How much weight?

Options
Apologies in advance if this sounds dumb...but i found a program on bodybuilding site that i want to try.. however it doesn't mention how much weight i need to pick up.. i have no idea ex. If i need to pick up a 5lb for a bent over row or heavier? Where do i start?

Or barbell squats...it says all these exercises and reps but no startin point for weights..

(I know everyone will have different strength levels but a startin or rough ball park would be appreciated..) how do u decide?

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    It should be a weight that you can only do the prescribed reps and then 1-2 more if you had to. There are rep calculators out there so for example, if you know you can do an exercise with 20lb weight 20 times, but the plan only calls for 10, it will tell you that you should be able to do 30lbs 10 times or 35lbs 5 times, etc...
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I would start with just the bar on the first day (as the bar is heavy itself). Add on the smallest plate on second day then see how you feel.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Google Wendler 5/3/1...He helps you figure out how to calculate how much weight you should be lifting. It really helped me get started...I'm now into my 4th cycle (19 weeks in) and have increased my strength and overall look tremendously. He's a little crass, but I think he knows what he's talking about...

Good luck! Weight lifting is addictive...Fair warning :wink:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    IMO a good program for beginners will give you a beginning weight or at least tell you how to figure out your beginning weight. What is the program that you've chosen?