hard lately. Because I want the huge fatty portion, it's something I rarely treat myself to. I haven't had it in several months.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Real pizza.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    White Castle Sliders.....No matter how bad they may be for you nothing tops them in my book.
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For me it's Carne Frita, tostones, maduros, and rice and beans (all Caribbean dishes with slight variations depending on whether it's Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, or Cuba). Carne Frita is fried pork morsels. Tostones and maduros are fried plantains prepared different ways and at different stages of the ripeness of the plantain. So the whole aspect of being fried has a lot to do with it, I think. Rice and beans is just better when there's a little pork fat cooking with the beans. So basically Caribbean night is a no go at my house.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    My semi-famous Muenster alfredo pasta with olives, bacon, and mushrooms. It is a ridiculous calorie- and fat-bomb, but it is so damn delicious that I don't care. I only make it once or twice a year; I can live with that.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Southern style corn pudding, the real stuff, not made with jiffy cornbread mix.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For me it's Carne Frita, tostones, maduros, and rice and beans (all Caribbean dishes with slight variations depending on whether it's Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, or Cuba). Carne Frita is fried pork morsels. Tostones and maduros are fried plantains prepared different ways and at different stages of the ripeness of the plantain. So the whole aspect of being fried has a lot to do with it, I think. Rice and beans is just better when there's a little pork fat cooking with the beans. So basically Caribbean night is a no go at my house.

I went to the DR last year and got hooked on tostones. For me they're the main event in the meal!
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I make Hungarian porkolt it must be done the 'right' way. I find that 'healthy' swaps affect the texture as well as the flavour, to the extent that you've made a different dish than the one you wanted.

I'm guessing this is a lot like the OP's stroganoff issue!
  • jdp9130
    jdp9130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My wife's Swiss steak for sure.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Here are mine:

Lasagna (tried doing veggie, low fat, whole grain versions and it was the first and only time my lasagna lasted more than a day. Never doing THAT again)

Meatloaf (mine is loaded with tomatoes, cheese, beef...cant do the turkey/tofu/ground chicken versions...they are disgusting)

Mashed potatoes (i have made it with regular whole milk instead of heavy cream but that is the ONLY modification I can make without my kids looking at me with hate in their eyes)

corn cakes/pumpkin pancakes (the only healthy thing I can add is protein powder...other than that, they have lots of vanilla, heavy cream, syrup and butter YUM-FREAKIN-MERS!)

chocolate cake (do I have to even explain this one?)

Mac and cheese (I think my kids cried the day I tried the "healthy" version and tried to burn my house down lol)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Anything I eat. I don't see the reason to alter the food you like, just eat it and stay within your goals. If that means eating less of it, eat less of it.
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I went to the DR last year and got hooked on tostones. For me they're the main event in the meal!

They are nothing short of incredible. If you decide to break from healthy eating, I suggest trying them with either mojo sauce, or ceviche. Adds a whole new realm of possibilities for tostones.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    All of them. Why change the way they taste when I can just eat less? Or save up the calories and eat the same amount?
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Fish and chips. No, I don't want the pan-seared fish with lemon and oven baked chips. Nor do I want just a small portion of the regular stuff. If I'm going to eat fish and chips, it's going to be a huge plate of proper, fully battered, deep fried fishy goodness with some good greasy crispy fresh handcut chips. I've already decided this is going to be my birthday meal in two weeks time, cause I've been craving it pretty hard lately. Because I want the huge fatty portion, it's something I rarely treat myself to. I haven't had it in several months.

I second this!
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I think my biggest one would be regular old milk. I've tried all types of soy and almond milk but I never liked the taste, and I love my 2% milk (in moderation!)
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the beef stroganoff. That and buffalo chicken wings.
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Macaroni and Cheese. When I make it I mix in jalapeno havarti and its so good. So not good for me, but as a treat meal every once in a while.
  • koootenay
    koootenay Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Fettuccine Alfredo and probably Mashed Potatoes with lots of full fat milk and butter, and maybe a little home-made beef gravy.

5lo58p.jpg

2ir6rkz.jpg