Cardio

Options
For those have lost 25 lbs more or less.
How much cardio did you do?

Replies

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Do cardio at least 3 times a week, for 30-60minutes (depending on your pace). Don't forget to do weights as well tho.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Adding in a consistent weight lifting program is just as important as cardio. Focus on the quality of your cardio, as in the intensity. Make every minute count and add in high-intensity intervals. If you just "put in the time" on the clock without enough effort you'll just be spinning your wheels.

What kind of cardio do you like? What are you doing currently?
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Every morning fast walk for 5 miles and 2 more with the dog in the afternoon.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I ran 3 days a week, anywhere from 2-9 miles, but I think keeping an eye on my diet was more important. Running helped me stay within my calories, though.
  • Fit_Mel422
    Fit_Mel422 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact when I first started using MFP way before it was so popular and being Fit was a thing to show off...I only did daily cardio because that was all I know...I would do 45 mins of the stair master or ellipitical and on the weekend i would do a walk/job of about 5 miles.... I did that for 4 months the first month I lost 13 pounds and then gradually lose a total of about 40 pounds. I am trying that theory now again... I am doing 30 days of cardio only to see what happens...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    cardio 3-4 times a week
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did loads - mostly cycling.
    Basically three sessions a week but one of those sessions could be a long ride, did my first 100 miler while still losing weight.
    I'm far more successful sustaining a moderate calorie deficit while still eating plenty of food.

I also did three sessions a week weight lifting.
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I started with 45-60 minutes of cardio in the beginning. Now I focus more on HIIT for my cardio in between lifting. I'll warm up with the ellipticals and end my session with a fast ten minute run.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 5+ times a week but I am a professional dance teacher so most of that is me at work. If you don't have much time to workout I would strongly suggest weight lifting in the time you do get to workout.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs doing 30mins of cardio once a week. I lift weights three days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    about 360 minutes, give or take per week. i'm a cyclist so i spend a lot of time on my bike. keep in mind that i've lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight doing this...weight management is largely about consumption, not what exercise you're doing or how much. i can ride my *kitten* off and still over-eat.

i also lift 2-3x per week.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    When I started it was swimming or the elliptical at the gym 2 or 3 times a week. Resistance training came later because I wasn't sure how to approach it at first. Cardio is good for you, but not strictly necessary to lose weight.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Adding in a consistent weight lifting program is just as important as cardio. Focus on the quality of your cardio, as in the intensity. Make every minute count and add in high-intensity intervals. If you just "put in the time" on the clock without enough effort you'll just be spinning your wheels.

What kind of cardio do you like? What are you doing currently?

So right now, I am running/ or using the elliptical. I am using it 5 times a week, trying to burn 800 calories to 1200 calories which will take 60 min - 120 min
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

30-50 miles per week running,
  • Commander_Keen
    Options

G-d bless.. how fast do you run, how many miles do you run per day?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I did cardio 5xs a week for 25-45 minutes (I did T25, then Insanity, and then Insanity Max 30).

When I learned more about strength training, I would do my cardio in the morning and body weight training in the evenings. It was pretty brutal and I don't recommend that, lol.

Now I pole 3-4 times a week so I've combined my cardio and body weight training.

You'll see your best results if you do cardio and strength training. Both are important.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

G-d bless.. how fast do you run, how many miles do you run per day?

At the moment I'm in a marathon cycle, so most sessions are about 6min/km. Most runs are in the order of 6-10 miles with a longer run at the weekend.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Went 180-> 149. Averaged 14 hours a week over 2015, so roughly 2 hours a day.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    6 days a week of cardio until just this week.

Started with Insanity which I loved and then moved onto running 4x a week (3x 4.5 Mile runs then '6K Sunday') with Insanity/T25/Max 30 on the non running days. Got down to 179lbs which is a 26lb lost. Got Norovirus which kicked the *kitten* out of me and I fell out of the routine for a few months :neutral:

From Monday I've had a new routine. 4 runs a week (starting at 5K for a month. Will gradually increase back up to 4.5Miles ) with 2 days weight training (Biceps+Chest & Shoulders+Triceps). Seems a nice balance of cardio and weight training and so far I'm enjoying it :smile:

Shaun.

• Commander_Keen
    Options
    L_Master wrote: »

Went 180-> 149. Averaged 17 hours a week over 2015, so roughly 2.5 hours a day.

wow. .2.5hrs a day? was it the same cardio?
    didn't you miss life out side the gym?
    weren't you afraid of over working your body?